AVIC411.com

Thinking about dumping Pioneer Z1 for this

http://www.hipepc.com/store/pc/Driv-N-Car-PC-c102.htm

Meet Driv-N (pronounced 'driven'): The future of automotive connectivity and entertainment. Brings all of the functionality of a high powered PC where it's never been before - your car. Watch DVD movies, listen to CDs, MP3s, enjoy XM satellite radio, Internet Radio and browse the web, while remaining connected to to your home or office PC in ways you've never imagined. Seamlessly access all of your home media files and documents without the clumsiness and risk of balancing a notebook on the passenger seat. Best of all, Driv-N can be controlled entirely by voice or touch controls for easy use. Features Include:

MEDIA PLAYER

MEDIA MANAGER

SATELLITE RADIO

FM RADIO

AUDIO MIXER

BLUETOOTH PHONE INTEGRATION

GPS NAVIGATION

WEB BROWSER

FREE WEATHER PLUGIN

REAR CAMERA

DVD PLAYER

OBD-II: ENGINE DIAGNOSTICS

MP3 PLAYER SUPPORT

MULTI LANGUAGE

TV TUNER

MULTIPLE-SCREENS

USB DEVICES

CUSTOM INTERFACES

AND MORE...

Yeah technology is pricey when you are on the cutting edge. I'm considering buying the low end Driv-N V17 Car PC for about $1,094.00 with basic configuration you can adapt it to the Z-1 or Z-2. Then volunteering my vehicle as a test platform for the integration of the 2 units to see if they will allow some sort of discount.

you have to love the price tag

From $2,189.00

by the time you get ODB2 and all the other crap ur looking @ $5000.

but i do love the fetures

Interesting, it looks like it has some cool functions. I wonder how long before someone convert it to Linux. Although a computer in a car would do great with windows. A typical use is probably about 30min then shut down, windows would be so stable that way. :lol:

So I wonder (hope) if products like this will push Pioneer to put some more cool stuff in the Z3. I wonder what the bootup time is. I would like to see some user reviews, especially after finding this in their Q/A.

Q: Having a computer in my car will be the greatest thing in the world! I'm going to buy the most expensive model with all the upgrades!

A: We'd agree with you there, however we always tell our customers to have realistic expectations when purchasing any new computer, especially a unique computer such as Driv-N. All of our models have nearly the same functionality, however the more powerful units are better for tasks such as multi tasking and speech recognition.

Buying too much computer often leads to 'buyer's remorse'. When buyer's remorse sets in, even the tiniest quirks such as a software crash or an Internet disconnection becomes a major issue that results in your desire to return the system, even though the computer itself is fine. Every computer is subject to software quirks, driver failures and operating system crashes. Think about how your desktop computer works - Does it ever lock up or crash? Any vehicle computer is prone to the same frustrations of a desktop computer. Granted, given the most common functions of a vehicle PC and the limited load they bear, you may experience far less crashes with Driv-N than with your home PC.

Oh no now we have to worry about viruses and spy ware in our cars. :evil: