AVIC411.com

Audi S4 Install with Pictures

:D This is a MAJOR Pain in the Ass to get installed.. No company on this earth makes a mounting kit for the S4.... I had to fabricate one myself out of MDF, then I covered it with Carbon Fiber. Tell me what you think...
The Z1 has XM, Sirius, Bluetooth, Backup Camera, Ipod, etc.....

James
I took out the Stock SYmphonhy, then detached the front face from the rest of the radio. I was then able to get a decent trace of the shape onto a piece of MDF board. I then measured the exact dimenstions of the radio and got it as close as I could to the shape of the symphony. I used a jig saw to cut the MDF and I cut it 1 1/8 bigger all around so I could sand it to form the exact shape I wanted. Once I got it right I just mounted the head unit into the MDF with some l brackets on the back side. It is such a tight fit in the radio housing it can't move anyway. As far as the Fit, the Avic-z1 is tight but does fit the B5.

Once it was close I tested fitted it in the radio location. The hardest part was cutting out the center where the radio sits, thats a pain to get right. I went through about 3 of them before I was satisfied with the result. I had planned to just match the flat black paint, it looked 7 out of 10.... I wanted more... I read somewhere about the vynal Carbon Fiber, so I went on ebay and bought a 4 foot piece, it is self adhesive and went on the MDF like a charm. It looked 9 out of 10, but the wod trim just above it looked off, so I pulled the piece and matched it with the same carbon fiber hence the photo... It is very clean now, I wold love to have the brushed aluminum trim or piano black to match it but it is too much... I may pull the shifter cover and use the CF on that too.

I also just installed one of these in my buddys A6 2.7t and it looks nice, but not as custom. Metra makes a kit for him, but it is for 2 single din units and you have to fuss with it. I may make him one like mine too.

Thanks for the Complements, if anyone wants help let me know.

James
Hey man, that looks great. I've got the Z1 wedged into my '00 S4. I don't have any pictures yet, because I'm really not happy with the finish, yet. I've got the stock wood trim, which I love, but I'm having a really hard time matching the semi-flat black panel. I think I'll just end up fiberglasing it, and painting it. Looks like you've got the same problem I do; the stock 4X4 stance.....I'm ordering Stasis tracksports in Sept. Car looks great, man.
  • 3 months later...
It does look really good, James. In the pix, the CF looked great, but knowing what the rest of the car looks like, it would look out of place, only being in the center radio stack. My kit is ordered, & will be in next week- Can't wait to get the crappy looking piece that's in there now, out. Thanks for the tip, bro.
-Matt