AVIC411.com

Having had 2 Blaupunkt VWnavis installed prior to the D1, there were two things that bothered me about the D1:
1. The total lag of theft protection. :cry:
2. The screen almost washed out totally in direct sunlight. :shock:

The Blaupunt would be tied in to the alarm system AND was of no use to anyone without the code number, which was required to be entered when re-installing it.
The Screen on the Blaupunkt had a far better, polarized coating for glare protection.

Question:
Has Pioneer done anything with the Z1 that would provide theft deterrent :?:
Has the screen coating been improved so that it's better in sunlight :?:
[quote name="Passat 05"]
Question:
Has Pioneer done anything with the Z1 that would provide theft deterrent :?:
Has the screen coating been improved so that it's better in sunlight :?:[/quote]
No, not 1 thing believe it or not.... i guess they assume that nobody steals stereos anymore :roll:
I Would say yes but dont quote me on that, I just noticed that the screen looks better than the my old D1, When i have my sunroof open i dont have the same visibility problems that i had with the D1. But again i cant ell you if anything was changed, or if its just me.
[quote name="Passat 05"]Well if I put in a Z1 I will bolt it down so tight they'll need a chainsaw to pull it out. :D
But first they'll have to get by the new alarm system that's going in.
Anyone know how to install an automatic stun gun :?: :?:[/quote]

In my past experience of having my car stolen, if the theif wants it bad enough, they will get it. The worst thing you can do is "deter" the theif so much that you piss them off and they break the beautiful LCD of the Z1...trust me if they can't get it out they will do something to make you wish you let them have it. The way I solved this issue is I bumped my car insurance to cover the cost of a new Z1 if someone steals it. There really is no sense in letting the theif tear apart your dash and still take Z1 vs. keeping your dash intact and letting them have the Z1. Does anyone else agree with this thought?
In a way I agree with you. However I also believe that most scum will move on to the next victim when they realize that this one isn't easy.

The best line of defense is still the deterrent of an alarm system.
I've had two VWs broken into over the last 2 years. In both cases they broke a window and didn't open a door to avoid the alarm going off.

Hopefully adding an inside motion detector or a glass break detector will send them along to an easier target.
Depending on their IQ they might get some satisfaction from doing damage but hopefully most of them are just thieves with no other malicious intend. ..... Or am I being very naive? :cry:
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm of the "bolt em down" mentality. My Z1 is held in by a 1/4" steel plate and nylock nuts. The way my dash is made, there's no way for them to get a hold of it to pry either. It would take a 4 foot crow bar to even come close to getting it out. If they damaged the dash, insurance would cover that anyway. My agent took pictures of all my equipment, and it's fully covered. My amps are hidden under the seat, and I changed the seat bolts with security torx bolts. The bolts that actually hold the amps to the floor are security torx too. I also have one of those paging alarm systems. The pager works even when I'm hundreds of feet away in the back of Kroger. I have glass breakage, radar interior protection, dual stage shock, and 2 battery backups. If they set off the alarm, I figure the way everything is bolted down, it will take them at least a few minutes to get close to getting anything out. By that time, I can be at my car ready to kick their ass. :)
  • 2 weeks later...
My dash has a large removable plastic trim and under that most of the structure is just regular ABS plastic.
So I had to think real hard about protecting this unit, since my avic90 was just ripped right out. The plastic metra mounting kit didnt even slow them down.

Im in the process of having a custom bracket machined out of aluminum with a 1/16" groove milled all along the perimeter and back.

The unit gets locktite security torxed down into the bracket so that the only option is to rip the whole bracket assembly out of the dash.
A length of steel cable will be anchored to the bracket.
Once its installed, it will be pulled tight then bolted to the metal frame work under the dash.

But the grooves hold long slim razor blades like the type used in floor scrapers. The harder they pull the deeper it cuts.
I have chain maille butchers gloves for the install.

Also adding a few 135dB air horns inside to make it loud and confusing.

I was able to bump my insurance up to cover the radio (only $70 a year)
And I have full coverage for the rest of the interior
[quote name="tech10002"]I'm of the "bolt em down" mentality. My Z1 is held in by a 1/4" steel plate and nylock nuts. [/quote]

It is my belief that nylock only prevents the nuts from loosening due to vibration, but they are still removable easily using regular wrenches no? (maybe stupid question)

[quote]
My agent took pictures of all my equipment, and it's fully covered.
[/quote]

Best way!

[quote]
My amps are hidden under the seat, and I changed the seat bolts with security torx bolts. The bolts that actually hold the amps to the floor are security torx too.
[/quote]

Ingenious idea, i have been planning my install and gathering together all the misc parts that i will be needing, i never considering using security torx to install, but this will definitely be going in.

Thing is, security torx is kind of a joke now isnt it? You can get all the drivers at sears for 9.99. But i guess an ounce more of prevention is worth a pound more of cure.

[quote]
I also have one of those paging alarm systems. The pager works even when I'm hundreds of feet away in the back of Kroger. I have glass breakage, radar interior protection, dual stage shock, and 2 battery backups. If they set off the alarm, I figure the way everything is bolted down, it will take them at least a few minutes to get close to getting anything out. By that time, I can be at my car ready to kick their ass. :)[/quote]

I like your style bro, you must live in miami like me :D
[quote name="Tickbrotha"]
But the grooves hold long slim razor blades like the type used in floor scrapers. The harder they pull the deeper it cuts.
I have chain maille butchers gloves for the install.
[/quote]

WOW, razor blades, thats awesome, we need pics!!!!

thing is needing Chain Maille gloves just to install, thats taking it a bit far isnt it? but then again i dont know where you live.. Maybe you live in the cocaine capital like me.. MIA..
I am going to rig a 44 magnum inside the air conditioning vent., and tie the unit to the trigger using a series of pullys and fishing line. I figure ill have enough slack that they can get the unit just barly out of the dash when the trigger will pull and shoot them in the face. I will have attack dogs on standby that are trained to attack at the sound of gunfire. Lastly, for backup, I am going to have Gary Coleman in the trunk 24/7, his agent said hes available for $50 a week.

Seriously, the razorblade idea sounds funny, I HAVE to see pics of this.