AVIC411.com

About everyones vss wires

I know for people that live out in the woods and don't always have total sat coverage for the nav portion of their units it makes it alittle easier to stay on track on the screen. but why is it that everyone really needs to hook up the vss wire when really there is no need for it. all these tom toms and megellions ect. don't need a vss wire, why should a d n or z really have it hooked up.

Not looking for any rude comments but everyone that i have talked to has asked about hooking up the vss wire and can i get the wire color for them. i don't care that they've asked or anyone else. i don't have it hooked up and neither does my boss and ours work just fine. i have needed help and everyone here has been very helpful so just trying to show some love back.

Had a D1 in my car with no VSS...worked perfectly "fine". Put in a D3 in the same car, same wiring including the GPS antenna and it just wasn't as accurate after thousands of miles. Tried a new antenna, still no good. Hooked up the VSS wire, cleared the learning status and Shazam! it was even more accurate than my D1.

Sold my buddy a Z1 and he complained about it being off by like a quarter of a block after a few days. Got off my lazy ass and hooked up the VSS and it too was far more accurate.

Don't knock it til you try it, it should take you ten minutes. They recommend it for a reason

its gonna vary from car to car and unit to unit. i always hook it up if the car has one. my buddies shop never hooks it up and almost never has an issue. my own car does not have a vss wire, and i thought my z1 was kinda lame. it was functional, but i know it could have been better with the vss. other units like alpine and eclipse dont work at all without it. the unit has no idea where the car is. with pioneer its hit or miss, or just personal preference on how picky you are

my buddies shop never hooks it up and almost never has an issue.

Now I see why so many are complaining about the positioning accuracy of these units. Whether it is useless, useful or necessary probably doesn't depend so much on the car (other than GPS antenna location) but rather on typical satellite coverage for that person.

Here's my story. I had my d3 for about a month and the vss wire wasn't hooked up, part of my street is on the map but not the part where my house is, so everytime I parked my car in the garage (losing my gps signal and my reverse wire not connect which is the purple and white wire also they will tell you its only for the camera no its not its so the nav will know its going in reverse instead of moving forward) so I would reverse out and the arrow would go every where for about 2 minutes trying to get on track which is not good! Now with the reverse and the vss wire connected its perfect and its stay where it should be. Also the reverse wire (purple/white) should be connected to the positive reverse light wire!

Good question!

on my Z1 i didnt have mine hooked up and to make a 20 mile drive it would estamate an hour at 70 mph so the accuaracy of the map and eta is all i can see it helped

No that's not true it helped a lot it learned routes very quick and it helps a lot when the gps signal is gone like parking in the garage and backing back (with the reverse wire hooked up) so I strongly suggest that you hook up the pink and the purple/white wire and the purple/white wire is not only just for the camera "SO STOP SAYING THAT" it lets the nav know its going in reverse so your arrow won't go forward instead of backwards that would make the arrow of track!

So if you don't have it hooked up hook it up and see how much better it works!

• 4 weeks later...

I had a D2 in my wife's car for months - no VSS hook-up and the unit was running fine with pretty good accurate routing - I bought a D2 unit for myself and found that it was throwing me off miles ahead of where I actually was - I decided to hook-up the VSS and it started working fine and giving me accurate mapping - It's there for a reason I guess... so I also hooked it up in her car and it's even better than it was before.