AVIC411.com

NO installer is ready to put ducatiboy circuit

Guest eu_phoria

Guest eu_phoria
hi,
i asked bunch of installers in our area, south jesey but everyone says that we cant put it, some say its not permitted by law , some say its not safe and we dont know what it might do to unit, please any feedback for what should i do . others say that if i do alter the installation they did than it voids the installation and unit warranty. i am kinda wondering to what to do . please advice thanks
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably a no no for a shop to install this since the lock-out is in place to satisfy the law. In fact if you get into an accident and tell the cops that you were distracted by the DVD you were watching, they'll want to know who did the mod and might charge them.
The answer is to install it yourself. It looks pretty simple.
As all that it does is flash the lights automatically, nothing is done to the Z1 itself and nothing can harm it or even be traceable if it had to be taken in for repairs.
Now remember: Watching DVD while driving is for Passengers only!! :shock:
[quote name="Anonymous"]
[b]As all that it does is flash the lights automatically[/b], nothing is done to the Z1 itself and nothing can harm it or even be traceable if it had to be taken in for repairs.
:shock:[/quote]
Well that is not exactly what it does. It does not flash the lights at all...it makes the Z1 think the lights were flashed. As for the install goes...very simple I believe most people will have more problems removing the HU from the dash. The actual install of the Ducatiboy unit (after finding all the wires) should take less than 30 mins.
Well...if you're not comfortable taking the HU from the dash I would suspect installing the Ducatiboy unit is the least of your worries. Hopefully you find someone willing to do the install for you. I know it's possible because some users have had success with having the units installed. Too bad I live in the west coast because I would've been glad to help you.
I don't think it's against the law to unlock the Z1 with the bypass. If that were the case, ALL factory units would also be locked. My 06 Acura unit works just fine when in motion...as I'm hearing most European models do. So it can't be a legal issue. My guess is it's a liability issue. If that's the case, I'm sure an installer would shy away from it.

It really is easy to hook up Ducatiboy's circuit. As long as you can get your head unit out, you can splice it in. It's almost foolproof.
[quote name="03Aviator"]I don't think it's against the law to unlock the Z1 with the bypass. If that were the case, ALL factory units would also be locked. My 06 Acura unit works just fine when in motion...as I'm hearing most European models do. So it can't be a legal issue. My guess is it's a liability issue. If that's the case, I'm sure an installer would shy away from it.

It really is easy to hook up Ducatiboy's circuit. As long as you can get your head unit out, you can splice it in. It's almost foolproof.[/quote]'

In NJ, it is illegal to have motion video playing on a screen in view of the driver. I had a small monitor that was no longer hooked up in my last truck and I couldnt even pass inspection until I removed the screen. They gave me a red rejected sticker and a month or two grace period to remove it.

I dont think, however, that it is illegal to have the navigation features unlocked; it's just a liability issue that no one wants to take responsibility for. Thank the lawyers and the greedy jackasses that take no responsibility for their own actions.
That makes sense. I know that even though I can now watch a DVD on the Z1, I think it's irresponsible to do so...and if you were in an accident and they discovered you were watching a DVD, you would be in a heap of trouble...especially if you hurt someone else Wouldn't be too hard to tell either if you're car was disabled to the point you couldn't eject the DVD...or you were hurt and were unable to get to it.
[quote name="eu_phoria"]hi,
i asked bunch of installers in our area, south jesey but everyone says that we cant put it, some say its not permitted by law , some say its not safe and we dont know what it might do to unit, please any feedback for what should i do . others say that if i do alter the installation they did than it voids the installation and unit warranty. i am kinda wondering to what to do . please advice thanks[/quote]

If you're willing to come up to Deptford, i'll have my installer put it in for you...Custom Factory Installation...
Guest eu_phoria
hi tomar,
yeah deptford is not too far. please let me know what you meant by custom factory installation ? i have rav4 2006. please if you can leave your email , i can message you thanks
custom factory installation is the name of the company. They are located in Deptford...they worked on both my benz and bimmer. Cool guys and don't charge alot. I'd be happy to have them work on the rav..

I thought i was set up for PM...if not, you can email me at
troy-mart@msn.com...please put AVIC Deptford in the subject line so I know it's not a spam...I only keep this email address to divert spam.
If an installer will not put the flasher in (or atleast step aside for 5 minutes while you install it yourself), then they do not need your hard earned money. An option is to provide the installer with the directions for install without explaining what the circuit does (don't ask, don't tell policy).

As another option, you can have your installer label the 3 wires the flasher curcuit needs and make sure they are accessable from under the dash. The install is pretty simple, so you could just do it yourself after the shop is complete.

I would NEVER purchase and install the Z1 without the flasher circuit. Far too much functionality is disabled without it (phone and navigation).

One final thought: If a person's desire is to drive a car AND watch a movie at the same time, then they are being very inconsiderate of their own saftey and the saftey of all others too.