AVIC411.com

car speed signal input

I've got a chevy blazer...

If you dont hook the vss up, does it disable some of the internal features of the d3? (doesnt the headunit have gyros and some nifty on screen displays that tell you how much of a maniac you are while driving?)

knowing its optional means its most likely not getting attached either way i guess..thanks for the response

(now i just gotta finish modifying my 1.5in dash to fit the double din. woo)

If you ALWAYS have clear sight of at least 3 GPS satellites, then the VSS won't gain you much. However if you drive around tall buildings, in the forest, in a mountainous area, tunnels, etc. and still want to show a good approximate location then you should hook up the VSS & reverse gear signals.

However... when using the VSS & reverse signals you have to keep this in mind - the more you drive without an adequate GPS signal, the more mis-calibrated the D3 will get. And unfortunately when it's really mis-calibrated it will show the wrong location even when a good GPS signal is there. You'd expect the GPS location to override the D3's guess based on sensors but that is not the case. This can be demonstrated. Personally I still use the VSS, etc. though because it's makes it very accurate - even off roads.

Is the VSS wire on the D3 an analog or digital input? (my '08Audi A4 has an analog output from the vehicle, I believe) Also, is the reverse signal just +12v or nothing - i.e. on or off? Same question for illumination. Reason I'm asking is because I don't want to have to buy another CAN BUS adapter just for these wires (which I do want to hook up).