AVIC411.com

Poor routing, out of date data

[quote] Okay, this is for those that think gps and routing is a perfect science, I plotted a route from my house in the San Francisco peninsula to UCSD.

Yahoo Maps 496.1 miles 6 hours 53 min
Mapquest 497.49 miles 7 hours 38 min
Mapblast 488.4 miles 7 hours 9 min
Streets & Trips 505.6 miles 8 hours 9 min
Pocketmap 499.6 miles 7 hours 2 min
AVIC-Z1 (30/45/65) 496 miles 9 hours 8 min
AVIC-Z1 (35/45/70) 496 miles 8 hours 30 min

The AVIC reports the most time, they all take a little different route in the LA area so the difference in time. I suspect the AVIC maps database does not account for a large section of interstate 5 has speed limit of 75 mph, thus the time is longer[/quote]

This is not realy correct test. Because there is not many options how to get from you home to San Francisco. Try something local.
I plotted route from my home to my work

Avic - 18.9 miles 48 minutes
Tom Tom 12.6 miles 26 minutes
MIcrosoft Map Point - 13 miles 23 minutes.

I think Avic can't even calculate right route becouse it takes average speed limits into accaunt instead of real speed limits.
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest
I think you missed the point, that was not a test. With a straight forward route with as little option as possible, the different software should come up with very similar results - that was my point, no option, no side street, no shortcut.
  • 2 weeks later...
I have returned my Avic-z1 for full refund. Got instead Kenwood ddx-8017 plus KNA-G510.
Sound quality of Kenwood much better then Pioneer. Navigation is not as easy to use as Avic-z1, map has not as many details as Avic-z1, but routing is much better. So far, I have no bad routes, no wrong turns and missing POI. However, I have to admit Pioneer is more user friendly and Avic-z1 navigation has more futures then Kenwood
Here's my update....

I know I'm gonna be called a Pioneer fan-boy for this but I still REALLY love this unit. Here's what I did:

Bought a Magellan 860T
Navigation was OK but it would lock up and occassionally in the middle of a route it would tell me "no route to destination" and cancel the route, it also has TDS (sp?) traffic info which was useless, never told me anything...so

I returned it and bought a Garmin 2730 because it does XM traffic routing plus XM radio and it can play music and nav at the same time unlike the Magellan. The unit works well enough but it is constantly turning me in the wrong directions or taking me extremely round about ways.

Went to my in-laws this weekend and decided to try my father in laws..I can't remember the name right now, it was a brand I hadn't come accross before and according to my F-I-L it got great reviews. This thing would constantly tell me to make uturns if I didn't like the route it was taking me.

The one thing these other 3 units did do better is estimate the travel time. My pioneer unit is off my almost 25-30% on every trip which is irritating. However, in every other aspect it has outperformed these other GPS units.

That said, I have no idea how it pairs up to other full blown in dash nav units like Alpines or Kenwoods, but I still am not getting the errors on my unit that others are reporting.
[quote name="03Aviator"]I went in and changed my default speeds for the different types of roads and it made a HUGE difference in the estimated time accuracy.[/quote]

What settings did you use? I tried my best guess at the actual speeds -- 79, 64, 39 -- and I didn't see any difference.
  • 1 year later...
PIONEERS ROUTING LOGIC IS BAD.

ITS NOT THE TELEATLAS MAPS!

I HAVE A MIO C310X ($150) WITH THE SAME MAPS AND IT KILLS MY Z2 IN TERMS OF EFFICENT ROUTING!

MORE THAN PISSED!

THANKS PIONEER!
Amen brother! Sold mine. I like to drop in from time to time to see if they will fix this issue. Pioneer will not even acknowledge they have a routing problem. Call them and complain you will be disappointed. They told me 20 to 30 miles out of my way was acceptable. I responded not on three dollar a gallon gas its not. Good luck