AVIC411.com

SWI-PS Programming Troubles

My Steering Wheel Controls are screwed up already after only a couple days installed in my 2006 Impala SS.

After <15min of driving, it will just start changing the "band" on me without anything being pressed...and it would freeze the screen and not allow me to press any on-screen buttons. If I press one of the hard buttons on the HU, it would unfreeze everything for a moment, but then the SWC module would start changing the band again. After I unplugged the module it went back to normal, so it's not the D3.

This problem could be possibly due to it not being the latest firmware (there is a bulletin at PAC's website) or the fact that I programmed the last 3 functions into one button in an attempt to "skip" the two functions. I hope it's not a firmware issue, b/c I did not buy from an authorized ebay seller and returning it to them (the seller) will likely get me another unit with the same FW.

Anyway, I reprogrammed the SWI-PS this AM after reading through the non-Impala-specific instructions on the PAC website. I realize I did the "skip function" wrong (you need to press the MODE button on the PAC module to skip a function). I only have 7 buttons on the wheel and I wanted my up and down buttons to change the presets, not "seek" channels, so it was necessary to skip those two functions. It works, but it seems that I didn't hold the MUTE button long enough b/c that doesn't work now. :roll: ...so I gotta try the programming one more time.

I read elsewhere (member CRXX...somethingorother) that the car should be running while I attempt the program? The instructions say to turn the key to "ON" but makes no mention of actually starting the car. I have ACC, ON, and CRANK positions for the key. Also, can the PAC module be plugged into the D3 at this time? It already is, and I don't want to have to keep taking the HU out to reprogram this damn thing.

Lastly, it's not clearing the stored info as the directions claim it should when holding the MODE button in while turning the vehicle to ON. The light just goes off immediately after letting go of the button.

Anyway, I'm going to let this fly for a while and see if this clears up my "sporadic band switching" troubles. If anyone sees what I might have done wrong, let me know.

Well, I guess the reprogram didn't work, so I'm leaning towards it being an earlier Firmware version and me being SOL. Might have to bite the bullet and buy a new module from somewhere that is guaranteed to have the latest FW version.

However, the bulletin states that this does not apply to vehicles using the programmin version that I need (v1).

I'm going to try to get this to clear the memory and then do one more learn procedure and see what happens. If all else fails, I will contact the seller and get a new model, and if that fails, I just don't know. :?

what loops did you cut? what wire are u using from the interface? this is what ive got off of their website

CUT THE BROWN LOOP!!

The INTERFACE's wire color we are going to use is Green. This is the Green wire on the INTERFACE, not the vehicle!

The other wires

Connect the INTERFACE's Green wire to...pin 6 (Blue) of the above connector

If you are using a radio replacement interface that provides a SWC output wire, disregard all connection and version number directions provided with this document, only following the programming steps. Refer to the radio replacememt interface instructions for version number and connection information

now where did you get power from for the swips? the radio? you may need to power it elsewhere.

as far as programming here goes

Press and hold the 'Mode' button on the INTERFACE while turning on the vehicle to the accessory position. The LED will turn on.

2. Release the 'Mode' button and the LED will turn off.

3. Press the 'Mode' button 1 times. Each time you press and release the 'Mode' button, the LED will turn on and off. Once you press the "Mode" button 1 times, wait for 3 seconds. The LED will flash 1 times indicating it is programmed for version 1. If it flashes the wrong version number, you will have to start all over at step 1 above in this section. Turn the key off.

4. Once you have programmed the correct version number, you will not have to do these steps again. If you need to reprogram the SWC, you can go directly to the next section

then program volume up, vol down, mute, track up, track down, source then wait untill the light flashes 7 times then ur done

if you did all this (as im sure u did) you should have no problems. if problems continue then wire up a relay with 12volts from a diferent location than the radio and also ground the peswips somewhere else

good luck !!!!

Yes, I did tap into the HU for power. I'll look into another location for this. I did cut the brown loop and left the purple loop alone. Also, I did run the green wire to the blue wire on the green OEM connector at the BCM.

One thing I noticed in those instructions is that I am starting from scratch each time, instead of skipping to the programming stage as #4 below suggests. I'll try it once more that way, and then look for a new power source.

I've sent an eMail to PAC outlining my troubles. I conveniently left out the fact that I bought from an unauthorized source. :wink:

Thanks for your help.

OK, I tried a couple more options and found the result the same. So being utterly fed up with the SWC problems, here's the question I eMailed to PAC Audio. Conveniently "fibbing" regarding the purchase location so that they didn't tell me to get lost :wink:

Hello,

I recently purchased a SWI-PS SWC module for my Pioneer AVIC-D3 headunit that I installed in my 2006 Impala SS (non-Bose). The unit was purchased from Main Auto Sound in Buffalo, NY, but I won't be back in the area for a while, so I'm trying to troubleshoot the unit until I can see them about my problem.

I followed your install instructions exactly as they were written, but there is a problem. The unit keeps flipping bands on me without a button being pressed.

I read the one bulletin for the SWI-PS, regarding the last learned function (in my case the "band" button) causing issues, but since my vehicle uses version 1 programming, it should not be affected. Also, that bulletin states that the last learned function is sent when pressing any button. In my case, "BAND" is being sent by without anything being touched.

Another issue is that the programming cannot be erased, from what I can tell. According to your instructions, holding down the PROGRAMMING/MODE button on the interface while turning the key to ON should illuminate the LED, which will stay lit until the programming has been cleared. My unit is not doing that...the LED shuts off immediately after letting go of the MODE button.

Have you heard of any issues with this particular model in my vehicle?

Please let me know if there is anything that you can do to help me figure this out until I get back to Buffalo in late March.

Thanks for your assistance.

Here's the answer I got from PAC Audio:

Hello

Please wire a .47 microfarad capacitor one side to the green steering wheel interface wire and the other side to ground.

Thank You.

Jose J.Martinez

Technical Support

Pacific Accessory Corporation.

Anyway, I replied to Jose's eMail and asked:

Would this be a temporary or permanent fix? Should I get the unit replaced or is this problem common of all SWI-PS units? Thanks.

And he got back to me w/in minutes with:

This happens on GM vehicles, it's a permanent fix.

Thank You.

Jose J.Martinez

Technical Support

Pacific Accessory Corporation.

So it seems this unit "off the shelf" is not compatible with some GM vehicles. I've got a friend from another forum that is going to get me a couple capacitors to work with, so I should be able to get this remedied early next week.

yup im scratchin my head.

all i can think of is while your programming are you holding the button for 1 or more seconds? if not try it

after reading your post again you may try to only program one button then let it flash 7 times and see if your problem persists

it sounds like a button is stuck. maybe whatever you programed band to

try just volume up then let it time out

again good luck

Just goes to show that I didn't even bother to look at them. Since I didn't need them, why would I? The point I was making was that when you buy stuff from ebay (I buy/sell ebay, so don't get butthurt about this) sometimes you don't get everything you want/need. Is saving 10 bucks or whatever, worth the time spent trying to figure out why your stuff doesn't work? For me, NO. Just my opinion. But, if you still want my resistors, you're welcome to em.

p.s. did I mention that my steering wheel controls work perfect? :D

I buy most everything on eBay, cept this HU. Basically, it comes down to PAC not including the right info on my vehicle, nor did it come with what I need to install it. No biggie. Just need to find a small enough capacitor to wire in.

hottwhyrd...I did with no success.