AVIC411.com

They stole my D3! Whats my "better" option

Well, I had a rude awakening this morning, when I found my window smashed and my fully loaded (every module, xmradio bluetooth ipod connector etc...) D3 gone from my dash (and my ipod) For whatever reason, Im not really that bent out of shape about it. It is a very good indash radio, it just didnt excel at none of its parts. Like navigation taking questionable routes, ipod navigation was atrocious (if you had more than 40 tracks, and who the hell has so few tracks on their ipod) The divx support was weak, no built in HD or solid state memory forcing you to always keep the navigation DVD always around, and dont get me started on the bluetooth module! I could go on and on about its shortcomings. But, despite all that it was a very feature packed indash, and for the price, their seems to be few in the market that could replace it. That brings me to the point of this discussion, What are the "better" options for indash touch screen navigations in the market.

I have an older Eclipse 5435 and I love it.It's doesn't have a HD but it has a cd and a dvd slot so I can play a cd/mp3 disk while the nav dvd does its thing.Navigation so far is accurate,dvd's look fantastic,pre-out volts 5.0 and I paid the same price or less than what the D3 goes for.I got mine from Misfit.See if he can hook you up,tell him I sent you! Now get an alarm,I did. The Viper 5900 !

Aurena,

Before buying the AVIC D3 I hungout on this message board and many others to get a sense of how satisfied people were with their D3 purchase. Mostly everyone seemed to be satisfied so several weeks ago I pulled the trigger and bough the D3 with ipod and blue tooth. After having the unit for almost 3 weeks I am wondering how many people on these boards would fail a drug test because they have been writing while impaired. The D3 fails way short of my expectations and even failed on a few expectations I did know I had. For instance, after having the unit installed, I lost 95% of all my FM stations. WTF? I have been using portable and in-dash navigation units since 2003 and this is by far the absolute worse navigation I have ever used. This unit has been tested side by side with my portable Garmin and as expected, the Garmin wins every time.

I definitely don't want my ish stolen but I understand how you are using it as a motivator to get BIGGER & BETTER! I am considering the Kenwood Nav unit but I heard the Z2 succeeds at the D3's shortcomings so I may giev it a try sometime down the road.

I have a dnx7100 in one car, d3 in one car, n an n2 in another. There are some features that I like better in the pioneers but overall I would rather buy the kenwood again. Full ipod control (audio and video) on the kenwood including the classic. If ur looking for something similar to the D3 and in it's price range, I would look at the NEW kenwood dnx5120. Similar to the D3; u can change color, change start up image, no moving display, single slot dvd, but flash gps so no taking out ur nav dvd...seen it on ebay for around $700.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I am looking into getting the dnx5120, it seems to be the most sensible choice. But, my only concern with this unit is the lack of any real world reviews online (at least I could not find any) But it seems to match the pioneers specs. Hey TitanNav, what would you consider the kenwoods low points in comparison to the pioneer?

Thanks again guys