AVIC411.com

RIPPING MUSIC

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. You can, for example, burn an audio CD in iTunes and rip it to the Z2 -- I do it all the time.

I don't know why it says that in the manual / product descriptions, but my guess is they were either trying to dodge the confusion of what an audio CD is (Vs. MP3 cd, which could be confused as a CD with audio on it), or they were trying to appease the RIAA. Doesn't matter really since you can do it ;)

Thanks for your help. The reason I asked is, my father has the Z2 installed in his 07 Suburban and he ripped burned CD's that he had made, and the unit took it, a month later the hard drive went out, do you think that it was the burned music, or did the unit just happen to take a crap.

• 3 weeks later...
been doing it for 2 years with no problems.

definitely unrelated

And if you burn the CD with CD-TXT, you don't have to manualy enter titles etc. either... :wink:

Yup!

Also, if you have a truly accurate rip, and re-burn to audio without cd-text, the Z2 will find the title in its CDDB database (assuming it's in there). Although, I've seen this fail. Best to just do CD-text if you've got it.

In my experience it has been better not to use CD-text and let gracenote find the CD. Why? Because all the voice recognition titles will load automatically with gracenote.

It would, except if I burn it on CD I usually make my own mix, so there's no way it can recognise the CD (as it doesn't exist in that form :wink: )

Also, even with a 1-to-1 copy, the gracenote database sometimes doesn't recognize the newer CD's. The online databases for automatically generating the cd-text info are usually more up to date....

• 1 month later...

It would, except if I burn it on CD I usually make my own mix, so there's no way it can recognise the CD (as it doesn't exist in that form :wink: )

Also, even with a 1-to-1 copy, the gracenote database sometimes doesn't recognize the newer CD's. The online databases for automatically generating the cd-text info are usually more up to date....

i thought that too but i popped in a random mix cd the other day and it found and named most of the songs. or does it refer to cd text if gracenote can't find it?

i thought that too but i popped in a random mix cd the other day and it found and named most of the songs. or does it refer to cd text if gracenote can't find it?

Nope, only if cd-txt is actually on there...

Yes. You can, for example, burn an audio CD in iTunes and rip it to the Z2 -- I do it all the time.

I don't know why it says that in the manual / product descriptions, but my guess is they were either trying to dodge the confusion of what an audio CD is (Vs. MP3 cd, which could be confused as a CD with audio on it), or they were trying to appease the RIAA. Doesn't matter really since you can do it ;)

I'm an old school guy using mp3 music and I did not use itunes at all so would you mind to give me more details on how to go from mp3 to itunes, burn on CD(how about DVD?) and finaly upload to the hard drive?

Thanks in advance.