AVIC411.com

Avic Z2 TO Z3 Upgrade

umm where is the image, everyone seems examing it, how about let everyone examine it :D

This is more about WHAT the mash-up image (used by god knows how many e-bay sellers right now) really is... not where to get it. I can't help with that. (Besides, passing around untested backups of a complicated piece of hardware which include firmware modifications with unknown consequences, only to have dozens of people brick their Z's then come crying back screaming bloody murder, is NOT good PR. Most people should consider themselves lucky others are willing to risk bricking their Z's so they don't have to.)

Anyway, I've concluded testing.

Inserting the Mash-up image in a Z2 (at least mine, upgraded from a Z1) does in fact run the white-on-black firmware update application we're all used to seeing: "The program is being updated. Do not turn power off." However, it seems to be more of a DOWNGRADE:

• [*:sx62u5cx]The VERSION went from 02.0000 to 03.0000[*:sx62u5cx]CDDB is now 08-01-0010 ( 2008-02-08 )[*:sx62u5cx]Platform Version went from 2.000500 to 2.000400[*:sx62u5cx]GPS Program Version remained at 1.200000[*:sx62u5cx]HDD Application Version went from 2.140000 to 2.130000

My fear is now that I will not be able to "upgrade" to the real 3.0 when it becomes available. Will it see that I'm "already" on 3.0 and assume the upgrade is not necessary? ... =\

As for what's changed, truly it's just Maps, POI's, XM icons, and MAYBE voice recognition. Unlike the Z1 to Z2, there's not a single enhancement in any of the menus. MAYBE it seemed a tiny bit faster zooming in and out of the map screen, and MAYBE the lines (streets and NavTraffic) looked a tiny bit smoother. ...then again, it could be all in my head.

So, I'm not so sure this is the image that should be spread around the webernets. If nothing else comes up and if map updates are that important to you, then perhaps there'll be no other way. For now though, it'd be worth waiting for something more official to come down the pike.... should be very soon...

mashup.png

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I don't wanna play with any of the mashups on ebay.... I only want a virgin Z3 image :P

I agree. Another user on this thread has verified HDD App and Platform version of atleast 3.0. No sense spending time screwing with someones Franken-ware.

Looks like I have the same numbers as jojogrosso above, with the exception of his first pic that shows the "Component Version". How do I get to that screen? I'm talking about the first pic in his post with the white background that shows Platform, GPS, HDD info etc...

Refer to the .pdf I posted earlier in this thread...

Here's what I have:

Opening splash screen:

1984-2008

Rel. 02/2008

Service Info Screen:

version 03.0000

cddb 08-01-0010 (only because I updated to this last night)

Hidden Component Vers Screen:

platform 3.000100

gps 1.200000

hdd 3.100200

Look good???

BTW - Thanks for the .pdf instructions bridge4d :cool:

Here's what I have:

Opening splash screen:

1984-2008

Rel. 02/2008

Service Info Screen:

version 03.0000

cddb 08-01-0010 (only because I updated to this last night)

Hidden Component Vers Screen:

platform 3.000100

gps 1.200000

hdd 3.100200

Look good???

BTW - Thanks for the .pdf instructions bridge4d :cool:

Looks great to me.

Any chance that you're going to be the hero that shares? ;-);-)

I got the z3 drive as well, not sure if its a mock up or not. I already made a .tib of it, I will go verify it against the info that everyone is posting here.

If its a real image, I got no problem getting to it hyperite for distro.

Let me go replace my drive with this one and give it a test.