AVIC411.com

GEX-P7000TV tuner

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it won't work, unless you set it up as a stand alone unit, meaning you would need the remote eye and controller for the GEX-P7000tv and pull it in through the AVIC's AV input. You won't be able to control the tuner through the AVIC, only through the remote for the tv tuner.
I agree - they are a little stiff in price, but the GEX -P7000TV didn't come with the antennas, like the current GEX-P5700TV does. When that -P7000 was new, the antennas were $100.00 for the set. One of the better TV tuners around though - I knew a guy with a F-250 ext cab that just had the antennas laying on the floor behind the back seat & was picking up viewable TV stations from 60+ miles away... Remember , the Pioneer is a 4 antenna diversity tuner - looks for the best signal thru 4 inputs - a lot harder to do than just having a single antenna input.
I got the GEX-P7000TV today. Obviously it won't work because it doesn't have an AV-BUS connector. Instead, it has an RGB connector. I guess it's what they used before AV-BUS.

Anyhow, just for the heck of it, I hooked it up to my D1 and the D1 [i]can[/i] fully control it! It'll do channel scans and even finds a few local channels without any antenna hooked up. So it looks like the [i]only[/i] reason it won't work is lack of AV-BUS. If it were possible to translate RGB to AV-BUS, it would work! I'm guessing there's nothing but audio and video on that bus, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's analog. If that's the case, translating the signal should be possible.

Anyone have pinouts for the AV-BUS?
I found pinouts for the 7000TV via Google but nothing on AV-BUS.
hmm i dont really understand what you're saying.

You just said you can fully control it with your d1.
Then you say it doesnt work because of the av-bus

how did you connect it to the d1? through the rca inputs?

Also, i would like to know how many channels can you get, and how clear are they in the screen?

i used to have a dvd with build-in tv tuner with 1 antenna, and the channels were not watchable. Lots of snow and the screen was moving.

what do you think of those tv tuner at:
[url=http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/accessories/index.html#TV]http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you ... ex.html#TV[/url]

btw that's where i bought my dvd with build in tuner.
They have a seperate tv tuner with 4 diversity antenna, Do you think it is worth trying it?
Yes, AV-BUS is the problem.

The D1/D2 controls the tuner through IP-BUS. That's how the D1/D2 can change channels, store/retrieve presets, etc. on the tuner. However, it receives video and sound via AV-BUS.

On the newer TV tuners (GEX-P6400TV or GEX-P5700TV), there is both IP-BUS and AV-BUS. The GEX-P7000TV is too old, it only has IP-BUS and RGB output with a proprietary connector. The IP-BUS part works great, the D1/D2 can control it, change channels, change bands, store/retrieve presets. However, without hooking up the AV-BUS, there is no video and no sound. I think the 7000 only has RGB video outputs. There are other RCA-type video plugs, but I think they are only inputs.

If I could convert the RGB to AV-BUS, then it would work. Only thing is I can't find AV-BUS pinouts to know if this is even possible. So right now, without AV-BUS hooked up, I get no picture and no sound.

Anyway, I couldn't tell you how clear the channels come in until I can build or wire up something to convert RGB to AV-BUS. Maybe Pioneer already has a cable for this, but I can't find it.

The price on those tuners you linked to looks good, but I personally really wanted something the HU could control and $200+ for a GEX-P5700TV wasn't worth it.
ahh i got confused with av-bus and ip-bus

what's av-bus?? you mean the rca cable(yellow, red, white)?

i'm sure there is a way to convert the rgb signal.
gotta google search, or do some trial

that's what i did with my s-video to rca cable. I just tried any combination of wire randomly until something shows up in the screen.
AV-Bus is Pioneer's current audio/video bus. It resembles an IP-Bus connector but I think it only has audio/video on it.

Yeah, I thought about trying to figure out the AV-Bus through trial & error, but there's quite a few wires in that connector. Hopefully someone has the pinouts for it. I searched Google but came up with nothing. If it's an analog bus, then I'm sure it can be made to work.
I don't think the D1/D2 can use the RCA inputs when the function is set to TV. I think it HAS to use the AV-Bus, but I'll check setup options and find out for sure.

I don't think the 7000 has RCA outputs. It's possible to convert RGB to RCA (composite) I think, but I'll only explore that possibility if I find a way to get the D1 to use RCA's instead of AV-Bus for the TV tuner.
i just checked pioneer website
[url=http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4023_36266_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent]http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/p ... lComponent[/url]

yes you have rca output, and it should even come with remote.

so i'm sure you can use the rca input, and worst case, you use the remote to change channel instead of the d1 menu
Oh yeah, I forgot about the rear video outputs which are RCA's.

I didn't get the remote with mine since I bought it used from eBay. It think a special IR sensor is required to use the remote. I don't know if it originally came with it, but mine doesn't have the IR sensor either.

I'm going to try to get it to work with IP-Bus control though. Without it pretty much defeats the purpose of buying a Pioneer TV tuner.
I went into setup and you CANNOT use RCA inputs for the TV. :( You can use the 7000 as a generic video device through the RCA's, but then the D1 can't control it.

D1/D2 only allows M-DVD and VIDEO to use the RCA's. IP-Bus controlled TV tuner MUST use AV-Bus. So I guess you might as well get a noname brand tuner, but I'm very determined to get the GEX-P7000TV to work! Just gotta find some kind person to look up AV-Bus pinouts in any recent Pioneer HU service manual.