AVIC411.com

GEX-P7000TV tuner

Woohoo! I got it working! My GEX-P7000TV works great with the AVIC-D1 (and D2, because my D1 has been upgraded to a D2).

I got a service manual for the D1/D2 and got pinouts for the AV-Bus. Turns out the AV-Bus is just a composite video input with a handful of other inputs. It seems Pioneer has gotten kind of cheap since the RGB input from the older models would have been higher video quality, but anyway...

On the AV-Bus, we need to use 3-pins.
Pin 1 = Video Ground
Pin 2 = Composite Input
Pin 12 = AV ON INPUT

Pin 12 needs to go to +12V. The 12V input tells the AVIC to turn on the AV-Bus input.

On the GEX-P7000TV, I discovered via trial & error (no manual) that the video output is on the yellow RCA labeled "OSD". Connect the OSD center pin to AV-Bus Pin 2, and its shield ground to AV-Bus Pin 1. It is also necessary to ground DSEN (pin 12) in the green RGB connector of the 7000TV. This is most easily done by connecting pin 12 to pin 20 in the green connector. It was only after grounding DSEN that I finally got picture and sound on the AVIC! The audio is in the IP-Bus so no worries there. Everything works great, and my 7000TV was less than 1/4th the price of the 5700TV. :)

I still need to buy some antennas and find a place to mount this huge tuner (that is one benefit of the newer tuners is that they're much smaller). I also need to get an AV-Bus cable to cut up. After that, I'll be sure to get pics and make a detailed write up.
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you can get the +12V there. It's possible that might even be a better place to get the +12V, hard to say really. I didn't check to see if it's hot all the time, hot only if the tuner is on, or hot the whole time the D1 is on. I didn't notice any negative side-effects from using the switched ACC wire to get the +12V though. One big reason NOT to get the +12V from the green connector: it would require hacking up a really expensive, discontinued, virtually impossible to find, 20-pin RGB cable!
[quote]One big reason NOT to get the +12V from the green connector: it would require hacking up a really expensive, discontinued, virtually impossible to find, 20-pin RGB cable![/quote]

Thats true, but what I was thinking about doing was getting a connector that would fit in there and just hooking up wires to the necessary pins. The only thing would be finding a connector that fits in there :?
I think you would have a hard time to find a connector that fits in there. The actual connector you'd need is a Mitsumi IAM-C26, but I haven't found any source for those. I rigged something up using a couple of edge-card connectors that I cut off a circuit board using a Dremel.

I did verify today that the +12V output on the green connector is only hot when the source is TV. That means it's probably the proper wire to use for turning on the AV-BUS. I don't know what the possible side-effects could be by leaving the AV-BUS turned on in other source modes though. I didn't notice any side-effects in my experimenting, but I'll probably use the green connectors +12V output just in case.
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name="GnatGoSplat"]I think you would have a hard time to find a connector that fits in there. The actual connector you'd need is a Mitsumi IAM-C26, but I haven't found any source for those. [/quote]

Try calling them up for the IAM-C26!

[url=http://www.mitsumi.com/indexusa.html]http://www.mitsumi.com/indexusa.html[/url]

Item Number is: C26-020-2420-A

Good Luck :)
  • 2 months later...
I have the p7000 tv tuner from my last system and I was just going to put it on ebay to help buy a 5700 tv tuner. Fortunately, after reading this topic I think i want to try to modify it and same some money in the process.

I hooked it up to my N2 and the system recognizes it because I'm able to change the channels with the headunit. The problem is that I can't get the audio or video to work.

My question is what are the steps to modify this tuner? I have all the cables that came with this unit and a few extra one laying around.

Thanks in advance[/quote]
I think everything you need to know is on the top of page 2 of this thread.

The reason for the no sound is you need to ground pin 12 in the RGB connector.

Pin 12 in the AV-Bus connector needs to be set to +12V to enable the AV-Bus input. The OSD cable from the 7000 needs to connect to pin 1 (GND) and pin 2 (composite input).

I never got around to taking pics of mine because 3 months later I'm still fighting the company I bought my antennas from. :evil: :cry:
  • 2 months later...
If you don't already have a tuner, I wouldn't get it.

February 17, 2009, all analog over the air broadcasts will be terminated. This isn't that far away.

I've saved my money, and I'm glad. Sirius is coming out with a TV tuner 1Q 2007 (which means soon).

[url=http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/ces-siriusconnect-scv1-audio/video-tuner-sirius-backseat-tv.html]http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/ces-s ... at-tv.html[/url]

Back on topic, I wonder when Pioneer will release a digital or high definition model, that will be required to receive broadcasts after February 17, 2009.
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
HEY GUYS I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM. I HAVE AN AVIC-D2 AND I PURCHASED A GEX-P7000TV THINKING THAT IT WOULD JUST CONNECT TO MY D2. I WAS ABOUT TO RESELL THE TUNER UNTIL SOMEONE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS FORUM. SO AFTER LOOKING I PURCHASED A AV-BUS CABLE AND BEFORE I CUT THE CABLE I WAS WONDERING IF SOMEONE COULD TELL ME IF THE WIRES INSIDE OF THE CABLE ARE COLORED SO I WILL KNOW WHICH ONE TO CONNECT TO THE RCA PLUG THAT IM GOING TO ATTACH TO THE END OF THEM, AND WHICH ONE I SHOULD SEND TO 12v, ALSO IN NEED TO KNOW WHICH PINS ARE 12 AND 20 IN THE GREEN CONNECTOR ON THE GEX-P7000TV SINCE THEY SHOULD BE ATTACHED TOGETHER. I SEE THE ONE POSTING SHOWING THE PIN COUNT FOR THE AV-BUS, BUT Gnatgosplat SAID THAT YOU HAVE TO CUT THE CABLE SO I WAS WONDERING IF THE WIRES INSIDE WERE COLOR CODED. DO ANYONE HAVE ANY PICS SHOWING THE PIN COUNT FOR THE GREEN CONNECTOR FOR THE GEX-P7000TV THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE