AVIC411.com

Problem with FM reception

I just had a Z2 installed and everything works fine except now I can barely get any local radio stations. The stock radio in the 4 Runner picked up many many stations. Now I can get 2 fairly clear, and the rest only at certain places and even then its all static and fading. I read through some posts/did a search and all I found to check was the antenna. I took it to the installer and they "checked", the antennae is hooked up. They are telling me that it is normal and that not all radios are the same, and that the stock radio is more powerful for radio stations. i am sensing some serious BS but this is not an area I know much about. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hook up the right wire to your antenna and you should get good reception

Wires are all hooked up correctly. I still have an "ok" reception. Do you think its the actual stock antenna wire that is connected to the unit that is giving me problems? If so what can I do to fix it? If not what can you suggest I do to get a better signal?

This is probably a dumb solution.

See if you can get your hands on the antenna amplifier. Originally I had the same problem, but installers blamed my tinted windows on that. They said that my antenna is built in to my rear window and since it was tinted, reception decreased. However, since they are super cool guys, they gave me a free amplifier and installed it. I had no problems with reception ever since!

Give that a shot.

dimaj

If all of you are certain that your power wires are attached then try another antenna.Go buy any regular(non powered)antenna.Just plug it into the unit and lay the antenna on the windshield or upright as possible and see if your reception improves.If it does then take it back and get the right one and install.If it doesn't improve then you know its the unit because you took the antenna power wire out the equation.Then return the antenna.

P.S.Make sure you can return the antenna before you buy.

Don't know if this is reletive to your situation, But...... I had to buy an antenna adapter for my now Z3. I have a 08 Dodge Quad Cab, the antenna wire would fit into the connection, but not the correct way. After getting the adapter, FM has worked great......Might be something to check out.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same problem until about two days ago when my battery died (thank god for that, read more about that below).

I guess my battery's been going out for awhile (it was mfd in 1999 :shock:) and silly me, I just never really bothered with it except to clean off the corrosion every six months.

So anyways, my battery died and so I got a new one, along with some new terminals. I put it all together yesterday and went out for a drive last night to get some ice cream (not really important, but a good story is in the details). While driving, of course my radio presets had been wiped so I was scanning the freq to reset them. Lo and behold, I'm now picking up radio stations all the way out in Los Angeles clear as a bell, and I'm in San Diego. The only thing I can attribute this to, is the new battery. So moral of the story:

CHECK THE BATTERY!!!