AVIC411.com

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Anonymous"]Hi Guys

Any news on this topic? woudl ove to be able to dump mp3's directlly onto HD :)[/quote]

The way it is stock, no you can't dump MP3's to the hard drive (while it is installed in the car). There is a theory that we can remove the hard drives out of the head units, hook them up to a PC and transfer directly. But so far no one (including myself) has had the guts to yank the drive out of their unit and try it.
If someone booted into Knoppix (Downloadable Live Linux CD).
There would be no chance at harming the HDD, especially if the drive was mounted as read only.

Knoppix would also read the Z1's EXT2/3 format.
Assuming of course that that HDD is EXT2/3.
We know its not FAT or NTFS. So, linux's EXT is the only (major) one left.
[quote name="JasonH"]
Knoppix would also read the Z1's EXT2/3 format.
Assuming of course that that HDD is EXT2/3.
We know its not FAT or NTFS. So, linux's EXT is the only (major) one left.[/quote]

How do we know this? I read a review that the Z1 was using windows for mobiles 5. It might not be true, but it's what I read somewhere, and seeing how long it takes to boot up, I would believe it's a windows product.

I'm more worried about how to get it out, hit the eject button, open the front door, then do what? Just yank it? If you power off, I think it retracts. So you would have to compleately remove power. What would happen on boot up? I just don't have the guts to be the first one to try it.
Guest JasonH-Mobile
I have heard from a guy that the Z1 is linux based and did not know how to read the format. His windows computer could not read the drive, meaning the drive is not windows formatted. I suggested Knoppix but never heard back.

Not sure how to get the drive out.
[quote name="JasonH-Mobile"]I have heard from a guy that the Z1 is linux based and did not know how to read the format. His windows computer could not read the drive, meaning the drive is not windows formatted. I suggested Knoppix but never heard back.

Not sure how to get the drive out.[/quote]

Actually I just tested it and if you open the front and turn off the car, the door stays open and the power does seem to shut off. It's obviously not compleately off, but it might be safe to pull it out.
I pulled out the drive the other day to inspect what I would need to hook it to the PC. I went and picked up a 2.5" HDD to USB adapter. I will try it tonight and post my success or failure. My reasons are the same as most. Direct load of MP3 and backup the system.

All I did was lower the screen like I was going to insert a disc, turn off the power (and open the drivers door since I have a GM product that keeps the unit powered until then), remove the 2 screws (drop the cover on the touch screen and yell F**K :shock: ), and finally pull out the HDD using the plastic strap. Easy. I put it back in the opposite way (No F**K :D ) this time and it worked fine.
[quote name="Anonymous"]I pulled out the drive the other day to inspect what I would need to hook it to the PC. I went and picked up a 2.5" HDD to USB adapter. I will try it tonight and post my success or failure. [/quote]

That might work, but I think it would be better to use one of these adapters

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812203012]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812203012[/url]

And connect the laptop drive directly to the ATA cable in the PC. I'm not sure. Let us know if the USB thing works.
Ok pulled the drive back out as promised (I'm the guy that said F**K). Connected it to a 2.5 to USB converter and tried both Windows XP and Knoppix 4.0.2 (I'm posting using Knoppix now and forgot how cool this OS is - truely rocks). Neither operating system could identify it. Both found and recognized the hardware but had no clue what OS was on them. Good old Windows wouldn't do much with it, at least knoppix tried to mount it.

To let others know this is a safe procedure I put the drive back in the AVIC already and it booted up like it never happened.

I'm game to try some tools and plan to dig up a 2.5 to ide converter (I used to have one and this was my first idea at the store but all they had were the USB stuff and if anybody knows what Fry's electronics is you know how clueless most of their people are with stuff like this) so I can try Ghost and see if I can pull an image or something. I'd like to get an image onto another 30gb mini drive and see if the AVIC likes it. Then I'd have no problem getting more midevil on the drive format....

I don't want to try a sector editor yet and other than viewing the first sector or two wouldn't know what I was looking for anyway. I've only used those to perform specific repairs when fixing DVR's.
[quote name="Anonymous"]Ok pulled the drive back out as promised (I'm the guy that said F**K). Connected it to a 2.5 to USB converter and tried both Windows XP and Knoppix 4.0.2 (I'm posting using Knoppix now and forgot how cool this OS is - truely rocks). Neither operating system could identify it. Both found and recognized the hardware but had no clue what OS was on them. Good old Windows wouldn't do much with it, at least knoppix tried to mount it.

To let others know this is a safe procedure I put the drive back in the AVIC already and it booted up like it never happened.

I'm game to try some tools and plan to dig up a 2.5 to ide converter (I used to have one and this was my first idea at the store but all they had were the USB stuff and if anybody knows what Fry's electronics is you know how clueless most of their people are with stuff like this) so I can try Ghost and see if I can pull an image or something. I'd like to get an image onto another 30gb mini drive and see if the AVIC likes it. Then I'd have no problem getting more midevil on the drive format....

I don't want to try a sector editor yet and other than viewing the first sector or two wouldn't know what I was looking for anyway. I've only used those to perform specific repairs when fixing DVR's.[/quote]

This was me above, just registered as I think from what I'm already starting to do with this I might be here to often. heh.

Here is a pic of my install: [img]http://download.msleet.com/corvettepics/Z1installedWmatrix.jpg[/img]
Format update:

Purchased ATA - IDE adapter as suggested and had the same results. Windows doesn't even display the drive in "disk administrator" and Linux trys to mount it and fails as unknown.

I also tried to use Norton Ghost from both Windows and the command line with no success. Same results as Windows. It just didn't see the drive as being installed at all. The drive shows up in Bios and within Windows in Device Manager.

I'm going to dig up an old laptop HDD and see what happens if I plug it in to the Z1.
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]

I'm going to dig up an old laptop HDD and see what happens if I plug it in to the Z1.[/quote]

The drive is standard, the format isn't. (I'm a network engineer).. .If you put a standard format drive in there, the OS of the headunit wont be able to read it and simply give you an error at start. We need to figure out the actual format and for that somone is going to have to read the drive sector by sector...(I'd do it but I just don't have the time with my job)