AVIC411.com

[quote name="rlith"] [quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]

I'm going to dig up an old laptop HDD and see what happens if I plug it in to the Z1.[/quote]

The drive is standard, the format isn't. (I'm a network engineer).. .If you put a standard format drive in there, the OS of the headunit wont be able to read it and simply give you an error at start. We need to figure out the actual format and for that somone is going to have to read the drive sector by sector...(I'd do it but I just don't have the time with my job)[/quote]

I was thinking perhaps the z1 was standard enough where it might try to load an alternate operating system. Somebody posted that some info displayed on theirs during boot up that sounded like linux code. If true then the processor is likely to be x86 compatible. It's possible the drive is just protected in a way that is just preventing it from being mounted by an alternate operating system.
Others have speculated the OS as being Win CE. If that was true I was thinking of cloning a CE image from a thin client to a 2.5 HDD. The problem with that is which processor is the Z1 based on?

Dskprobe crashed while trying to read sector 0 or 1.
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, One last thought...

I didnt see that you already tried dskprobe....

That beign the case, sounds like teh drive is "password protected". What I mean by this is most laptops have options to put a password on your hard disk (not to be confused with a BIOS password).

When you boot up with a drive liek this, it would prompt you for a password. And if you dont put the correct password, the drive wont even show up in any tool.

For example, In my IBM thinkpad, I have 2 drives. the main which I boot from, and a 2nd drive in a secondary bay adapter. I keep all my data on this 2nd drive. When I boot with this drive in, it will promt me for a password right after the bios boot screen. if an incorect password is put in, the drive wotn even show up in an tool. Almost as if drive doesnt exist.

If i put in the correct password, drive functions as normal.

If I were to pop this drive in while windows were already boot up, the drive wouldnt recognize either. In order to use it, the drive MUST be present durign boot up.

I wonder if when teh Z1 boots up, its doing the same process...
[quote name="rlith"] [quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]

I'm going to dig up an old laptop HDD and see what happens if I plug it in to the Z1.[/quote]

The drive is standard, the format isn't. (I'm a network engineer).. .If you put a standard format drive in there, the OS of the headunit wont be able to read it and simply give you an error at start. We need to figure out the actual format and for that somone is going to have to read the drive sector by sector...(I'd do it but I just don't have the time with my job)[/quote]

It just dawned on me that we were looking at this from 2 different angles. I was thinking the OS was loading from the HDD and you are assuming the OS is embedded and the HDD used for data. Correct?

I went ahead and stuck in a working HDD and the Z1 was able to turn on and play radio but only the open/close, volume and seek buttons worked. I did get the "starting pioneer nav" or whatever it says but never the splash screen that follows. Just eventually a "cannot use hard drive" in 3 different languages.

I will make a wild unsubstaniated guess and talk out of my ass for a second. Perhaps Pioneer is using the format from the Blu-ray DVD system they are about to release. This would be simple to port and currently a secure format. If not it could be something similar. Why keep inventing the wheel.....?
[quote name="docluv01"]Hmm, One last thought...

I didnt see that you already tried dskprobe....

That beign the case, sounds like teh drive is "password protected". What I mean by this is most laptops have options to put a password on your hard disk (not to be confused with a BIOS password).

When you boot up with a drive liek this, it would prompt you for a password. And if you dont put the correct password, the drive wont even show up in any tool.

For example, In my IBM thinkpad, I have 2 drives. the main which I boot from, and a 2nd drive in a secondary bay adapter. I keep all my data on this 2nd drive. When I boot with this drive in, it will promt me for a password right after the bios boot screen. if an incorect password is put in, the drive wotn even show up in an tool. Almost as if drive doesnt exist.

If i put in the correct password, drive functions as normal.

If I were to pop this drive in while windows were already boot up, the drive wouldnt recognize either. In order to use it, the drive MUST be present durign boot up.

I wonder if when teh Z1 boots up, its doing the same process...[/quote]

Possibly a good guess:
After putting the drive from my laptop into the Z1 and then replacing it in the laptop now get something I've never seen on this laptop on boot up:

Drivelock HDD Bay Password and a picture of a key. I get 2 guesses and then it reports: invalid password drive is locked.

Since I've never enabled drivelock I can only assume the Z1 activated the lock for me. :?

The only thing I didn't try was putting the Z1 drive in the laptop and I don't think I want to for some reason.

I'll see if this "locked" drive now acts the same way the Z1 drive did previously.
Found it: [url=http://www.rockbox.org/lock.html]http://www.rockbox.org/lock.html[/url]

EDIT: Err, I don't think thats it, nevermind. I'll keep looking, I know it's out there. Might want to try this: [url=http://www.hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/]http://www.hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/[/url]
[quote name="JasonH"]Found it: [url=http://www.rockbox.org/lock.html]http://www.rockbox.org/lock.html[/url]

EDIT: Err, I don't think thats it, nevermind. I'll keep looking, I know it's out there. Might want to try this: [url=http://www.hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/]http://www.hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/[/url][/quote]

Thanks Jason,

I found the same hdd-tools and think this might do it since they say the drive in the Z1 is supported. However the drive from my laptop is not on their supported list so I cannot test this theory and without testing I'm not sure I want to let the Z1 drive get attacked yet... :shock:

I speculate my laptop drive was issued the unlock command by the Z1 and then the lock command when I shut it down to remove it. I have a couple of guesses on how to get into this.

for the following the "test" drive is the one from my laptop that was locked by the Z1.

Connect the "test" drive to an ide channel on a nearby PC
Boot up the PC so it sees the drives bios config.
leave the PC running and unplug the drive
Run an extention cable out of the Z1 HDD bay
Use an external power source to power up the HDD.
Plug in the "test" drive to the extention cable coming out of the Z1
Power up the Z1, bypass the safety switch
leave the Z1 on and unplug the drive from data only
reconnect the drive to the PC
The drive will hopefully be unlocked
Hopefully I can now retrieve or change the password - Still working on this part.
Opinion???

If none of this works I've also read about somebody "sniffing" the ide cable of drive locked drives and getting the password when they are unlocked. This may be beyond my abilities. I sniff networks, not hardware... :D
[quote name="JasonH"]Ahhh,

I never thought of that, it's the same thing the original Xbox had to keep people from doing what we are doing to the Z1. I know there is a site that shows how to bypass it. I'm looking for it now.[/quote]

A few people are suggesting plugging it into a modded Xbox and unlocking it with xbox tools.
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]
A few people are suggesting plugging it into a modded Xbox and unlocking it with xbox tools.[/quote]

This only works if the drive was originally locked with that Xbox..

Oh, and uh.. Howdy... First post... I don't have a Z-1 yet, but am very interested in getting one. I've hacked my share of xbox's and am currently leading an open source project mapping the Chrysler CAN Bus.. ( [url=http://www.canhack.org]http://www.canhack.org[/url] ).

Anyway..

The procedure posted above by Pulp_Fiction should get you into the drive.. but may not be able to 'unlock' it permanently. Once I get one of these units, I'll try to pop the thing and see if I can help out..

LK
[quote name="linuxkidd"] [quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]
A few people are suggesting plugging it into a modded Xbox and unlocking it with xbox tools.[/quote]

This only works if the drive was originally locked with that Xbox..

Oh, and uh.. Howdy... First post... I don't have a Z-1 yet, but am very interested in getting one. I've hacked my share of xbox's and am currently leading an open source project mapping the Chrysler CAN Bus.. ( [url=http://www.canhack.org]http://www.canhack.org[/url] ).

Anyway..

The procedure posted above by Pulp_Fiction should get you into the drive.. but may not be able to 'unlock' it permanently. Once I get one of these units, I'll try to pop the thing and see if I can help out..

LK[/quote]

Welcome, I'm new here too.

I confirmed the drive is ATA locked tonight by using a 2.5 to std ide adapter and running atapwd. This confirmed the locked status. I tried the blank and all spaces passwords using this utility with no luck. I have one more utility to try but don't expect much more success with it. From a lot of reading this is a very secure locking solution.
If somebody in the West Los Angeles area wants to take a chance and swap HDD's i'd be interested in knowing if Pioneer locked the drive with a generic pwd or if it's specific to each unit like the Xbox is.
Should we get these unlocked the file system may be very standard after all....

Does anybody know of a utility or procedure I can use once the drive is unlocked to see what the password is? If my procedure above (which will be a pain to setup without uninstalling the unit) is successfull then getting the pwd out is very important. The utilities I've found want the password so you can change the password and none of them so far have the ability to view the current password.
Welcome, I'm new here too.

I confirmed the drive is ATA locked tonight by using a 2.5 to std ide adapter and running atapwd. This confirmed the locked status. I tried the blank and all spaces passwords using this utility with no luck. I have one more utility to try but don't expect much more success with it. From a lot of reading this is a very secure locking solution.
If somebody in the West Los Angeles area wants to take a chance and swap HDD's i'd be interested in knowing if Pioneer locked the drive with a generic pwd or if it's specific to each unit like the Xbox is.
Should we get these unlocked the file system may be very standard after all....

Does anybody know of a utility or procedure I can use once the drive is unlocked to see what the password is? If my procedure above (which will be a pain to setup without uninstalling the unit) is successfull then getting the pwd out is very important. The utilities I've found want the password so you can change the password and none of them so far have the ability to view the current password.[/quote]

This was me, forgot to log in.