AVIC411.com

ya this is bullshit. all i wanna do is load my mp3s onto the harddrive. there has got to be some way.

what a stupid ass way to go about loading the harddrive pioneer chose. copys the music at 4x speed. F that.

should just have a simple usb interface and just transfer them that way with a laptop or better yet wirelessly.
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure everyone on this board concurs...

Also, have u noticed that the soudn quality of the "recorded" songs sound liek crap. the manual claims its 128k, but stil sounds like sh**. you lose all crispness. if i play a audio cd, or even an mp3 cd for that matter, sounds a LOT better.
[quote name="docluv01"]Im sure everyone on this board concurs...

Also, have u noticed that the soudn quality of the "recorded" songs sound liek crap. the manual claims its 128k, but stil sounds like sh**. you lose all crispness. if i play a audio cd, or even an mp3 cd for that matter, sounds a LOT better.[/quote]

I haven't used it much so I can't comment on sound clarity but there are two very lacking features that surprised me:

1. The inability to copy MP3s to the hard drive off of data CD's and DVD's
2. The inability to play MP3's of DVD-R/+R's (I use the Roxio workaround)
with roxio you gotta rip them in wav format essentially though right? like an audio dvd?

lemme ask this... if you throw in an audio dvd, does it still utlilize the same way to search thru songs with folders and all the same as it would with songs on the actual hdd.
[quote name="gerard143"]with roxio you gotta rip them in wav format essentially though right? like an audio dvd?

lemme ask this... if you throw in an audio dvd, does it still utlilize the same way to search thru songs with folders and all the same as it would with songs on the actual hdd.[/quote]

Not quit it converts it to a dvd-video disc.
[quote name="palacios"]I tried to go the Roxio audio-DVD route and I found the menus very annoying. The album art looked like crap and the text was very tiny and hard to read. Is there a way to change the text size and menu quality?[/quote]

I believe you can change the font. I can't remember which theme I used but I found the font to be very legible. Try some of the other themes.
  • 4 weeks later...
Hey guys, back to the original issue. I know people have tried cloning the hard drive using software, but has anyone tried cloning using hardware? I work in IT and we happen to have a hard drive duplicator for use when we want to make a quick dupe of a hard drive.

Something like this:

[url=http://www.digital-loggers.com/128u.html]http://www.digital-loggers.com/128u.html[/url]

Would this not just dupe the entire thing? Hard drive lock and all?

I'm looking to make a couple backup's of the z1 drive so that I don't have to go through hell if the hard drive craps out on me. Just swap...
[quote name="emerald_phoenix"]Hey guys, back to the original issue. I know people have tried cloning the hard drive using software, but has anyone tried cloning using hardware? I work in IT and we happen to have a hard drive duplicator for use when we want to make a quick dupe of a hard drive.

Something like this:

[url=http://www.digital-loggers.com/128u.html]http://www.digital-loggers.com/128u.html[/url]

Would this not just dupe the entire thing? Hard drive lock and all?

I'm looking to make a couple backup's of the z1 drive so that I don't have to go through hell if the hard drive craps out on me. Just swap...[/quote]

It shouldn't work but please give it a try if you have one. The ATA lock is supposed to intercept and stop all data access to the drive platters regardless of hardware or software used.
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name="z1fan"]has anybody tried inserting a blank and newly formatted hdd? The slash memory may be able to write new partitions[/quote]

Doubtfull if this will work. I bet the Z1 looks for specific data/partitions to be present on the HD before it asumes it is a valid drive. Also, "formatting" is not a good idea as we do not know exactly what the format is. If anyone wants to do a test they can low-level format (zero out) a drive and try it but again, I seriousely doubt this will work.

We need to unlock the drive, copy the data/partitions to an image file (Ghost, Aronis,etc) and then dump the data onto a larger HD. If the partitions, filesystem and OS are windows compatible it should also be possible to strech the 10GB partition to about 80-90GB on a 100-120GB drive while still leaving the 20GB for the map data intact. Inserting an unlocked drive (that allows locking) but was properly formatted and partitioned with the original map data MIGHT just work...
[quote name="SemoTech"] [quote name="z1fan"]has anybody tried inserting a blank and newly formatted hdd? The slash memory may be able to write new partitions[/quote]

Doubtfull if this will work. I bet the Z1 looks for specific data/partitions to be present on the HD before it asumes it is a valid drive. Also, "formatting" is not a good idea as we do not know exactly what the format is. If anyone wants to do a test they can low-level format (zero out) a drive and try it but again, I seriousely doubt this will work.

We need to unlock the drive, copy the data/partitions to an image file (Ghost, Aronis,etc) and then dump the data onto a larger HD. If the partitions, filesystem and OS are windows compatible it should also be possible to strech the 10GB partition to about 80-90GB on a 100-120GB drive while still leaving the 20GB for the map data intact. Inserting an unlocked drive (that allows locking) but was properly formatted and partitioned with the original map data MIGHT just work...[/quote]

Semo,

All of this has already been done. The problem we are experiencing is my Z1 so far has been the only one to accept the larger drive for more than 15 min.

Read the sticky on at the top of the this section on HDD for more info.
My bad, reading in order of activity and did not get the FAQ you made till after replying to this.

Questions:

1. Have you tried to enlarge the MSV FAT32 Partition beyond the 32GB limit? Did it work?

2. Is it possible that the reason Ducatiboy's HD is crashing is due to the way locking and unlocking is handled? I've seen a lot of drives that do not support locking features causing some grief. While I see that you recomend disabling the security features, maybe it is worth a shot not to and let the Z1 happily lock and unlock the drive...

3. How large is the compressed image (Ghost or Acronis) of the original drive you made?

Thanks.
I'm thinking the problem is more along the lines of the cluster size and root-directory size used when restoring the partition images.

Pulp_Fiction may have gotten lucky with a conservative FAT32 formatting scheme; while the others (unknowingly) had their partitioning software use larger clusters to accomodate the larger partition sizes requested.

I should have the rest of my gear ready in another week or two, and hopefully I'll be able to reproduce Pulp_Fiction's results soon. If things go as well as I hope, I'll have my unit's ATA Passwords sniffed out so I can just focus on programming new apps for these things. :-)