AVIC411.com

[quote name="Cosmic Gecko"]I'm thinking the problem is more along the lines of the cluster size and root-directory size used when restoring the partition images.

Pulp_Fiction may have gotten lucky with a conservative FAT32 formatting scheme; while the others (unknowingly) had their partitioning software use larger clusters to accomodate the larger partition sizes requested.[/quote]

Well, Pulp send me his drive which he had got working in his Z1. Pulled it right out of his, and I put it in mine and no luck. Froze up. So my next test is to use his partitions that he created and load my files from my original drive. Maybe it has something to do with custom files on the hard drive with each unit as well. Maybe Pulp's Z1 is really special.
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="03Aviator"]That is not good news.....[/quote]

No, it's not. The next thing is that it could be 2 things.

1. My original test was using a Hitachi Hard drive, and that was an image of my drive. Lockups.

2. Using my Hitachi Hard drive and loading on pulp's image. Lockups.

3. Using pulp's Fujitsu drive and his drive image. Lockups.

There is one more thing. This I have yet to try.

4. Use pulp's hard drive but load my image on it. Will that work?

I don't hold much faith on it. It's possible that the hard drive image is "customized" for each unit. It could also be a little choosy with the make and model of hard drive used. Maybe it didn't like my hitachi travelstar, maybe it didn't like pulp's image files.

If this #4 doesn't work, I might be out of ideas.
[quote name="SemoTech"]My bad, reading in order of activity and did not get the FAQ you made till after replying to this.

Questions:

1. Have you tried to enlarge the MSV FAT32 Partition beyond the 32GB limit? Did it work?

2. Is it possible that the reason Ducatiboy's HD is crashing is due to the way locking and unlocking is handled? I've seen a lot of drives that do not support locking features causing some grief. While I see that you recomend disabling the security features, maybe it is worth a shot not to and let the Z1 happily lock and unlock the drive...

3. How large is the compressed image (Ghost or Acronis) of the original drive you made?

Thanks.[/quote]

1. yes the larger than 32GB partion works but only for me so far since the others crash.
2. Ducati has the actual drive I was using and is still getting the crashing. Perhaps his Z1 is looking for the ability to lock the drive and getting angry. I'm not ready to lock another drive yet so I'm not going to try this one.
3. About 8.5 gig. Used Ghost.
[quote name="ducatiboy"]Well, Pulp send me his drive which he had got working in his Z1. Pulled it right out of his, and I put it in mine and no luck. Froze up. So my next test is to use his partitions that he created and load my files from my original drive. Maybe it has something to do with custom files on the hard drive with each unit as well. Maybe Pulp's Z1 is really special.[/quote]

Bummer that Pulp didn't send you his drive with a virgin image, but then again, nothing beats actually testing the unit before delivery. :-) I agree with your assessment -- it sounds like custom files or signature files exist after a Z1 boots up with the drive.

Is your own drive image from a virgin, new-in-box hard drive, or did you take the image after the Z1 signed the disc and changed the ATA passwords? (Sorry, I've got several months' worth of posts to catch up on here..)
[quote name="Cosmic Gecko"]Bummer that Pulp didn't send you his drive with a virgin image, but then again, nothing beats actually testing the unit before delivery. :-) I agree with your assessment -- it sounds like custom files or signature files exist after a Z1 boots up with the drive.

Is your own drive image from a virgin, new-in-box hard drive, or did you take the image after the Z1 signed the disc and changed the ATA passwords? (Sorry, I've got several months' worth of posts to catch up on here..)[/quote]

I think most of us have images which are not "virgin". Mine was used for a month before I pulled the drive out and started playing.

I don't know how long Pulp had his drive working before he pulled it and made an image of it, but I'm guessing his wasn't virgin either. His has worked fine. Mine has not. His unit also has lots of hand writing all over the internals with a sharpie or something. I haven't had the guts to rip mine out so I don't know if mine has them or not, but he might have a test or engineering unit or something.

Weird that mine keeps failing and locking up and his never does. I guess I'll load my files on his drive and test it out. Then if that doesn't work, I'll load my files on his drive and send it back to him and he can test my image in his z1. Unfortunately I'll bet my Z1 won't work and his will even with my image. Which means it might be something special with his Z1. Either that or I buy another AUTOMOTIVE laptop drive and image my stock on to that one and try the same exact make and model of drive but an image. And see if that works in mine. My stock drive works great!
'Good to know, thanks! Aside from my powering up the Z1 once to unlock and lower the screen to get access to the HD door, my drive is still untouched. (I dunno how Jake managed to get his HD out of the unit without supplying power.. oh well!)

I'm hoping to sniff out the master password with a logic analyzer so I don't have to molest it further from that password unlocking service.. and if that doesn't work out, I'll just go ahead and have the password clobbered like everyone else. :-)

After that, I should be able to compare the virgin base image against a used image to figure out if any signatures are written.. though that's still a secondary goal -- I'm more interested in identifying the changes to Catalog files so we can figure out how to make the Z1 to "see" any music files dropped into the appropriate directories.

I'm not entirely convinced that AC3 is the only possible format we can store on the drive -- more likely, it's just the default format the Z1 uses to rip cds. MP3s are probably a "forbidden" format to rip to because of licensing and royalty issues.
[quote name="BigFloppy"]I just looked at my new imaged drive (after removing from the Z1)

There's somethin funny going on here...

It seems to be using a TFAT filesystem rather than regular FAT32... The MSV partition was renamed to TFAT

Looking into this now![/quote]

Now that's interesting! I wonder if there was a running change?
hey guys

do you guys think this could be altered to physically copy files to the drive? not that it helps us much right now, as people who got the drives unlocked havent been able to ge their units to play mp3's. but its a start for people who dont unlock their drioves.
Anything's possible with sufficient time and determination. :-)

The Gracenote update image is a good starting point for reference.

Hopefully the update image files aren't cryptographically signed -- in which case, any developer with the right tools and target-hardware profile can write custom apps for the Z1.

That's the point where I'm trying to get to, once the hardware-locking and password issues are out of the way. :-)
[quote name="Cosmic Gecko"]'Good to know, thanks! Aside from my powering up the Z1 once to unlock and lower the screen to get access to the HD door, my drive is still untouched. (I dunno how Jake managed to get his HD out of the unit without supplying power.. oh well!)

[/quote]

IIRC, there is a way to manually lower the door by spinning a wheel from an access hole in the case. I'm sure I read that here somewhere....
[quote name="03Aviator"]IIRC, there is a way to manually lower the door by spinning a wheel from an access hole in the case. I'm sure I read that here somewhere....[/quote]

Yeah, 'saw the half moon slot, and tried turning that gear, but I couldn't get it to move with an amount of force I was comfortable with. I was unable to identify any sort of manual unlock, either. 'Must be well hidden. :-(