AVIC411.com

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that is what I was thinking of doing, getting a preconfigured drive. I really don't have a problem taking the hard drive out, it is all the other stuff. I hate computers and they never seem to do what I want them to do.

HAHA, I know alot of people that feel that way. That is why I offer the preconfigured drive option.

I would have went with garrettromney's drive too. He's been a great asset to our forum.

Problem for me is that I have TONS of music in my HDD that I can't find anymore or replace so I have to use the update DVD in order to keep the music in tact.

:o

Have you checked the classified's section for my upgrade service? The positive aspect of going with the upgrade service is that your drive will be unlocked, so you will NEVER have to lose your music due to any future upgrades. The upgrade is still cheaper than the dvd update, and probably a faster turn around :)

You could also get a new drive and put your music on it, and upgrade your existing hd at the same time. Then you will have a true backup of all your music. What will you do when the stock drive finally crashes, and you lose everything...

Check my ads, and PM or email me if you have any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Proud to report, the update using the DVD went without a hitch.

-Took 3 hours.

The bypass is unaffected.

First thing I did was change the boot screen which is nice.

The Z3 maps are great. Alot more roads and now I have another city within my vicinity that has detailed City View mode! Woot. IMO, the navi guidance has improved over the Z1, Now it seems more accurate.

Also, IMHO, the voice commands seems to be snappier in terms of its response time and the accuracy/precision of the Z3 understanding the voice commands.

Those considering the update should now be able to choose between 2 options and base their decision on what their needs are for the update.

Would you mind going into the test mode and posting the versions of everything?

You can get into test mode by opening the face, then pressing and holding RESET and the disc EJECT button simultaneously and releasing reset but keep holding EJECT until you get a prompt asking for the password, then press PLIST UP twice and PLIST DOWN twice, then T. I think Versions is the first menu option.

I'm wondering if the DVD upgrades the "bootlorder" and recovery portions of the flash to v3. Simply changing the hard drive does not upgrade those parts.

Glad to hear the upgrade dvd's worked great. I'm going to be purchasing them myself to update my z1 maps within the next week. I'm in South Carolina near the state of GA and the maps do not know the area that I'm in all that well. I would imagine by getting the 2008 maps, i should not have any problem.

You mentioned that along with the map updates, you noticed a difference on some of the other functionality on your z1 or z2 unit?

Yes, before with the Z1, when I approached a destination, the navi would say "You have arrived at your destination" about 12 feet before I even arrived to the location.

I think it a combination of the 2008 TeleAtlas maps and what Pioneer apparently says the Z3 has new feature where many destinations are "Geo" Encoded to a specific location, feature called Point addressing I believe.

Rather than a range of address location, now the Z3 says the voice prompts and the maps actually show a precise location rather than a range.

Gnatgosplat, I tried to access the service menu but holding the 2 buttons with the screen down, and releasing one did not prompt the menu. Maybe someone else with a Z3 can give it a shot.

Yes, that is exactly what the Z1 does. It tells me "you have arrived at your destination" but i'm still driving another 12-20 feet to get there .heh .. I guess from what your saying is that the Z3 is much more accurate. Are you able to watch dvd's and set a destination while your vehicle is in motion? i'd like to do the security bypass on my unit once i do the software upgrade

Gnatgosplat, I tried to access the service menu but holding the 2 buttons with the screen down, and releasing one did not prompt the menu. Maybe someone else with a Z3 can give it a shot.

Did you use the EJECT button on the inside? You have to do it with the face open. I think it doesn't matter the order you push those buttons down, so long as you release EJECT last, and I think you have to keep it pressed until that password message shows up.