AVIC411.com

Got accepted for the online discussion

I think you are on the right track. I certainly can see disabling the DVD function while moving, but the phone functions and the nav fucntions are what I bought the unit for. There are laws in most states not alowoing DVD to be viewed from the drivers seat. there are no laws on using navigation and as far as the phone goes, here in New York you need to use the hands free. If I used the Z1 without a bypass, Pioneer would be forcing me to break the law by picing up my cell phone to access the phonebook rather than useing the one on the bypassed Z1..... If the Z1 only bypassed the DVD I would not have bothered getting a bypass unit....but they forced me into it by locking so many other functions.

Greg
[quote name="BearGator56"]Is the Pionner discussion site part of the survey? Or is this something all of us can access? I would love to give them my thoughts on this thing. I love the unit, but it needs work![/quote]

No it was an "invitation only" forum which they asked questions and we answered them and they might ask for more info. It wasn't open to the public. In fact now, the site is closed and even those of us who were invited can't even see what we put in. Don't worry, there was a lot of complaining and I think all the parts that needed work were at least touched on if not screamed at them :)
It's really good to know that Pioneer is getting feedback from the public, I just hope they actually do something with it. Most of the Z1's problems could be fixed by software changes. They could even improve the performance of the iPod interface by using some intelligent caching and a background tranfer of the iPod database.

In addition the video interface used for the TV tuner module should be used to make a new interface for the video iPods. They could charge $200 for the adapter and I'd pay it just to have the ability play videos off of my iPod.
[quote name="Hyperite"]I wish I'd known about this... but hopefully someone brought up all the issues in the "pet peeves" thread I started months ago.[/quote]

Sorry, but it was by invitation only. People who registered their Z1's with pioneer and an email address were emailed directly and asked to participate. Most of us there were from this forum. Trust me. Just about every pet peeve on that list was at least mentioned.

There were some who were "The z1 is great, I love you, please let me touch your greatness" but for the most part it ended up with some people expounding on the Z1's short comings.

[quote name="Cirbirus"]They could even improve the performance of the iPod interface by using some intelligent caching and a background tranfer of the iPod database.[/quote]

That is one of the smartest ideas I have heard about the ipod interface. I'm pissed that I didn't think of that. You are right, it seems like what is on the screen is requested at the time the screen is populated. Then when you press the page down button, it then goes out and requests the next page of titles from the ipod. If it spent the time in the background getting all the titles for where ever you were as soon as it displayed the first 6 or whatever, it would be busy working on the rest.... that's a great idea. I wonder if they are paying attention to these forums. If they are or not, it's a really smart idea.