AVIC411.com

Hey guys,

I just picked up a Z1 and a Z3 off of ebay for mine and my wifes rides (2008 Mustang GT with oem sirius and 2008 1500 Silverado with oem XM). I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times before but I can not find the right way to search for it and get a good answer, so here I am asking.

Can I use the factory Antennas with the GEX-P920XM? If the GEX-P920XM is not the right model to use would the 900 or 910 be a better choice? I'd like to have the mated pioneer unit in both cars for XM service while using the factory oem antennas. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

The chevy shouldn't be a problem, but you may need to remove the outer plastitic housing on the connector. If the stock antenna has two wires, then the only reception you will get is the satelites themselves.

On the Sirius antenna on the Mustang, only satelite signal will work. The ground based repeaters used in cities and tunnels will not work.

The antennas are rather small, I would just use those.

The chevy shouldn't be a problem, but you may need to remove the outer plastitic housing on the connector. If the stock antenna has two wires, then the only reception you will get is the satelites themselves.

On the Sirius antenna on the Mustang, only satelite signal will work. The ground based repeaters used in cities and tunnels will not work.

The antennas are rather small, I would just use those.

Thanks for getting back with me Superjet.

I appreciate the information, but I'm still a bit green to all this stuff with sat equipment. I really don't understand what you said :( lol... I know there can be 2 types of antenna plugs, 1 with 1 single connection and 1 with 2 connections (I think these are older style). Beyond that I have heard some acronyms thrown around like SMB and FARKA etc.. but I am not educated on these things yet. I wanted to learn what all I needed before I dug into it, but I guess it will be the other way around.

From what you are saying with the mustang, is there no way at all to get it to work 100% with the factory antenna? I would think an antenna is an antenna, but I could be totally wrong in this case.

Thanks again.

Your 08 Silverado has a single wire connection for the xm, it is curry yellow. This will work with a pioneer xm module. You need to just plug unplug your factory antenna at the gm module and file off the little nub on the yellow plastic connector and it will work perfect.

Going from Sirius to XM requires an adapter but you can use your factory antenna and wiring for that as well. Go to xm411.com and there are serveral post on how to do it.

Your 08 Silverado has a single wire connection for the xm, it is curry yellow. This will work with a pioneer xm module. You need to just plug unplug your factory antenna at the gm module and file off the little nub on the yellow plastic connector and it will work perfect.

Going from Sirius to XM requires an adapter but you can use your factory antenna and wiring for that as well. Go to xm411.com and there are serveral post on how to do it.

Awesome, thank you very much for this information. I'd buy you a beer or 3 if I could.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

the factory antennas will work in both vehicles. i hooked up that pioneer xm tuner on my 06 f150 and used the sirius antenna. its a single plug and you just remove the plastic connector on the end and just pressure fit it into the antenna port on the xm tuner.

if your gm one has 2 plugs, you can use one of them in order to use the antenna. i believe you need to use the yellow one. sometimes if i cant remember, i just plug one in, then the other until i gets signal. you will also need to remove the plastic connector in order to get it to plug into the xm tuner.