AVIC411.com

Ok, Who wants a bypass for the July 06 units?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[quote name="ducatiboy"]The March 06 unit comes up with a "hey the parking brake is installed incorrectly" message in about 20 feet of motion. The July 06 unit let me drive around for 15 miles. The VSS wire and internal sensors initialized and put me into 3d hybrid. All the while with Blazing Saddles on the dvd player. [/quote]

Just for clarification.... the July 06 unit let you drive "all the while" with Blazing Saddles, right? Not just for the 15 miles at which point it crapped out and stopped playing? (I assume you only tested it for 15 miles, not that you actually tested it for 20 miles, but the new bypass only worked for the first 15?)
wow!! boy am I glad I returned my overpriced April unit from Circuit City, lol! thank you so much for everything Ducatiboy, seriously I dont know many people who would go through the trouble. Now I can consider getting the Z1 again. I was considering a Nismo exhaust instead (in fact I was considering purchasing one tomorrow for my 350Z) but now I have to rethink what I really want..
Just remember to test this out on LONG trips and MULTIPLE trips. With my July 06 unit I was able to see movies with the parking brake merely grounded for varying amounts of time, before the whole unit would revert back to default and stop working.

Ducatiboy, kudos. At least you know I have a July 06 unit and you still got a flasher order from me before we figured out this didn't work.

Anyways, after some serious testing of this, perhaps bench testing as well, we can hopefully verify this. I know I'm ordering a car alarm from Circuit City and the guys there helped me with my install and I'm sure will gladly modify my circuit once this is verified.

-Litos
[quote name="udecker"]Just for clarification.... the July 06 unit let you drive "all the while" with Blazing Saddles, right? Not just for the 15 miles at which point it crapped out and stopped playing? (I assume you only tested it for 15 miles, not that you actually tested it for 20 miles, but the new bypass only worked for the first 15?)[/quote]

With my unit it worked the whole time I was driving, I only said 15 miles cause that's when I stopped driving. It never failed while I was driving. I'm going to test it more today.

[quote name="DJ Machismo"]Just remember to test this out on LONG trips and MULTIPLE trips. With my July 06 unit I was able to see movies with the parking brake merely grounded for varying amounts of time, before the whole unit would revert back to default and stop working.[/quote]

This is a good idea, and why I came on and told people about it before I was 100% sure it was the solution. There were rumors about what would bypass the new units. And I wanted help testing. But my July 06.. I couldn't watch movies for even 20 feet. My video was locked out right away, but I had the GPS antenna and VSS wire hooked up and tried grounding the parking brake alone. That didn't work for me at all, as soon as I grounded this other wire and the parking brake everything worked... for me. :)

[quote name="DJ Machismo"]
Ducatiboy, kudos. At least you know I have a July 06 unit and you still got a flasher order from me before we figured out this didn't work. [/quote]

Yah, I feal bad about those... if you email me through the emails at [url=http://www.sminntech.com]www.sminntech.com[/url] and give me your order date (as long as it's before I put up the warning that the flasher didn't work with new units) I can email you my address... send it back and I'll refund your money. I don't want to take money from anyone for something that doesn't work for them.

[quote name="DJ Machismo"]Anyways, after some serious testing of this, perhaps bench testing as well, we can hopefully verify this. I know I'm ordering a car alarm from Circuit City and the guys there helped me with my install and I'm sure will gladly modify my circuit once this is verified.

-Litos[/quote]

Yes, everyone do some testing and let me know. I hope we found the solution.
[quote name="MitchellStang"]So when does your 'test' unit go up for sale or raffled? If it is a raffle, I am in for sure.[/quote]

A friend of mine was thinking of buying a Z1 and now that I think I found it... I want to test it for a week or so, but I think a friend of mine will be buying it off me. So I won't need to get rid of it through the forum. Thanks for the support though.
Hopefully I'll be testing this out this evening. I received my July z1 yesterday and bench tested the flashing technique with no success. I'll be soldering up the wiring harness this afternoon (as long as work doesn't get in the way) and installing when I get home. I'll let everyone know how it works.
You are the man Steve. I hope a more definitive test proves out. I also find it interesting that you have the same pin with the same properties on the old unit, but it doesn't work. May be something with the brake wire?

I'm still not done with that Acura deal we talked about. I haven't had time to do much more with it. When I do, I'll have you build me a circuit and give it a try.
I was working on a web site to help walk though knowing which bypass you need. I tried the new bypass on my older unit and it did not work, so older ones seem to need the flasher, newer ones seem to need just the grounded wires. What do you think of this page?

[url=http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html]http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html[/url]

Any feedback would be nice.
[quote name="ducatiboy"]Here is something interesting. This bypass DOES NOT work with my March 06 unit... just my July 06 unit. The March 06 unit comes up with a "hey the parking brake is installed incorrectly" message in about 20 feet of motion. The July 06 unit let me drive around for 15 miles. The VSS wire and internal sensors initialized and put me into 3d hybrid. All the while with Blazing Saddles on the dvd player. I can't say that some time in the future this might not work. But it seems like the way to go. What's weird is that it doesn't work on the old units. Guess my circuit is still needed after all.[/quote]

Interesting...

Does that pin on your March 06 unit has +5V while not connected? Any signal differences on those 4 pins between March 06 and July 06?