AVIC411.com

Owners of F Series - Would you do it again?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe I would buy the unit again. I was not one of the ones who received the pre-update units so perhaps my experience with the unit was not bad enough to warrant change. I am thankful for those who unknowingly became pioneers QA division when they received their units first. Their input saved Pioneer and prepped me well for the install. I see the F-Series improving as time goes on.

The big reason I switched from my D3 was voice commands...and the voice commands are pretty much unusable on my 900BT. And I know the screen on this one is supposed to look better, but when I hook my Zune up to it through the A/V inputs, and use TV out it looks like trash, where it looked great on my D3. Take that with the excrutiatingly slow start up time, and the bad Bluetooth interface, and I'm not sure if I'd do it again. I know right now, I'm a lil sad :( I sold my D3 on fleaBay befor I really tried out the 900BT.

I am a little bit disspointed with the boot up time and the errors in the bluetooth system but other then that it is a huge improvement over my D3 and my N2. No looking back and since i have heard that a second update is on its way i presume it will resolve most of my issues

I would not.

This is the worst piece of electronics I have ever bought. There are still many problems with the unit after the update, i.e. Ipod connectivity doesn't work very well, with constant connection errors. A new problem I encountered has been sound cutting out and needing a reboot. Too many issues to list... but I digress...

Sad to say, but this thing drives me bonkers. It should've never left the factory in this condition.

I will not put one in my own vehicle in the current state, even after the update there are still isssues. The basic idea of the unit is great but it needs some improvements and more so than what Pioneer is willing to admit to at this time.

I am still installing these in customers vehicles and have not heard any complaints.

Personnally I have found something else I like better but would use the Pioneer if some major improvements were made. I don't see that happening until maybe the second generation model, I say that because of the attitude that I have gotten from Pioneer dealer tech support when I talk to them about issues and operational charecteristics.

no, i will not.

the high resolution screen is nice on the bench but absolutely unusable in a vehicle while driving in daylight. it even reflex's like a mirror blinding me. this cannot be fixed with software patches, it's how the screen is being designed. :( they should have used a transflective touch screen.

it's a pity since the specifications on paper of this hu are great, far better then other brands. :roll:

also some menu options are not logical but they can be changed by software patches. and then the very well known boot time...

I am very satisfied with this unit. This is my first navigation system I've ever bought with update installed. I'm happy that I have a phone that pairs nicely wit the unit (iPhone). Voice commands have worked almost flawlessly.

The only couple fixed would be:

- transitions from screen to screen more smoothly

- removal of green boxes when unit isn't in route

- iPod/iphone connectivity, catalogging, and video input

Other than that, I would get this unit again. I'll be interested and anticipating the next update.

I'd have to say no. After spending a month with the Kenwood DNX8120 that replaced the F900BT, I couldn't see any reason to even consider going back to the Pioneer. I have a system that works 100%, a bigger brighter screen, bluetooth that is crystal clear. I don't do the iPod thing so maybe that would matter if I did. My USB supports a hard drive. I currently have a 160gb Toshiba connected. The HD radio works great and the XM works great. DVD's are crystal clear and the supposedly lower resolution makes little or no difference while driving and I have better things to do than watch movies while parked. The 57" 1080P in my living room is for that. I thought I'd miss having a real knob for volume but have found I actually prefer the up/down buttons. The remote is a nice touch but I don't use it too much. I guess the bottom line is we all have our preferences when it comes to electronics but when I'm spending upwards of $1K I expect it to work and based on the posts I see, it still appears the F series doesn't fulfill that promise just yet. It's still entertaining and educational to read the posts even though I don't own a F series any longer. Some of the problems and solutions could apply to any unit.