AVIC411.com

Owners of F Series - Would you do it again?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I would not do it again I would say the atlas map inside all these units is lacking compared to other garmin units even though it has 12 million points of interests

here is an example of what I am saying I have another car that has a Kenwood DDX-8019 / KNA-G510 - DVD / Navigation Installed(510 has garmin gps installed)

and that unit you can easily say search for (business name in the area I am in) and there is also a option on the screen that say search for item in other zip code then a person just punches in other zip code

really handy when a person is driving to another town on the go and you can look ahead of time easy

I spoke to a pioneer rep who said the f- series will never have that function

That is a function the F- series does not really have in a simple manner as I am stating with the kenwood unit

mikron24

well no big deal about what the reps says but rather let some of the users of AVIC-F90BT , AVIC-F900BT , AVIC-F700BT, AVIC-F500BT weigh in on this subject because on the atlas maps are week they are encased in a POI only

and there is no option to check by zip code and then check another zip in different area that is just that way pioneer decided to do this with the ATLAS MAPS

pioneer POI's have strange categories based with Poi itself

other manufactures like garmin or Mio put there points of interest directly in the menu system easier to navigate and more choices than Pioneer F - series Searching by zip code is just one example I mentioned about above and there are many more!

I just hope that users of these F-Series get a change to see other manufacturers of car Navigation systems so they can make the wisest broadest decision as possible so they get what they really want

mikron24

• 2 weeks later...

Won't buy it again. Some verry anoying problems in this unit compare to my old D3. The D3's screen was not so sharp but the GUI was much better than the new F900.

I always thought that new unit should be better but in this case its an disaster.

Regards

Martijn, Amsterdam, Europe

I'm happy with the F900 - I'm not having nearly as many problems as others - my blackberry pearl syncs contacts any time I want, phone calls come in with the id displayed, call clarity is pretty clear - sometimes very clear other times not so clear (this is the case with using a cell phone in general)

Ipod is great - very happy with it - but most importantly - if it wasn't for the steering wheel SWI-PS controls - I would be more unhappy with the unit.

Steering wheel controls actually complete the unit - example - slow boot up - not an issue with the controls - for example - after I turn the key - my unit is playing songs off the ipod in about 20 - 30 seconds - as soon as I hear the songs - I can control them via the steering wheel controls - change track, volume, mute - while the system it self is saying starting up or vr dictionary loading. You cannot do this via the unit alone.

Voice control is great for ipod - not so much for contacts - I need to figure that part out. But all in all I'm very happy. You really need the unit & the steering wheel controls to complete it.

As more updates come out - the unit will become better.

My .02$

Thanks,

Chris

I am all for the F series. It is a major upgrade to the D3 in my opinion. I had a problem with my ipod also but I was running 1.0.2 software on my ipod which I needed for the D3 to enable videos. Now since I have updated to 1.1.2 everything is good to go with no problems. My voice rec. for the ipod is seamless and I have a heavy southern accent so I don't understand how other people are having issues. Load time is a bit of a pain but oh well. Overall this was a good buy in my opinion F900bt.

After some initial problems (and one right now, where I'm not sure if the latest iTunes update will work with it), I'm very very happy with the unit.

Voice commands work fine. The phone is excellent. People say it is better than my analog headset, which I thought was impossible.

The sound is great (boosted by a NEXT five channel amp).

I got it also for voice commands because I drive a 20 mile mountain every day and thought it would be smart (duh) not to have to take my eyes off the road (my hands upon the wheel), and they work well for me.

I've had no luck with MSN, but I need to work that out. It worked one day and they claim it should work in my area, but doesn't. Overall, for the price, I got what I wanted: James Bond technology in a 17 year old car, good radio and good tunes.

I will post a video review soon too.

I purchased both the f900bt and the f700bt, both of which did not work properly and efficiently after the firmware updates. Sent them both back and bought a Z1 upgraded to Z3(with garrat's drives) and a D3 for my wife's car. I cant wait until a hybrid of both Z and F series meet...until then, I am completely satisfied with my Z series that I control my bluetooth and ipod from my steering wheel using my ir remote.

well the unit takes a good minute and a half to turn on before you can do anything with it. once its on tho, the navigation is completely functional and the gps resumes where every you turned off your car.

so yea it keeps a lock on the satellites but the unit takes a minute and a half to fully be functional.