AVIC411.com

Progress: Blue Boxes and Contacts

Sorry to confuse you all, but I have to admit that I have the same problem, however yesterday I fiddled around and the blue boxes weren't there. Quite exiting for me, so I posted too early...

During initialization of the screen the boxes are positioned on the screen and disappear when the route is cancelled. I tried another flag:

visiblemodel="navigation.direction_id.valid"

Didn't work either :(

So we have to find the initialization scripts and comment out the blue-box lines. Will look into that today and let you know once I find a solution that works right away ;-)

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have a chance to test this out, but there's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work (famous last words). Anyway, those of you that are anxious to get this resolved, here is a new copy of navigatemap_800_480.ui to replace the version in:
DATA/pioneer_ui/800_480/ui/

Put that new copy there after making a backup of your original file, zip it up, and load it through the TESTMODE hack.

I'll test it in the morning and package up a zip version for those that don't want to make any other mods, or want it as easy as possible to change.

I used that file and well it kinda worked the box on the left only appears when i set a route but the top box is always there.

For the lower-left corner, the three-line info area, I found that the icons and text are set through the scripts. So the visiblemodel didn't work for them... there's so much redundancy it's hard to tell which script is calling it at what time. For that stuff you have the added complexity that the content is set through the settings, i.e. you can change the actual information, so it isn't hard-wired like it is for the other areas.

I'm sure there are solutions, it's just a matter of determining what the best one is. One possibility is to move them off-screen when they aren't desired, then move them back onscreen when they are. That would have to be changed through scripts, rather than through navigatemap_800_480.ui. I have confirmed that you can add your own scripts, last night I added scripts to change all my text displays based on whether it's night or day - daytime my text displays are dark, nighttime they all turn light, so they always have good contrast against the map.

Anyhow, the trick for adding your own scripts is just to make sure there's a way to call them. It'd be a snap to add a script to move the lower-left box and it's contents to a position off screen, then another script to move all that stuff back on-screen. The catch is, figuring out where to add the call so that script is executed.

What's the advantage over having the boxes appear/disappear with routes as opposed to just changing the color of the routing information text (e.g.; distance to next turn and name of next turn) that appears in the upper left corner when a route is in progress? I deleted the boxes and changed the color of that text to make it more visible without the boxes; looks great! (I changed mine to a dark blue; code 0000CC.) Am I missing something that was contained in the boxes while a route's in progress?

What's the advantage over having the boxes appear/disappear with routes as opposed to just changing the color of the routing information text (e.g.; distance to next turn and name of next turn) that appears in the upper left corner when a route is in progress? I deleted the boxes and changed the color of that text to make it more visible without the boxes; looks great! (I changed mine to a dark blue; code 0000CC.) Am I missing something that was contained in the boxes while a route's in progress?

You are not missing anything but depending on the map background having the boxes adds additional contrast that makes it easier to see what is there. At least that is my thought on the boxes.

I found the problem with the navigate_800_480.ui file I posted above (man there is a lot of redundant code in these things that doesn't actually do anything).

I started a new topic with step-by-step instructions for prepackaged installs, as well as manual edits:

HOW TO: Remove Blue Boxes

Let me know if you have any problems or questions.

I'm working on finalizing that mod right now, and then I need to test it for a few hours. This one is considerably more tricky than the boxes due to how it's handled (look at Stephanie's last post for an explanation).

I (or someone else) will start another thread when it's ready.

I really like skicraves idea of making HOW TO pages which show step-by-step intructions to do the mods. I also like the clean layout and the pictures which go with the different steps. I think this trend should continue and all of the HOW TO mods should be stickied. I would also love to see a HOW TO for the contacts mod (making the contact names show up when receiving a call) and the beeps mod (getting rid of the beeps completely). This way the mods can be completed by even the most computer illiterate.

I have a question for stephanie... I added the line in the .ui file for altitude display and since I live in Denver (above 1 mile high) my display usually says 1.0M or 1.1M. Is there a way to force the display units to feet in the scripting? With my very limited scripting experience I have found none.

In the string that enables the display it references

textmodel_wstr="navigation.current_altitude.full_text"

Is this something in the data.zip or in the iGo directory that configures how the text is displayed? (other than font, color, size of course)

I have a question for stephanie... I added the line in the .ui file for altitude display and since I live in Denver (above 1 mile high) my display usually says 1.0M or 1.1M. Is there a way to force the display units to feet in the scripting? With my very limited scripting experience I have found none.

In the string that enables the display it references

textmodel_wstr="navigation.current_altitude.full_text"

Is this something in the data.zip or in the iGo directory that configures how the text is displayed? (other than font, color, size of course)

Unfortunately, I believe the units are set automatically.

Instead of "navigation.current_altitude.full_text" you could try "gps.elevation" and see if that works for you - that's the value that's used on the GPS Status page. You could check that screen first and see if it displays in miles or feet. Where I am, the highest elevation in my area is about 1750 feet, so that issue has never actually crossed my mind.

Unfortunately, I believe the units are set automatically.

Instead of "navigation.current_altitude.full_text" you could try "gps.elevation" and see if that works for you - that's the value that's used on the GPS Status page. You could check that screen first and see if it displays in miles or feet. Where I am, the highest elevation in my area is about 1750 feet, so that issue has never actually crossed my mind.

That would probably work because on the gps status page is says 1 mile 200 ft for example. I asked this question on gps passion as well so someone there with more experience with iGo might be able to shed light on this.

You must have already pursued this, but ... can you use that 'visiblemodel="navigation.distance_to_manuver.valid"' business for the blue boxes and the three times/distances on the lower-left? Or does it only work for the buttons on the right?

I tried it for the blue boxes and it didn't work. :/ It was one of the first things I tried, and I'mnot sure why it didn't work.

Edited for clarity: Although there are two kinds of file (visual elements, versus scripts) they all have the same file name of .ui which makes it confusing. The stuff that is in the 800_480\ui directory is almost all visual elements; the stuff that is in the common\ui directory is almost all scripts. Visual elements like and so on, can be turned on and off, or have any properties, manipulated by the scripts. So even though a visual element like the boxes or some text gets hidden or turned on and off in the visual file itself, the scripts can override that. So when I first tried to get rid of the blue boxes, I tried using the visiblemode property. However, it did not work because scripts overrode it and displayed them anyways.

As for using visiblemode on the three lines of text... it can't hurt to try. It is in navigate_800_480.ui. You could add the visiblemode stuff to each of the elements in it (there are 9 or 10 elements). However, I think the visibility mode gets overriden by scripting, for at least some of that stuff. So it might not be effective.

For the three lines of text, in the ui_pioneer\common\navigatemap.ui and ui_pioneer\common\ui\navigatemap.ui files, there are three scripts:

sc_ShowNavigateMapSettingsDestination

sc_ShowNavigateMapSettingsVia

sc_ShowNavigateMapSettingsCruise

And in the navigate_800_480.ui there are 9 buttons defined:

btnNSM_1d

btnNSM_2d

btnNSM_3d

btnNSM_1v

btnNSM_2v

btnNSM_3v

btnNSM_1c

btnNSM_2c

btnNSM_3c

The d buttons are activated for destination, v for via and c for cruise.

There are four other buttons, named xxx.

One shows gps.current time

Two shows navigation.current_altitude.full_text

Three shows navigation.current_speed_limit.full_text (cool)

Four is speedometer_dummy.bmp - not sure what this bmp shows I cant see it for some reason.

There are also three layers, which contain the text for the buttons:

ui_NavigateMapSettingsDestination

ui_NavigateMapSettingsVia

ui_NavigateMapSettingsDir

It looks like when you set a destination the d buttons are selected. When you have a via way point (vMultiSegmentPath is 1) you will show the v buttons. If the route is invalid (vValidRoute is 0) you will see the c buttons (which are all --:-- or some such).

It also appears that each layer and each button has a hide and show method.

You could simply call hide the c buttons in the sc_ShowNavigateMapSettingsCruise script

So I am going to try this. I moved the Speed Limit button to the lower left and named it, I am hiding the c buttons all the time, and when in cruise mode, I will show then showing the Speed limit button. Of course then I am hiding it on the other two modes...

we will see.