AVIC411.com

Progress: Blue Boxes and Contacts

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after some research, trying to decompile the executables (which I cannot fully accomplish since they are ARM Windows CE (though surprisingly I have found a linux tool which will work) it looks like Pioneer farmed out much of the script and actual code work to China. Also trying to follow the script flow I am seeing some really bad programming practices. Its real spaghetti code, even for a script. There are multiple copies of the same files in different directories for crying out loud!

Anothe problem I am having, I am trying (using Winzip 11.2) to uncompress/modify/recompress the data.zip to make life easier. Also i wanted to mess with the compression settings (using none and very compressed) to see the impact on boot time.

I did replace the chimes with a nice bump type sound. Its a smaller wav so it plays faster (to me at least) and its less grating. Still the NAV uses different sound files, as do the main menu hard buttons.

I am pretty close to getting the Windows CE device emulator to work on my desktop. i hope to at least run MainMenu.exe - granted there is no hardware emulators so I dont know how much it will test.

But, I am still thinking its just not worth the effort. I just wanted a nice NAV system that worked, not one I had to work for.

So I've finally got my nav running almost the way I want. I've got the boxes coming and going when I'm not navigating. I've made the clock easier to read. I added the route kill button. The last thing I want is to have the box in the lower left with 3 piece of nav info come and go when I'm navigating. I've almost got it working but I can't get something figured out. I've gotten the pictures showing for the info I want. I am able to have it show the distance to destination and current speed but I can't figure out the proper variable to use to show either time remaining to destination or ETA to destination. Anyone have any insight?

As you know, the content of those three boxes in the lower left can be customized through the normal Navi settings menu. So if you're still using the original text elements etc then you can just change the context through the settings as per the manual.

If you've replaced the original elements with your own and you need the actual internal variables to display what you want, then have a look in data.zip\ui_pioneer\common\ui\navigatemap.ui and down towards the bottom you will find all the variables for the various options for those three lines.

Well after some research, trying to decompile the executables (which I cannot fully accomplish since they are ARM Windows CE (though surprisingly I have found a linux tool which will work) it looks like Pioneer farmed out much of the script and actual code work to China. Also trying to follow the script flow I am seeing some really bad programming practices. Its real spaghetti code, even for a script. There are multiple copies of the same files in different directories for crying out loud!

Anothe problem I am having, I am trying (using Winzip 11.2) to uncompress/modify/recompress the data.zip to make life easier. Also i wanted to mess with the compression settings (using none and very compressed) to see the impact on boot time.

I did replace the chimes with a nice bump type sound. Its a smaller wav so it plays faster (to me at least) and its less grating. Still the NAV uses different sound files, as do the main menu hard buttons.

I am pretty close to getting the Windows CE device emulator to work on my desktop. i hope to at least run MainMenu.exe - granted there is no hardware emulators so I dont know how much it will test.

But, I am still thinking its just not worth the effort. I just wanted a nice NAV system that worked, not one I had to work for.

I wonder if the inefficient code writing is contributing to the boot time?

Don

If the file isn't there, then having someone else do a sync to initialize it should be fine. The ???? was for a bunch of crazy hex characters that are in the file name. Or I could provide the SQLite dump for an empty database, if you like? Then you could plug in your own values and go from there. The crazy hex characters should be the same as those for the recently-calls database file.

Caveat - I don't really know how to use SQLite, I just downloaded it and fumbled my way through this 2 hours ago... I can provide the empty dump file but not really much in the way of detailed instructions on what to do next.

8)

Can i have your Data.zip File Please :)

So I've finally got my nav running almost the way I want. I've got the boxes coming and going when I'm not navigating. I've made the clock easier to read. I added the route kill button. The last thing I want is to have the box in the lower left with 3 piece of nav info come and go when I'm navigating. I've almost got it working but I can't get something figured out. I've gotten the pictures showing for the info I want. I am able to have it show the distance to destination and current speed but I can't figure out the proper variable to use to show either time remaining to destination or ETA to destination. Anyone have any insight?
I've got a question... the next time there is a firmware update, will all this will have to be done over again or not?

I doubt it. A firmware update will probably come with its own data.zip, so it might be necessary to replace that file, but unless they do something very drastic, it shouldn't impact any of this.

Can i have your Data.zip File Please :)

Me too please

I've got a question... the next time there is a firmware update, will all this will have to be done over again or not?

I doubt it. A firmware update will probably come with its own data.zip, so it might be necessary to replace that file, but unless they do something very drastic, it shouldn't impact any of this.

Im suspecting thats whats taking them so long to release the second update. They are probably trying exactly that, to reverse everything were doing and keep us from doing it again. However, based on the piss poor condition of the OS coding to begin with, Im in doubt they are competent enough to do so. So I hope your right.

I wonder if the inefficient code writing is contributing to the boot time?

Don

I suspect it indeed does have an impact on the slow boot time.

Im suspecting thats whats taking them so long to release the second update. They are probably trying exactly that, to reverse everything were doing and keep us from doing it again. However, based on the piss poor condition of the OS coding to begin with, Im in doubt they are competent enough to do so. So I hope your right.

If that's the case, then I probably wont even update the the F a second time unless:

A) It contains a fix that's worth updating the unit

B) It won't be restored to factory and they dont put a block on windows mode