AVIC411.com

Thoughts about that darn Safety message...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have an editor that can read the .bpnd files in the .res files correctly? I thought I saw Guga mention they were .xml files or something of that nature, but opening them in a non-hex editor gives you some extra ASCII characters (kind of like F|O|N|T...). Also made sure it wasn't a SQLite DB that just happened to store strings as Unicode or something like that.

Anyway, there's a .bpnd file in one of the .res files (I think it was AVRes.res or something like that) that looks to be related to a warning message. Just couldn't read it out correctly to correlate which .exe calls it or how to kill it.

EDIT: Correction. It's in MainRes.Res under MainRes\NSWinsOpening\UIN_WIN_PLCaution.win.pnd.bpnd. Killing off some of the NULs didn't result in any strings matching the warning message, so... Losts of Font and Text Content IDs though, so it still might be in MainMenu.exe if it was indeed built with NSBasic (gotta love eVB/NSBasic forms).

I don't think that the warning is from ezrider.exe. I think that it is actually in the mainmenu.exe. I have been running the executable in the Windows CE V5.0 emulator. The warning screen pops up even after I deleted all the iGo files.

This makes sense, as the warning only come up the first time you initialize the map function? I'm still waiting on my unit so I cant offer much help yet but from what I've been reading it sounds like the warning only comes up once until you turn the car off. From a programming prospective this has to be part of the main unit program, not the mapping software. Has anyone looked at the launch code from the main dash screen for the units? the code for the MAP button? Just my .02

• 4 weeks later...

I was playing around with NAVI.exe and replaced the WM_PAINT branch with a branch that send PostQuitMessage to see if I could get NAVI.exe to immediately return. I then booted into test mode and copied my modified binary over into APL directory and ran MAINMENU.exe directly. After touching the DESTINATION icon, I still got the safety warning message.

I decided to try one more thing before restoring my AVIC back to default. I deleted NAVI.exe and reran MAINMENU.exe. I still got the safety warning after touching the DESTINATION icon. All of this leads me to believe that the safety message is still in MAINMENU.exe.

I bought a male-male usb cable hoping to remote debug MAINMENU.exe but I can't get Vista to recognize the AVIC over USB. Anyone able to help me? I've already sent leetcoder a PM asking for a good pointer to start tracing at the code that responds to pressing the DESTINATION icon. Anyone else interested in disassembling MAINMENU.EXE?

Paul

Ok, Mainmenu.exe contains the source of the safety message.

I placed var vDriveCarefully=0 with lots of different formats i.e. DriveCarefully=0,etc...

I tried different values such as -1 and 1 and 0.

I only had the mainmenu.exe file with the .dlls and the ini files ....parrot, etc.. in them from its parent directory and I also had only the sys.ini file going in the appropriate folder to keep everything controlled, so in other words there were no other files on the flash disk.

DriveCarefully variable was placed in all the .ini files.

Result: Message still comes up.

Next Actions that will have to be taken....decompile mainmenu.exe because it's all in there.

I have asked leetcoder to point me to the entry point where the destination button is pressed. Maybe it we all ask him nicely he will help us out.

If any knows how to get the device emulator or our avic to work with ida pro or any other debugger, that would rapidly increase my progress. Right now I am hand tracing the instructions and commenting the code.

Paul

Hey guys... In the file data.zip/ui_pioneer/common/ui/navigatemap.ui, there is a code snippet that caught my eye:

The sc_SkipMessageBox script's code is:
[code]

I haven't been able to track down the code for vActionNotConfirmed or sc_HideMessageBox yet, but has anyone tried messing with this code to see if commenting it out skips the safety message? It seems like it's something run-once and disable...

Also noticed some messages that the init is sending to MainMenu and AV:

EXEC "other.pioneer.postmessage" "MainMenu" "WM_APP_AV_IGOMAP" 1
	EXEC "other.pioneer.postmessage" "MainMenu" "WM_APP_MAINMENU_CLONING" 5

and

Has anyone managed to set some breakpoints in the simulator and catch these message events?

FourG,

Those do look like interesting snippets of code. Have you tried modding these lines and/or deleting the entire file? If I remember correctly, I deleted the entire iGo directory tree and ran mainmenu.exe on the Windows CE emulator (still can't get it to sync up/debug with IDA Pro on vista!!!!!). The message still popped up. You may want to confirm this on your AVIC. That would either confirm or deny that those snippets are doing what you think they are doing.

Back to hand tracing MainMenu.exe!!!

Paul

• 2 months later...
FourG,

Those do look like interesting snippets of code. Have you tried modding these lines and/or deleting the entire file? If I remember correctly, I deleted the entire iGo directory tree and ran mainmenu.exe on the Windows CE emulator (still can't get it to sync up/debug with IDA Pro on vista!!!!!). The message still popped up. You may want to confirm this on your AVIC. That would either confirm or deny that those snippets are doing what you think they are doing.

Back to hand tracing MainMenu.exe!!!

Paul

Any further progress ? been quiet for a few months....

Any further progress ? been quiet for a few months....

Not quite yet, just got the F90BT and GEX-P10HD hooked up on the desk with an ATX power supply this weekend but haven't had time to start hacking (pesky thing called work keeps getting in the way :roll:). It's on the Todo list, but like Dr Paul mentioned even with the entire APL2 directory nuked the message still pops up in the simulator (have to confirm on actual hardware). Hopefully there's a registry hack to kick the USB into ActiveSync mode so I can attach a remote debugger...