AVIC411.com

Hacking the disclaimer at startup!!

• 1 month later...

As the many threads show, there is no lack of effort hacking this unit. There is an aversion to unappreciative people that don't know what they're talking about saying, "People find the hack!!" and "Everyone is waiting" when those of us that do know what we're doing are working on finding a solution.

You can be sure as soon as there is a solution it will be posted here. Until then, either pick up some code and start contributing, or comment on one of the other half a dozen threads on this topic.

I never saw a Forum that shows such an aversion for hacking a f* expensive unit that comes locked up!

I don't see YOU working on it. :roll:

I started working on it, but it's not easy to learn SH4 assembly when your only area of programming expertise is VB and Javascript. I haven't had much personal time to devote to this project for the past few months, but I'll be happy to devote full time effort into it if you will pay me a full-time salary comparable to my current employment.

It always surprises me the number of people that will come into a free forum and complain about information that's given at no cost. Talk about a sense of entitlement.

Here is a thought, and it is only that. I have vertually zero computer hacking knowledge, so I may be way off base, but here i goes.

I know that every time you start up the unit, you have to hit the "OK" key to view the map, but I have noticed on my D1 that if I have a route programmed in, and I turn off my truck to get gas or what ever, when I start up the truck again, I do not get the warning message.

So there must be a way to find the line of code that bypasses the warning message when a route is programmed.

Just a thought, hopefully it leads someone with hacking experience to the answer we are all looking for.

There's definitely a way. I just haven't found it.

I'll find code making reference to the safety warning message, and I'll think I found it. I'll replace it with NOP (No OPeration, means skip this line). Either one of 3 things will happen: the warning pops up as if my changes did nothing, the unit will go into a permanent reboot loop, or when the navigation loads, it'll beep and all the A/V screens work, but going into navigation does nothing.

Assembly is just so different from what I'm used to. Where in VB it only takes one line of code to put "Hello World" on the screen, in assembly it probably takes 20+ lines of code, swapping bytes to and from various registers, memory offsets, etc. and branching to memory locations that make no sense.

Even if I had the source code in C, I would have figured this out a long time ago. Too bad I don't know a developer inside Pioneer who could sneak me out some C source. We could really work some magic with that.

I used IDA Pro Advanced to disassemble the code. Both NAVI.EXE and AV.EXE makes reference to a safety message. I think AV.EXE is the video/DVD player app.

I think nEventWatcher.exe is the main program that controls everything, from watching for input from touchscreen and buttons to launching the appropriate app. I wasn't able to disassemble that program though, IDA Pro keeps insisting it's an x86 app and won't let me disassemble it as an SH4 app.

In the PLATFORM folder, there's a .PRG file. This actually gets flashed into the firmware. You have to use some tools made for dumping Windows Mobile 2003 files in order to dump the files contained within the .PRG file. The .PRG contains all the files for the Windows CE OS, drivers, and a few Pioneer-specific files.

too bad this cant be done the way most people reverse engineer things. Normally we install a harness inline and tap 4 wires PWR, GND, Can + and CAN- but i guess you could kinda do it with an IDE sniffer or an IDE extension and read it that way you can tell exactly what executable is being called when the OK comes up.

Personally the OK doesnt bother me as much as the copyright banners did. But i do have a guy i work with that can code assembly, im a C guy myself. and yes a C dump would be phenominal we could make it do everything and anything we wanted. Assembly is old school but its like trying to learn spanish when your first language is english "C".

I also agree those that dont contribute should not be able to demand. Just like those without 50 posts cant do calssifieds.