AVIC411.com

HOW TO: Blue Box Fix

Thanks to the efforts of everyone on the forums, we now have a fix for the dreaded blue/green boxes that show up when no route is active in the factory software.

Before/After:

before.jpg

after.jpg

There are two ways to apply this fix:

1) Download the prepackaged DATA.zip file and install it on your system. This is by far the easiest way, and that is how I would recommend novices perform the installation.

2) Manually edit your navigatemap_800_480.ui file if you already have customizations to your skin that you would like to retain.

Option 1: Prepackaged Installation

This is the easiest way to perform the modification, but should not be done if you have already made changes to your skin that you wish to retain. To install, download the DATA.zip package at the link below and install in the following directory using the TESTMODE mod:

My Flash Disk/APL2/iGo/

I recommend you copy your existing DATA.zip file found in the above directory so that you can restore it just in case something goes wrong.

Download DATA.ZIP (6.1MB file)

Option 2: Manually Edit navigatemap_800_480.ui

If you have already performed customizations to your navigation skin, chances are you have an altered version of this file. In that case, you will need to manually perform the edits listed below on the appropriate lines in your file. This file can be found in:

DATA.zip/ui_pioneer/800_480/ui/

Line numbers below are given for the original file, so if you've changed things, they may be in slightly different locations.

On Line 70 find:

and replace with:

;************************************************
;*** Remove the Boxes Mod
;*** By skicrave of avic411.com/forums
;original function call moved off the screen to avoid error

;new unnamed function with background image and route intelligence

;*** End of the Boxes Mod

On Lines 99-100 find:

and replace with:

;*** Remove the Boxes Mod
;*** By skicrave of avic411.com/forums

;new unnamed function for second turn with background image and route intelligence	

;*** End of the Boxes Mod

Save that file to your DATA.zip archive, and install on your F-Series and you should be set.

Enjoy a clean map when no route is active!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This worked about 95% on my system. The only issue I have is that I no longer get the arrow box when in a route in 2D mode. I used to get this box in 2D or 3D mode, and now it only works in 3D mode. I still get the street name box at the top. Any ideas? Obviously I could revert back to the original, but I like it much better without the boxes there in no-route mode.

Thanks!!!

Dave

Hey Dave-

A few people posted that they didn't get the arrows in 2D mode even with the factory software. I noticed that too, but based on those posts, I didn't worry about it.

Sounds like that's a bug, so let fix it for you real quick and I'll let you know when it's done.

Hey Dave-

A few people posted that they didn't get the arrows in 2D mode even with the factory software. I noticed that too, but based on those posts, I didn't worry about it.

Sounds like that's a bug, so let fix it for you real quick and I'll let you know when it's done.

I didn't get arrows consistently before the update, but it was always there afterward. I also didn't get the box before the update (I can't remember if others did).

Either way, it's not a big deal. It would be great if it worked, but having the boxes gone is much more important (to me).

Thanks again!

Dave

Thanks for the extra information. I actually didn't get to spend much time on fixing this today, but I just installed my customized version (I have two copies of DATA.zip I'm working with right now, one custom and one clean with just the box mod) and it does display the arrow and background in 2D mode. I'm not sure what the difference between the two is, as the section related to the turn boxes is exactly the same. I'm thinking it must be one of the other modifications I've made to my customized version that is fixing a bug in 2D mode.

So the good news is I know there is a way to fix it because mine is working right, I just don't know what the issue is yet. It takes a while to troubleshoot things because you have to repackage the zip, load it, reboot the unit, yadda, yadda, but I'll get it figured out.

I have some vague thoughts on the problem - the boxes and arrows are contained within elements. Those layers are turned on and off through scripts. The fact that the behavior in 2d mode is inconsistent, makes me believe this is a bug. There is probably some sequence of things that makes them appear or vanish in 2d mode, while in 3d mode they seem to be there all the time. The manual shows the arrows and boxes in 2d mode, so I suspect that is the intended behavior.

For me, I fixed it by moving them out of the layer they were in, and into the first layer which is always visible. That bypassed whatever scripting bug was suppressing them in 2d mode.

Ummm ok...

I'll be trying Option 1 :lol:

But really...I tried several things last night. Ended up having to revert back to the original...twice.

After copying the data (no ".zip") and rebooting, how long should it take the thing to finish loading? After three minutes, I was still looking at a "Please wait" message... :cry:

Am I forgetting something? I shouldn't have to "reset" or anything, right?

@ski:

THANKS!

:D

Ummm ok...

I'll be trying Option 1 :lol:

But really...I tried several things last night. Ended up having to revert back to the original...twice.

After copying the data (no ".zip") and rebooting, how long should it take the thing to finish loading? After three minutes, I was still looking at a "Please wait" message... :cry:

Nope, you must be doing something wrong. Make sure the data.zip is going in the right folder first. Rename the original data.zip something else and leave it in the AVIC as a "just in case". Drag the modded one where the renamed data.zip is.

@ski:

THANKS!

:D

I highly recommend that you change it so that you can see the filename extensions. It'll help you make sure that you've got the filenames right.

To do that, in Explorer, select the "View" menu, and somewhere under there, you'll find a checkbox to show the filename extensions. The world is a lot easier to operate in if the system doesn't hide things from you.

and from the words of HiFiSi, USE THE SEARCH BUTTON...

I think we need some sticky threads for tutorials. I've been screwing around with this thing for a while, and it's even tough for me to find things sometimes. The search isn't that effective when people reference what they've done to their unit in their sig. For instance, if you modified it to get rid of the boxes and put "no boxes" in your sig, every post by that user comes up in a search. I agree that people should search, but I often do and can't find what I'm looking for... even when I know it's here somewhere.

Dave