AVIC411.com

Connect F90 to Vehicle Interior Dome Light

I just purchased a F90 and I'm trying to think of ways to mask the boot-up time and was thinking of tieing the Red wire into my dome light in my vehicle. This way when I unlock my doors the light comes on and it also starts the radio. At the same time I would also tie the Red wire into the ignition.

Does this sound reasonable or am I crazy? If someone can help me out with the details that would be great as I am no electronics wizard.

That has been proposed several times already. It won't work with most cars. The starter on almost all cars pulls the battery voltage down low enough that a reboot will happen when you start the car. I ran a temporary line directly to the battery and that is what happened to mine. You could try a second battery and and a battery isolator, but the cost isn't worth it.

The best solution so far is a remote starter.

• 1 month later...
The starter on almost all cars pulls the battery voltage down low enough that a reboot will happen when you start the car.

As long as the voltage doesn't drop below 10 volts, the AVIC should stay alive, but in most cases the accessory wire shuts down during the crank cycle since it isn't required, like the ignition wire.

A remote starter is a good option, as long as it also powers up the radio accesory wire, but it would have to be programmed as ignition, so it also doesn't shut down during the crank cycle. Also not all remote starters power up the radio accesory, and just power up the heater fan, so a relay for the 2nd accessory wire will be necessary, but again, programmed as ignition.

Some remote starters, or alarms have an auxillary output that can be triggered by remote. If that output can be programmed as a latched output, you could easily trigger the red wire to turn on before you got to your car...but it may still shut down during the crank cycle.

The starter on almost all cars pulls the battery voltage down low enough that a reboot will happen when you start the car.

As long as the voltage doesn't drop below 10 volts, the AVIC should stay alive, but in most cases the accessory wire shuts down during the crank cycle since it isn't required, like the ignition wire.

A remote starter is a good option, as long as it also powers up the radio accesory wire, but it would have to be programmed as ignition, so it also doesn't shut down during the crank cycle. Also not all remote starters power up the radio accesory, and just power up the heater fan, so a relay for the 2nd accessory wire will be necessary, but again, programmed as ignition.

Some remote starters, or alarms have an auxillary output that can be triggered by remote. If that output can be programmed as a latched output, you could easily trigger the red wire to turn on before you got to your car...but it may still shut down during the crank cycle.

Couldn't he just use a diode between the ignition wire and the accessory wire from the radio harness? that way it'd turn on after the crank and would stay on after he put his key in?

As far as the dome light I think you can use a diode to that wire (door trigger) instead of the ignition wire from the ignition harness, but I think it'd have to be a positive polarity wire and I'm not sure if that wire cuts out during the crank.