AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1 - my first impression

Installation was not as bad as I had thought it would be. I need to get back into the dash to do some better cable management, but I lost all my daylight.

(for those who properly connected the parking break wire, was that a huge pain in the ass or what?)

Bluetooth:

Seems to work very well. I set the voice volume down as I had read online and nobody I have spoke to with it is having echo issues.

navigation:

I have not strayed too far from the house yet, but so far it has been pretty accurate, and route correction was instant and well done. It did think a business I was driving too was on the wrong side of the street, but no big deal.

CD ripping:

The one CD I tried (late 80's early 90's punk) did not seem to be reckonized by the built in CDDB software. I know Windows Media Player and iTunes both have the ability to go out and find the track names and disc name of this disk.

DVD Playback:

best screen in an aftermarket headunit I've seen to date, including the new AVN5500 Eclipse unit.

Telephone # lookup:

It did find the business that I looked up that it thought was on the wrong side of the street, however it did not find my parents phone number which has not changed in 29 years and is listed. Maybe it only has business numbers.

So far I am pleased with it. I do have a few questions for anyone that may know the answer...

1) Is there anyway to disable the annoying disclaimer screen at startup?
2) Where is everyone mounting their GPS antenna? I have mine right now on the dash in the corner on the passenger side.
3) Did anyone else have a hard time getting the Ford factory antenna plug to fit in the proper jack on the back of the head unit?

Thanks,
mikebaby
It is only business phone numbers. I have my antenna in the same spot as you with no problems with accuracy yet. Will move it to the roof if I have any later on

[quote name="mikebaby"]it did not find my parents phone number which has not changed in 29 years and is listed. Maybe it only has business numbers.
[/quote]
[quote name="mikebaby"]It's in a new body style F-150 SuperCrew.

mikebaby[/quote]

I have a '05 F-150 SCREW and I have the antenna coming out of the opening where the 3rd brake light is located. So far it works well in the location.

As for the antenna hooking up in the back of the unit. I do not have a problem with it.
[quote name="Anonymous"] [quote name="NYRngrs24"] I wanted to put on the roof, but the wire was not long enough. I got a suv.[/quote]

It comes with a 16' cable for the gps antenna[/quote]

Not long enough for full size SUV's, think cable routing and management.
[quote name="edrock200"]
Not long enough for full size SUV's, think cable routing and management.[/quote]

I own a lincoln Aviator and I had the same problem. Best I could get was 4 feet away from the had unit. So I ran it to the passenger side, out the passenger door, up under the front right fender, inside the rubber "lip" on the right of the windshield. And on to the roof above the windshield towards the passenger side. Most people don't notice it. I was considering just leaving it on the dash, but just incase I ran it outside. It is not noticable and works great.
It was barely long enought to get to the back of the roof on my vic (i.e. I had to hook it to the unit put the unit in the dash then pull all the slack out of the cable to get enough to get it back there.) When I take it out to put the bluetooth in I will have to move the antenna get some slack and then do it all over again lol.