AVIC411.com

Is Pioneer's Map Update Overpriced?

Guest astrobill

Guest astrobill

All:

Here's a cost comparison of map update prices from the manufacturer's web sites.:

Garmin Nuvi 2008 North America Map Update For most Nuvi's: $60

Tom Tom Map of North America Update 7.25: $100

Magellan 2008/2009 North America Map Update: $80

Pioneer's seemingly(?) overpriced AVIC Update: $120

As you can see, Pioneer's North America map update DVD costs twice as much as Garmin's, 50% more than Magellan's, and 25% more than Tom Tom's.

edit:

The Alpine one for the Blackbird is about $70. Rumor has it that the Eclipse updates are MORE expensive than all of these, but I've been unable to verify that for sure...

Troll--How come you don't include the prices for the other in-car companies?

Alpine is almost twice as much and Eclipse is almost three times as much as Pioneer. Quit bitching. You're the guy that said an update would NEVER come out, and now you're bitter that it actually did

You are what makes this worse; you guys have no idea how Poineer is getting shafted...

You see NavTeq the makers of the charges almost double for the maps becuase you have an installed unit.

Try doing your research and compair apples to apples....

Portable hand help unit maps cost hardly anything compaired to these install pieces.

So look at Eclipse, kenwood, Alpine, navteq and Tele Atlis and see what prices you get.... You need to look at installed unit.

There was a day when map supdate cost over $500... the prices have come way don over the last 12 years....

What's funny is that my friend has that updated Garmin and both my girlfriend and I have the new updated discs. She has the D3 and I have the D2, and both of us were laughing at him because like you, he bragged so much about the costs of Pioneer's updated discs compared to his Garmin.

We went to a mutual birthday party this past weekend, and the road where the houseparty was located didn't exist on his "new" disc, so he had to call my girlfriend and get directions on how to get there because he knew I'd give him hell. By the way, this particular road has been paved for two years, and was on last year's updated Pioneer disc.

Guest astrobill

Calm down....All I did was post a list of cost comparisons....and what comes back? Insane flaming madman posts! lol Take some 'ludes, dudes.

Secondly, if you all think the updates are so cheap, why is everyone on this site apparently downloading illegal images of the update disks and making and selling copies? Either you are all correct, and it's cheap, and you should all buy legal copies at $120 a shot from Pioneer...OR....you should all admit these are too expensive and then continue making your illegal pirated copies

For "Camel Towing":

Alpine's updates for the Blackbird nav system, directly from their web site:

Alpine PVD-B102 Software Update DVD Version 2.0 For Blackbird

U.S. $70.00

Edit:

And many Alpine units are being advertised as coming with the 2009 update free from the retailer. What are YOU claiming the Alpine updates cost?

I got rid of my blackbird 2 nav system, between the cost of head unit and the portable unit at the time, it was almost double the pioneer d3, you can add that to your cost comparison.

dont really care, my d3 works fine, I downloaded the update from the avic411 site and burned my update disc.

for me the d3 sounded better, the ipod controlls function better, xm display looks better, and the bluetooth phone functionality is better. Plus I like the fact that it has a volume control knob.

astrobill just doesnt seem to have anything better to do with his/her time, that is what trolls do. Doubt they have a forum for the walmart equipment he owns so he just comes here to try to make himself feel valuable by playing monday morning quarterback. It is one of the drawbacks of having everyone connected on the internet. oh well, best way to fight that is to ignore him and be happy. cheers.

By the way, unlike ANY of you, I've actually e-mailed back and forth with the TeleAtlas company account manager who manages Pioneer's account about the effort. I know much more than any of you about when Pioneer ordered their data, what was involved in creating the disks, and how it compares to all the other companies' required effort to create map updates.

what a loser. First, I doubt this is true, secondly, what kind of a loser called a "company manager" about another companies production proceedures for a map disc to a gps unit he doesnt even own?

Then tries to brag about it online

"I know much more than any of you about when Pioneer ordered their data, what was involved in creating the disks, and how it compares to all the other companies' required effort to create map "

What's next? geez this guy/girl must have no friends whatsoever. oh, I left out the part about how he has better logic than everyone here, but I think that point was made. good luck buddy, it's lonely in outer space.