AVIC411.com

Head unit won't turn off.....plz help asap

First time installing a headunit ... everything works fine until ... when i turn off my car, the HU doesn't turn off...

the harness that I bought has some brown wire without label so i dont knwo what they are for. there's a total of 5 brown wires..

My F90bt has a Red wire label ACC and the RED wire on he harness is ignition 12V.. and i connected them together and i think that might be the problem .. is it? any pro can help me out plz....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The red wire needs to be connected to a switched 12 volt power source. Sounds to me like it's connected to a constant power source. Did the wiring harness you bought come with a wiring diagram that said what each wire was or is the writing on the wires?

i have no idea which wire is for ACC which one is for battery

the plug from the car has 2 red/yellow wire that's possibly the power source.. but it doesn't stats which one is which... and my harness has a red wire and a yellow wire and 5 brown wires that doesn't tell me what they are suppose to be...

Let's start at the beginning. What kind of car do you have? Did you buy a harness specific for your car? Because if you're trying to match the Pioneer harness colors to the color of the wires on your factory harness you're going to have several issues.

There are female harnesses that plug directly into your cars harness with standard colored wires coming off. Then there is the male harness that plugs into the avic (this came with your HU) that has those same standard colors. You match those colors up and tada, it works. 5 brown wires make me thing you're trying to tap into your factory wiring or you have some sort of amplifer bypass harness. I'm puting my money on the former. In any event, you might just need to take it to a professional if you're in over your head. Spending the $45 might be worth not ruining your brand new $900 HU.

this is the harness that i bought , it has a red and yellow wire yellow says battery, red says 12v ignition, and on the the wires that came from the HU, red one says ACC .. yellow one says +Battery. and the harness i bought has 5 brown wire that doesn't lable anything... i just match them colro to color and then it worked but it doesn't turn off ... i disconnected either the red or the yellow it won't turn on at all ... if i wire the red to yellow and the yellow to red .. it work too ... just won't turn off the same way ...

post-23599-12872755833617_thumb.jpg

Test the wires coming from the car. Go to your local Wal*Mart or Pep boys and pick up a light tester for $10. Find a wire that turns on only when the ignition is on and connect the ACC wire to that. Find a wire that has constant power and connect the yellow wire to that. Problem solved.

PS: Twisting and taping is not a secure connection. Get some connectors too.

Solder your connections, then you'll never have to worry. And crimpers are mostly crap because people don't ever purchase the right size ones for the wires they are trying to connect and don't use the correct crimping tool. Needle nose pliers don't do the job correctly.

I'm a few years removed from installing but that looks like some sort of german harness (VW, BMW). It looks like it's for an amplified system. Is your car amplified?

There's a few ways to make a secure connection, but that's not what he's asking for. I was simply pointing it out from his picture.

Nikefans, from that picture you provided, I only see 1 Red wire and 1 yellow wire, each coming from the unit and the vehicle harness. Red to Red and Yellow to yellow. It even says on the yellow wire "12VOLTBATTERYCONSTANT". If there are more red and yellow wires on that harness, which I thought I saw you mention in your first post, then there should be some kind of diagram that came with the harness. But yellow and red should never come in contact with each other.

OK then you should sleep on it. Getting frustrated gets nothing accomplished and can lead to more mistakes. My best advice to you would be to get to wal*mart or pep boys and buy a light tester. When you do, you can plug in the harness to the car by itself and test each wire individually to find one that is ignition powered. That will be the ACC wire.