AVIC411.com

Unhappy Campers

There are obviously a lot of unhappy F series nav system owners on this forum. I've been seriously considering purchasing the F90BT, but after all that I've read, I'm a little confused what to do especially since I haven't seen another unit that doesn't have it's fair share of shortcomings/problems as well. Therefore, I'm left with the following question: if the F series is not the unit to buy, what is and why?

For those of you who are not happy with your F90BT and could turn back the clock and install another unit in its place, what would you choose?

Kenwood DNX-5120 if you want similar form factor, 8120 if you want high quality.

Based on the inital thread, I assume you own an F series nav system, correct? If so, then what you are saying is that you would rather have the Kenwood unit than what you currently own? The reason I ask is that it's easy for people to jump ship but sometimes by doing so, we only jump into yet another (and sometimes worse) mess. One thing that I've read in a Cnet editor review that concerned me about the 5120 is that it is VERY slow accessing ipod tracks. Have you checked out Kenwood forums to make sure they too don't have a host of issues with their deck?

I hope you understand that I don't mean to challenge your opinion; I'm just trying to get as much information as I can before I make the plunge, which I'm hoping will be soon.

I prefer the f series, the voice control is handy even if it doesnt work 100% of the time. Its pretty accurate, just some of the albums it gets confused on cause they are weird titles. The boot time is not bad at all, i mean who starts their car and goes right away anyway. The only time that could be a problem is if you stop off to a store on your way then after restarting you have to wait a minute or so before it boots again. My only complaint is the voice control is only 95% accurate and maybe that is nitpicking but it would be nice to have it work everytime

I find it interesting that while there are obviously a lot of issues with this unit (at least for some), I have heard very few alternatives voiced from the folks on this forum. A couple of people have mentioned the Kenwood DNX-5120, but is this unit REALLY better? One thing I've heard about this unit is that the ipod connection is very slow. It also doesn't have the voice command. I'm just wondering (and starting to doubt) whether a unit exists that doesn't have it's fair share of issues.