AVIC411.com

New Update Soon

Hibernate sounds fantastic until you realise that it's not possible for the Avic units.

It's just not possible to put it in a standby mode while the engine is off.

Sorry to burst your bubbles, but this update won't be that much better, it will just be mainly bug fixes.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hibernate sounds fantastic until you realise that it's not possible for the Avic units.

It's just not possible to put it in a standby mode while the engine is off.

Sorry to burst your bubbles, but this update won't be that much better, it will just be mainly bug fixes.

It actually is quite possible, not sure where you're getting the idea otherwise. The unit can save its hibernate state file in the 15-20 seconds after the ACC is turned off. When the ACC is brought back to +12vDC, the unit can look for a hibernate state file and load it. Thats a Windows feature, not even something that has to be coded from scratch.

The unit has actually stayed on for a few seconds AFTER the ACC was turned off, try it yourself once, turn the car on, let the screen come up to the "please wait loading screen" then turn the car off completely. It actaully stays on for 3 seconds then turns off. So this thing doesn't not lose all power before turning off.

It actually is quite possible, not sure where you're getting the idea otherwise. The unit can save its hibernate state file in the 15-20 seconds after the ACC is turned off. When the ACC is brought back to +12vDC, the unit can look for a hibernate state file and load it. Thats a Windows feature, not even something that has to be coded from scratch.

Yes, hibernate is a windows feature, but the Avic units run WindowsCE and not Windows XP.

This is a different version and does not support hibernate.

Also the whole hibernate thing is flawed. To save the files it would require maybe 20 to 30 seconds. If you start your car and it goes on and off and on, it will just confuse the system. Also say you stop your car for a second and then start it back up it will still be saving the previous existance and then will have to start it back up.

Hibernate is not going to happen, give it up people.

The update will be bugs and if anything a slight load inprovement, but it's not going to be the miracle people expect.

Ravage, I agree with you that hibernation is not going to cut it. Having said that, you're wrong that Win CE can't boot faster. Depending on what drivers you need to load, it could have operational GUI for at least the audio sources before it would start working on loading Navi in the background. That way they have the audio part down before they load navi drivers and program and lastly they could load the video drivers. That alone would speed up the perceived boot time. Right now everything gets loaded before you're allowed to use the head unit and that may not be necessary.

Ravage, I agree with you that hibernation is not going to cut it. Having said that, you're wrong that Win CE can't boot faster. Depending on what drivers you need to load, it could have operational GUI for at least the audio sources before it would start working on loading Navi in the background. That way they have the audio part down before they load navi drivers and program and lastly they could load the video drivers. That alone would speed up the perceived boot time. Right now everything gets loaded before you're allowed to use the head unit and that may not be necessary.

I agree that Ravage is WAY off base by stating that WinCE is slow in general. How they are loading the OS is slow, but there is still room for improvement. Its not like there is a min 60 sec counter for WinCE to boot.

Are you guys really that gullible?

Guy's I've worked with WinCE as a developer and while you can change the way it can boot to some extent it is unlikely to happen for the Avic.

There are just too many required components needed for it to boot at a speed which you would expect for a normal stereo.

I am saying that they can make changes and probably will improve some aspects, but the time savings you are expecting just won't come.

You can bitch about me all you want, but that will not change the facts.

Mine maxes out at a little over one minute. The point of my post was perhaps pioneer has figured out how to make it boot like the Z series which is 30-45 seconds. Nobody ever complains about them so maybe thats what this update is for

The F series takes upto a couple minutes for full functionality.