AVIC411.com

New Update Soon

So I wasn't saying it won't boot faster, I was saying it won't boot in 10 seconds like mentioned at the start of the posts.

So booting in 50 secs compared to a minute is likley to be where this confusion came from. It's more than likely 10 seconds faster and not boots in 10 seconds.

Big difference here.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the problem with the boot time not so much how long for full functionality, but rather the time it takes for music to come on? I remember that being a big issue, that iPod music takes 20-25 seconds to come on...even so, personally I'm used to how the system works so unless the update has very promising fixes, I probably wont bother to install it.

there is also another problem. the sat nav part of this unit...

if the sat nav is starting this slow as it does most people are already driving their vehicles while it still boots. this does create a problem with the calibration of the sat nav. when you park your vehicle the sat nav remembers your position and uses that the moment the sat nav boots up. now every day the sat nav has to recalibrate it self since when the sat nav software is up and running the position is not the same. it takes about 1 minute to start and in 1 minute you can be far away from the last known position. also now people are by passing their boxes to use it while driving since nobody is gone wait the time when the sat nav is available for use. this brings another problem, road safety... all with all a bad design of bad software and under powered hard ware.

so lets hope they rewite the whole script spagetti and give us the box we all wanted.

Putting original hacks back in (assuming they don't fix things like green boxes themselves) should be significantly easier if they clean scripts. They really should just hire someone like Gurjon or diMka to rewrite the whole thing for them anyway.

Now, the GPS unit starts doing its thing as soon as it receives power, so the boot time should not affect it in any way. Besides, after a long enough time period being in the same position or away won't affect fix time. For me at least, by the time the unit has booted up, it always has a fix.

Guy's I've worked with WinCE as a developer and while you can change the way it can boot to some extent it is unlikely to happen for the Avic.

There are just too many required components needed for it to boot at a speed which you would expect for a normal stereo.

I am saying that they can make changes and probably will improve some aspects, but the time savings you are expecting just won't come.

You can bitch about me all you want, but that will not change the facts.

Not all developers are made the same though wouldn't you agree. I myself work in the computer/portable devices industry and have some first hand knowledge of embedded OS's. Even in my previous life, I worked on a Digital Picture Frame that had wireless connectivity among other things. That platform ran WinCE as well and it only took 15 seconds to boot.

You can even customized an embedded version of WinXP to boot relativity quick. This is what they use for electronic kiosks, Point of Sales Systems (Cash Registers), etc...

i talked to pioneer yesterday and the guy said that the only thing he knew for sure that will be in this fix is the problem with blackberry's and bluetooth. I asked specifically about a test mode lockout, but he said he didn't know. I hope they don't lock that. But he also said that he knows the update is soon, just not how soon.

I am going to call again here in a few minutes just to ask about it and will post once I talk to them.

i talked to pioneer yesterday and the guy said that the only thing he knew for sure that will be in this fix is the problem with blackberry's and bluetooth. I asked specifically about a test mode lockout, but he said he didn't know. I hope they don't lock that. But he also said that he knows the update is soon, just not how soon.

I am going to call again here in a few minutes just to ask about it and will post once I talk to them.

Locking testmode out wouldn't be too difficult if they did it right (not that I'm going to give Pioneer any ideas) though it seems they have ITT students doing their coding.

Just got off the phone with pioneer after waiting on the phone for a while. But this was a different guy and he said that the update is basically performance related. Boot-Up included, but he didn't know exactly what was going to be done to increase boot up. Also some bluetooth issues are going to be addressed, the blackberry staying connected is one of them. also said he knew nothing of a test mode lock out either.

said that the update is something within the next month. Not sure if that is this month or next month. Said that if the testers find a problem, they have to recode the entire thing for some reason. but yeah, thats what i was told