AVIC411.com

Point of Interest Searching?

Interested in buying the f90bt, but want to make sure it has a specific ability. I compared it with the Z3, and was shown this:

POI Categories by Brand Included

POI Shortcut Keys Yes

For the Z3, while the f90bt does not have any information. Does this mean you can't search for POI by category on the f-90??

And shortcut keys, what is that? Are you able to specify your "favorite places" from wherever you are and it will guide you to there?

I'm very close to buying this, and these features are important in my decision.

Thanks!!

Yup.

I just got the F700BT yesterday and I love it. You can search your POI. You access the POI and in the bottom left it has "Search". Works VERY well too.

And yes again, you can store all your address in a "Favorites" and you just click the Favorites button and they are all there named and all. Just press the name and sets up for you already. It's awesome.

Very very sick unit.

Haven't bothered to try and search for restaurants. But I was on a route

to my sister's new place and realised I had to pick up some drinks, so I

went into the system and very easily did a search for nearby petrol

stations, it listed them all by distance (from my end destination - this

is configurable) I picked the closest one to my sisters, and it added it as a "via" to my sister's place and rerouted everything automatically. I was

VERY impressed.

my problem with the POI in the f90bt is that you have to type in the whole word it doesn't automatically type the remaining letters if it's obvious like the old D3. And also you can only search at your current gps location which means if what your search for is not in the current location it wont search it unless you move the cursor around the map and do it by cursor, which is time consuming specially when your DRIVING. anyone figure out a hack for the spelling issue yet and the search like the d3 way not by cursor or gps?

Right so you can only search while driving if you do the software mod or cable bypass. There is a reason for that, so you can't really complain about that functionality.

As for searching I find it pretty good. If you type about 3 to 5 characters after selecting a poi it pretty much finds the place first in the list.

...And also you can only search at your current gps location which means if what your search for is not in the current location it wont search it unless you move the cursor around the map and do it by cursor, which is time consuming specially when your DRIVING. anyone figure out a hack for the spelling issue yet and the search like the d3 way not by cursor or gps?

You can search at current location, at destination, along route, at cursor, from saved criteria, and with a minimal hack, at arbitrary address.

One thing I've discovered with Pioneer's products over the years is there are some very interesting and advanced capabilities with their products. But for some reason, they fall pitifully short in their instructions and guidelines. They are actually worse than Sony...which is pretty darn bad!

You need to use, say, my poi.ui file (see Progress Report thread) because while the functionality is all there, Pioneer did not include it in the stock screen.

Arbitrary address is similar to search At Cursor -- you enter an address of a location, and search for POIs nearby. Unlike cursor option, you do not need to drag the map around to set center of the search.