AVIC411.com

Ipod alphabet search problem...

Im having this issue where i try to do a alphabet search on the song list, it says "not found"

i have a 5th gen classic firmware 1.3 and a nano 1st gen 1.3.

is it b/c of the firmware being a bit old? and where the hell do i find the firmware??? lol. i tried looking for it VIA google and apple and no go.

i wouldnt mind buying another ipod but the software i use (anapod) doesnt support the new ipods.

Thank in advance.

I'm pretty sure anapod doesn't put the songs in the same format that itunes does. Itunes renames each song with a random hex string and puts them all into random folders. The fact you use anapod and the Avic can even list the songs (I'm assuming it can) is quite a surprise to me. That said, the only way you can update ipod firmware is through itunes. So your choice is to break down and use itunes, or deal with it only half-working with the avic as it is.

I ususaly have that problem when I add songs to my ipod touch and don't do the Voice Recognition cataloging. The head unit needs to update the songs in its database to be able to find them. It also happened when I plugged in my girlfriends ipod which I didnt do the VR cataloging. I;m not sure if the unit will save the info of 2 different ipods, my guess is only one. so just try doing the VR thing again.

I think what it does with the VR is that it gives a numeric value to each artist and album so when you speak to it the voice triggers that number. I think it works like this because when I put new songs to my ipod and dont update the VR catalog i say for example "play the artist Dave Mathew's Band" it plays an artist that starts with one or two letters before or after the letter D, depending on wether you added a song or deleated one. If the command to play Dave Mathew's Band was for example the number 4 and you added an artist that starts with a letter before "D" then the artist Dave Mathew's Band will bump up and now be numbre 5 but it will still play number 4 whenever you say "play artist DMB" because that is what is in its data base. So just a VR catalog update will be nessesary. I don't know if I'm making my self clear or the above was too confusing.... anyway....

On the other hand I don't think it has to do with the firmware of the ipod. Here's a link to get the ipod firmwares if you need any, http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ or you could just get the latest firmware through itunes.

Once you do VR cataloging, you just go to your settings and turn it off. Then if you put new songs on your ipod turn it on again so that it updates the new changes and after that you can turn it off.... If you leave it on it will update the ipod contents everytime you turn on the car and that takes about 1 or 2 min depending on how many songs you have.... a waste of time so just leave it off once the VR is updated.

• 5 months later...
so i turned the vr on and let it do its thing. still doesnt work.

I am having the same problem with my 120GB iPod Classic. Everything plays fine, but if I try to use the alphabet search on Artists it just says, "not found". The search works fine in the albums mode, but that's not as helpful. I've been digging around and I can't seem to find any information about this. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem..

Correct playing, but a non working search functionallity.

I always used Anapod for updating the iPod.

After I started to use iTunes, all problems were gone!

I do have to say that I also updated the iPod firmware.

For a test, I used anapod again. And the problems were back...

I'm pretty sure Anapod uses another 'standard' for indexes!

Moral: use iTunes & update your iPod :D

Cheers, mr.Q

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem..

Correct playing, but a non working search functionallity.

I always used Anapod for updating the iPod.

After I started to use iTunes, all problems were gone!

I do have to say that I also updated the iPod firmware.

For a test, I used anapod again. And the problems were back...

I'm pretty sure Anapod uses another 'standard' for indexes!

Moral: use iTunes & update your iPod :D

Cheers, mr.Q

Thanks for the tip. I should have noted that I use iTunes for iPod syncing and that I have the latest version of the iPod Classic Firmware. I also recently restored my iPod to factory settings. This is a strange problem indeed.

• 7 months later...

i hate to bump up an old topic, but i am experiencing this problem as well on my x910bt. the odd thing is that i am using itunes 9 and my iphone 3gs. the itunes version is the latest available and my iphone has the latest firmware. i have just recently updated all of the tags on my mp3s and now the jump to letter isn't working for the artists. it works fine for albums though. i have made sure that the vr catalog has been updated as well. one thing i noticed is that some of them work. the letter A works but B-K don't work but then L and most others to Z work just fine. any ideas?

figured that i would post that i figured out the solution. turns out that the program i used to tag all of my mp3s (musicbrainz picard) automatically added some sorting tags to all of my mp3s that my x910bt didn't like. here is a forum post that has more info about the tags that were present in the mp3s:

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23203

• 10 months later...

figured that i would post that i figured out the solution. turns out that the program i used to tag all of my mp3s (musicbrainz picard) automatically added some sorting tags to all of my mp3s that my x910bt didn't like. here is a forum post that has more info about the tags that were present in the mp3s:

<!-- m -->http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23203<!-- m -->

I think it's a Pioneer bug. Despite the fact that the unit is supposedly "Made for iPod," I don't think Pioneer's genius programmers managed to figure out that iPod/iTunes has a "Sort Artist" field for people who want (ex:) Jimi Hendrix filed under "H" for Hendrix, and not "J" for Jimi, and who don't want him listed as "Hendrix, Jimi". I suppose you can't blame Pioneer, though--that feature was only added in what, iTunes 6.0? <sarcasm>

I was having the same problem as you - X920BT, 5000 or so songs in my iTunes library, but getting "Not Found" for 3/4 of the alphabet keys (including really common letters like "R" and "S"). As an experiment, I went into iTunes, selected my ENTIRE library (yes, that's EVERY song I own), clicked "Get Info," checked the boxes next to "Sort Artist," "Sort Album," and "Sort Album Artist", and deleted the information in each text box. (In other words, I deleted the Sort Artist, Sort Album, and Sort Album Artist information for *every* song in my library). After that was done, I synced my iPod, then took it and connected it to the unit. Every alphabet key now works, except I have to press "J" to find Jimi Hendrix (instead of "H"), "S" to find Stevie Ray Vaughan (instead of "V"), etc. And, of course, my whole iTunes library is now sorted by first name.

The really weird thing is that the "Sort Artist" bug screws up even seemingly unaffected letters. For example, I tried going back and re-inputting some of my "Sort Artist" data, thinking that maybe just one or two artists were the trouble. I got through the "A"s (Alan Jackson, etc.) no problem. After doing the "B"s, however, the "U" alphabet key stopped working. I don't have ANY artists whose first name begins with B, but whose last name begins with "U" -- why should (in effect) switching "Bruce Springsteen" to "Springsteen, Bruce" stop me from finding "U2"?

The other weird thing is that the "Sort Artist" bug doesn't seem to affect bands with "The" ("The Doors," "The Beatles," etc.) After clearing out all of the "Sort Artist" data, I expected that all of my "The _______" artists would be sorted under "T" in iTunes. Not so--"The Doors" were still under "D," "The Beatles" under "B," and so on. It appears that iTunes automatically recognizes "The ______" bands, and automatically puts the "Sort Artist" info in, even if you delete it. Even stranger, that DOESN'T seem to affect the Pioneer--pressing the alphabet "B" key gets me "The Beatles".

I've been really disappointed with the bugs, glitches, and seemingly poor quality control of this unit. I also have a Pioneer home theatre receivers, and it's just as buggy and unintuitive. I'm stuck with both of them for the next few years, but when time and $$$ present themselves, I'm dropping Pioneer like a bad habit.