AVIC411.com

New Features on the Z4

What new feature do you think should be added to the Z4?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What new feature do you think should be added to the Z4?

• Full Screen 3D Map Mode
    • Auto Dimming based on Time
    • Scrolling Music/Artist Titles
    • Ability to Search by Intersection
    • Faster iPod Interface
    • Other: Please post your answers

With the lifespan of the Z-series coming towards its 4th version, I was curious what options you think is needed that we haven't seen yet from the update DVD's. Given that we are restricted to updates that can be done via firmware only, I have some things I would like to see. Whats yours?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iPod artwork to show

UPdated maps (a MUST)

Bluetooth update (add in echo cancel, seemed to work well on the D)

i'd say maybe update the GUI a bit, since it seems to be the same in all models. but not as important

iPod faster control

ablility to transfer songs from say ipod to HD? or an SD Slot to transfer the music over?

BTW i voted 'other'

Voted other several features i'd like to see actually. !st i would definitely see a full speed ipod interface with video playback like every other freaking radio on the market. Also would to see scrolling on display not just on xm like the sirius display). Also would like to see support for HD Tuner (not that i would use it but i might if it had it). Spectrum analyzer like the avh-6600dvd (6 disc in-dash don't know if they still make it). Upgraded audio section (i.e. 4 volt preouts) if not 4 volt at least full support for the add on 5.1 processor without the use of a seperate wired display. RDS would be nice pioneer use to have it then they got rid of it they again if they added hd tuner wouldn't need it. Searching by intersection on the map. Bluetooth with music streaming and echo cancelling. Ability to rip mp3's to the hard drive. Ohh and last but not least a redesigned gui i mean we have 7" but i get limited information when im on xm or sirius. I know i'll probably get noe of that but if it was just one thing it'd be the ipod thing. ahh well, one can wish!!!

Only thing I really WANT is a full-speed iPod interface with functional scrollbars.

Things I would like are 800x480 (WVGA) resolution screen, HD Radio built-in or full compatibility with the HD Radio add-on, iPod video support would be nice, USB port so maybe we don't HAVE to use an Apple iPod, and all the entertainment screensavers the AVH-P6800DVD has.

If the navigation of my AVIC-9DVD were as good as the Z3, then I would say the AVH-P6800DVD and 9DVD combo are far superior. Unfortunately, the navi unit is only as good as a D-series.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Choice of:

(a) send back your current Z and have Pioneer upgrade the CD/DVD hardware for read speed to something more capable when loading CD's into the Z

OR

(B) Supply a piece of software that can be run on your home PC that reads your audio CD's and/or converts pre-existing MP3's, contacts CDDB real-time and creates audio files that the Z can play AND a way for you to write a disc that the Z can load fast!

I would still keep the existing auto-load feature as part of the Z, just give us the addition of being able to use our high powered PC's to create audio files and structure for fast import into the Z

OR

© All the above

===========================

2) Better use of "right hand turns" when creating routes and optimization to exclude/minimize traffic-light junctions for prime drive-time (allowing you to define what prime-time is for your locality) ie exclude certain roads based on time maybe?

maybe a way to "mark" a junction/route as being BAD at certain times of the day

• 1 month later...
Would like to be able to have the Zip (Postal Code)

as part of the input to find a location

IF ONLY . . .

postcode in Canada gets you to within 6 physical addresses... a USA zipcode gets you to "somewhere within" probably about 10 square miles

NICE IDEA, pretty unpractical for USA though unless you know the ZIP+4

• 2 weeks later...

One thing our legacy's OEM Navi system has that is kinda nice is a section for the car. You can set a date or millage that counts down to the next oil change, tire pressure inspection, battery inspection, belts etc. It is nice not to have to keep a book for that stuff and it flashes a reminder when it is due when you start up the system. I assume that would be a pretty simple addition of code and only use a small amount of memory.

One other thing I thought would be cool is the ability to set speed warnings. You place markers on the map that have a speed value. If you are close and moving towards to those markers at a speed higher then the assigned value it flashes a warning. It would be nice reminder for areas that have the speeding cameras.

Would like to be able to have the Zip (Postal Code)

as part of the input to find a location

IF ONLY . . .

postcode in Canada gets you to within 6 physical addresses... a USA zipcode gets you to "somewhere within" probably about 10 square miles

NICE IDEA, pretty unpractical for USA though unless you know the ZIP+4

Ya but it would be a nice addition to help narrow down the search. For example for some reason you know a zip and not the city.