AVIC411.com

F90BT in 07 VW MK5 GTi... no AM radio signal

That actually makes a lot of sense. The only accessories causing the problem are the one that have motors. Motors make lots of interference if there's a ground loop. I'm thinking one of two things is the problem or it could be both.

One: Its almost certain that he tapped wires instead of using a CANBUS adapter he may have grounded the radio's ground, the parking brake wire, and the bypass wire to different spots. Maybe the radio to the vehicle adapters ground and the parking brake/bypass to the vehicle's chassis. Also If you have an XM module installed its ground could also be attached to the vehicles chassis.

Two: Where he tapped the ignition wire could be causing electrical interference through the antenna. Since now you have the antenna amp connected to the ACC wire this could be a source of dirty power.

Did attaching the antenna to the ACC wire at least fix your AM reception?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That actually makes a lot of sense. The only accessories causing the problem are the one that have motors. Motors make lots of interference if there's a ground loop. I'm thinking one of two things is the problem or it could be both.

One: Its almost certain that he tapped wires instead of using a CANBUS adapter he may have grounded the radio's ground, the parking brake wire, and the bypass wire to different spots. Maybe the radio to the vehicle adapters ground and the parking brake/bypass to the vehicle's chassis. Also If you have an XM module installed its ground could also be attached to the vehicles chassis.

Two: Where he tapped the ignition wire could be causing electrical interference through the antenna. Since now you have the antenna amp connected to the ACC wire this could be a source of dirty power.

Did attaching the antenna to the ACC wire at least fix your AM reception?

attaching the antenna to the ACC wire did not fix the AM reception, but there was improvement in the sense that it wasn't total static, and i could hear faint voices (ie. "ghost whispering") if i turn the volume up high.

i do not have the XM module, nor the bluetooth. was hoping to do that latter later but this is stalling things.

The unit already has bluetooth built in.

I would pose this problem over at http://www.vwvortex.com there are people over there many times more knowledgeable about these cars then me and someone probably has experienced this before. My instinct tells me that your first installer may have done something with the wiring causing interference. Without being able to see exactly what he did its difficult to diagnose. The only difference between your install and mine is the use of the CANBUS adapter instead of tapping wires so im almost certain that the tapping of wires is the culprit. The use of your reverse lights causing goofiness makes this even more likely since the installer would have tapped the wire going to lights to provide the reverse signal to the radio.

I am having this same problem. I am thinking it is the cheap antenna adapter I picked up on ebay for $2. It has a very long metal housing and does not look like the Metra I bought from Crutchfield 7 years ago form my 2001. It does have the power wire and I hooked it up to the blue / white wire.

Even if the F serries only puts out 300ma, it should work fine. I can assure you the amp in the VW antenna DOES NOT draw more than 50ma. It is only one very tiny op-amp transistor.

In my previous VW I had the Metra adapter and it worked fine. I used the power antenna wire from my Kenwood KDC-X917 and was able to listen to all AM with no problem.

So I am going to order a new antenna adapter from Crutchfield and see if that resolves the issue.