AVIC411.com

F90BT Ipod Cable Issue

I have read over pages of these forums to find the answer, and they all point to hookin up the AV cables.

I have my F90 installed, the RED, WHITE, YELLOw are hooked up to the cable that came with it

This big bulky cable in addition to:

The Single USB cable from the back left side (if you are facing the back of the unit

are running into my glovebox. I have my ipod there, hooked up to the bulky cable that has the ipod like connection.

I had an AVIC D3, and the cable had that same connection, you would plug it in and it worked immediately and perfectly. I plug it into this cable and it doesnt work at all.

I have AV1 set to IPOD.

How do I have to hook it up? If I use the cable that came from my ipod when I bought it, and plug that into the single USB cable, the art and everything shows up, but the sound does not play. Im assuming the ipod is supposed to be hooked up to the big black cable that came with the unit since it looks identical to the cable the D3 used.

Please help :(

AVIC -> CABLE with large adapter -> Ipod = nothing

AVIC -> USB CAble - > White cable that came with ipod = art and playlist, no music

Is my AVIC cable bad?

That looks like a cheap aftermarket/3rd party cable to me - definitely NOT an actual Apple cable.

I beleive that "style" is what you're after, but I would spend the fundage to purchase the official Apple one if it were me.

From reading your earlier posts, I wasn't completely sure: you ARE connecting BOTH the dock connector portion to the iPod itself AND the USB connection as well, yes?

Cheers,

Kevin

I agree, just get the Apple composite cable. Its expensive at 50 bucks, I had numerous problems with my Pioneer branded cable for the f series and had numerous problems with it, Apple one all those problems went away. Things like front/back ff etc with the ipod via PAC remote, and charging of the iphone 3g. None of those worked before but do without any sort of hickup or issues now.

I keep having my iPod drop about once a day on bootup. It has not dropped WHILE using the unit, yet. All control functions work fine, etc. It still pisses me off that i have to unplug and reconnect the USB when it does that, I mean, there's no chip or anything in the cable is there? What effect should unplugging and plugging it back in have to do with the physical connection with the iPod. I could see if it was on the dock connector side with all the pins it has and some being faulty or w/e, but it will also reestablish connection by pulling out and reconnecting on the USB side, which tells me that this problem is more software oriented. My Kenwood 8120 that I still have on hand never once dropped my iPod in five months of using it. I also don't want to have to go out and blow another $50 on an Apple composite cable just to have it work fine for 2 days then start dropping the damn connection again. Damn... so conflicted.

Has anyone used say the official cable and NEVER had a dropout? That's what I would like to know. My new 700BT went 4 days after installing it to start this dropout BS again. I got a 700BT last June when they came out and it would drop it all the time (more than now), and it didn't make a difference if I used the regular USB cable with no audio from the iPod or the Pioneer one. It just seems odd that the iPod gets a little more reliable with each FW release, and yet everyone still suspects the cable. If someone can tell me that the Apple composite cable is a 100% fix and they have been using it day in and day out for a week or more, I'd be happy to go get it. I got my current 700BT the Wednesday before Halloween and it didn't drop the pod til 4 days after I bought it.

Right now, I'm trying to decide about which unit to keep and which to sell. I love the VR and ergonomics of the Pioneer over the KW, but the Kenwood's UI is much, much faster, and Garmin has better TTS and the unit as a whole does EVERYTHING it's supposed to do and very well. Except look as good as the Pioneer.

What I found just now while fiddling around with it in the car, I got in, turned on the unit and watched the iPod and the unit dropped it on boot like it has been doing. I noticed that the thing sends a wake up command to make the screen on the iPod light up and then immediately the unit sends the iPod into the "Pioneer" screen mode. Though, I noticed the iPod was still booting up when the avic dropped the ipod. I think what is happening here is that the iPod is not booting quick enough/the Avic is sending the control command too quickly here. Like the Avic says "wake up" to the iPod and then sends the control command through, but it goes unnoticed by the iPod if it is still booting up, so the iPod just sits there at the normal menu once booted. Once the iPod was woken up, the Avic picked up the iPod every time i tried after that.

It seems that the only time the Avic drops the iPod is after every time everything has been sitting for a while and the iPod needs a few extra seconds to spin up and get going.

That is possible, only fix then I guess would be to leave it unplugged or wake the ipod up first before the f series is powered on. But I have had much better results with the apple cable then with the Pioneer one, so maybe its defective, who knows. But I am not willing to pay Pioneer for another one, when my current apple cable works great, and the former pioneer one did not. You can definately tell the build quality of the apple one is far superior and more rugged, granted the cable doesn't have the latches to keep it secure. But I haven't had any issues. Glad someone gave that tip, who would of thought an apple branded cable would be identical to the pioneer one for the f series.

My IPOD 80gb all of a sudden will not work on bootup of the F90 whereas it would work for a week at a time. Once it stops working, it will CONSTANTLY not work at bootup. I'll have to unplug and re-plug the cable and it pisses me off to no end. I am amazed that pioneer was able to release this product to the public.