AVIC411.com

showing foreign characters instead of boxes in ipod menus

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been following this thread and also this thread here:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19394

With the method in the link above, even without going into Testmode, the system will reset itself after a certain amount of usage time (5-6 car starts, 4-5 hrs of driving).

How is the method in this thread holding over time?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
so i've been trying to get foreign characters to show on the iPOD song selection screen and finally figured it out. I'm not sure if it's been put up yet but here's the walkthrough

1. go here http://www.phm.lu/downloads/download.aspx?{940B734A-C437-41C7-ADED-2A4418802FD3} and download Handheld PC Pro, 2000 (ARM) . its a registry editor and put it on your SD card

2. for whatever foreign language you're adding, go to your windows\fonts directory and put the font into your SD card. I did mine for Korean language support so I used the gulim.ttc font

3. make sure you have the files in your SD card to start up in testmode and boot the sucker up

4. go access your SD card and copy your font (.ttc) file to the windows directory on your unit

5. now to fiddle with the registry, install the .cab file that should be named regedit.Jup_ARM.CAB if you didn't change it when you saved it to your card (it will give you a warning that the file is not compatible but just install anyway. it worked fine for me)

6. go to start -> programs -> PHM registry editor

7. expand HKEY_Local_Machine, expand software, expand Microsoft

8. go to edit -> new -> key and name it to "FontLink"

9. in the new FontLink folder, make another folder(key) and call it "SystemLink"

10. within the SystemLink folder edit -> new -> multistringvalue and for the name put "Tahoma" and for the value put (in my case) "\windows\gulim.ttc, Gulim"

(in essence what this is doing is that if the font to display the characters isn't available in Tahoma to then look through the user defined font file (ie gulim.ttc) for the font.

hope that made some sense cheers! :D

Will this be no longer work for v2.0 firmware, or it is not working for F500BT at all? I been playing with this for two days now but no success.

*** Edit ***

Nevermind, got it work now.

What did you do to get it to work? I tried for several days as well...

Originally, I tried the D_ChineseSupportAllButImput.cab but it didn't work, then I tried to copy the mingliu.ttc and modified the registry manually, but it also not working. Finally, I found the following:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms900751.aspx

I think the main part missing is the FontLinkMethods in in HKLM\System\GDI.

I guess the D_ChineseSupportAllButImput.cab + setting the FontLinkMethods should work but I didn't test it myself, as I made a cab to install the MingLiu & wince.nls, and set all registry entries according to that link, so that I don't have to install also the regedit and key in manually everytime I get into testmode. Too bad I can't share that cab as it is kind of big (> 8MB).

Hope this help.

*** Update ***

Like other posters said, the international character support just gone by itself after awhile and need re-install. Strange that this time I only install the D_ChineseSupportAllButImput.cab and it work. Not sure why it is not working when I install it two days ago.

Thanks for the reply. It didn't work out for me though. I tried twice. Bleh!

Are you having a F500BT? If so I think this may help. I kind of figured out the reason why the first time I tried to install the D_ChineseSupportAllButImput.cab and it didn't work, but now it work everytime.

Just don't power it off! At the beginning, I thought I need to power off (hold the power switch for a couple seconds) and restart the unit after the installation. but in fact, it will actually reload the ROM image and removed the registry changes. To do it properly, after the installation, just hit the reset button at the back of the unit and everything will work fine. Also, as long as the unit is not powered off, the font hack will keep working, so I'm now only put the unit in Standby mode rather than switch it off completely when I'm not using it. The problem now is the battery for F500BT is so bad that it didn't even last long enough for a night in standby mode. :(

The point is as soon as you saw the system loading screen when you switch on the unit, you can expect the font hack will lost and need re-install.

Oh, just a side note, you don't even need the registry editor. Just install the font cab and that's all you need. (well, I can only say it works for chinese characters, no idea whether the same font cab will work for other lang or not)

Thank you StupidPig! I tried what you suggested and it worked well. It didn't change the id3 tags to be asian characters but it seemed to read the file names fine. I'll check it out once I get my ipod cable and attach my ipod to see if it is any better.

Too bad whenever the system shuts off it loses the settings though. I will try it in my car overnight to see if that causes it to reboot. I always thought the whole reason why you wire the yellow cable to the harness is to keep the navigational system charged up while the car is off so it wouldn't have to reboot but I guess not.

This has given me a lot of hope though, thanks again!

I have my unit semi-wired. I have the cradle installed on my car with the audio out and power connected, but the 12v and reverse wire are not connected yet (will do it once I found the location of the reverse wire on my car). I remove the unit from the cradle everytime I parked the car (guess that the whole point to have F500 instead of F700/900).

The reset of unit just randomly happened, and I just not able to figure out any pattern yet. The most strange one is there is one time I bring the unit inside home and plugin the A/C supply during night, but then the next morning when I try to bring it back from standby mode, the System Loading screen comes up and I lost the font.

I used the cardle too, but only for holding the GPS, did not connect the fat cable. I left GPS on the cardle overnight. Sometimes, I remove the GPS and carry it with me. I wasn't able to drain the battery since I had the GPS. There was one time I had problem with navagiation audio and trid to drain it hoping the problem would go away by doing that. I turned the GPS on and left it in the house. It shuted off automatically. I turned it on again and it shuted off again after few seconds. Did this for two days and I could still turn it on instantly for few seconds. Never went to the long loading bootup.

Firrmware might make a difference, but I think you have updated yours to 2.0. So really no idea how come yours doesn't last overnight.