AVIC411.com

2009 Rav4 Check Engine Light & LS on with VSS wire F900B

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a pro's shop work ? That's why I do my on installs !! That's a total rip off and the serial no. should match and they are the reason why your warning lights were on, bad wiring.

Most shops just dont give a f*** they will basically just put it in and thats all, they wont pay attention to detail like you and me because, why would they... they dont drive it day to day, they dont look at it or listen to it...

Boris, so far I've driven downtown and havnt had issues, I dont think I was on wacker though... but there are circumstances, that shit is solid concrete all around

I've driven on Lower Wacker a few times with several different GPS receivers. There is NO signal whatsoever, even if I do get enough signal above ground. No matter how accurate F-Series is, without dead reckoning (VSS/Gyro) it will not be very accurate down there...

And this install is totally unbacceptable!

That is just poor workman ship, I agree.

Check the serial number on the back of the unit with the one on your box, are they the same?

I would get a new unit and get it installed somewhere else and/or do it myself.

I have worked in shops with people like that, and it isn't the right way to do things, EVER.

What was the shop that did it for you? Do their installers have their MECP? How long has that particular installer been working? Maybe he was a new hire and was embarrassed to show his supervisor that he made a mistake...

That is just poor workman ship, I agree.

Check the serial number on the back of the unit with the one on your box, are they the same?

I would get a new unit and get it installed somewhere else and/or do it myself.

I have worked in shops with people like that, and it isn't the right way to do things, EVER.

What was the shop that did it for you? Do their installers have their MECP? How long has that particular installer been working? Maybe he was a new hire and was embarrassed to show his supervisor that he made a mistake...

What is MECP?

As upset as I am about this I do not want to give out there name just yet, as I want to give them a chance to make it right. This shop was referred to me by the Toyota dealer as they work with this guy... I am going to let them know about this, that is for sure... But I am going to wait until I get this resolved first ;)

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, that the owner/manager does not know about what the installer did. At least I HOPE this is the case. However, the fact that the serial number do not match the warranty card and I did not receive the original box makes me suspect otherwise???

I am calling the installing shop pretty soon and will keep you posted.

I always gave the box back to every customer I ever worked for. The serial number is right on the box, and the stock stereo usually fits back in the box, so they can put it on their shelf at home and store it until it is time to put it back in the car.

Little details make the customers happy.

Boris, so far I've driven downtown and havnt had issues, I dont think I was on wacker though... but there are circumstances, that shit is solid concrete all around

I've driven on Lower Wacker a few times with several different GPS receivers. There is NO signal whatsoever, even if I do get enough signal above ground. No matter how accurate F-Series is, without dead reckoning (VSS/Gyro) it will not be very accurate down there...

And this install is totally unbacceptable!

I havn't seen that yet... mm, maybe I'll need to stop by your house ;) and test it...

Sorry to hear about your bad experience RJ. As an installer things like this are an embarrasment to me and my industry. Yesterday I put a stereo in and the plug didn't line up just right and one of the pins got pushed in. We sent it back and I put a different one in.

Here's why your serial number may not match - sometimes if we put something in a car and it doesn't work right we'll pull another from stock and if it works, it stays in the car and the defective unit is sent back. If it's busy, we may give the customer the box for the original unit since the box for the swapped piece is still in the stock room. Obviously not cool to do, but it does happen sometimes.

Our shop does care about the quality of our work since the customer's satisfaction translates into good word of mouth and more business. We're more expensive than everywhere else because we take the time to do the install the way the customer would want it done. If I finish a vehicle and any kind of problem indicator light is on I figure out what happened and resolve the issue - not just let it roll and tell someone to deal with it. If it means paying out of pocket for something to be fixed, so be it. I like to sleep at night w/ clear conscience.

As for MECP, don't let this certification fool you. Give someone fresh out of high school the MECP study guide and 2 days later they can take the test and be certified without ever having touched a car. My advice - shop around, talk to installers - not just salesmen - and keep in mind that MANY people can do a better job installing a stereo than someone who never has simply due to experience.

Like the old saying goes - "better, faster, cheaper - let me know which 2 you want." You may be able to do it better than someone else and obviously cheaper, but check some of these posts to see how many people are going on days or weeks to get it done right.