AVIC411.com

AVIC-F Hardwire Bypass for Dummies

Well had time to pull it apart again, and I don't like it when I can't figure things out! Tried seperating grounds a few different ways and still no go. Tugged in and out on mute wire and still nothing. Since Diannebrat said that's what is has to be I pulled the mute wire out completely, pinched the pin tighter togather and re-assembled. Voila! Video at Any speed. So I am posting this for any one else that may be frustrated and tried everything. Pinch the pin on the mute wire a little tighter togather then re-insert and make sure it doesn't come out. Thanks Dianebrat:)

Have you tried to swap the wire your using for your ground with a new wire. Maybe the wire it self is bad.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well had time to pull it apart again, and I don't like it when I can't figure things out! Tried seperating grounds a few different ways and still no go. Tugged in and out on mute wire and still nothing. Since Diannebrat said that's what is has to be I pulled the mute wire out completely, pinched the pin tighter togather and re-assembled. Voila! Video at Any speed. So I am posting this for any one else that may be frustrated and tried everything. Pinch the pin on the mute wire a little tighter togather then re-insert and make sure it doesn't come out. Thanks Dianebrat:)

Have you tried to swap the wire your using for your ground with a new wire. Maybe the wire it self is bad.

Thanks but my last post explains that I figured it out. It was the pin on the mute wire. It was in the right place and snugly in place. I had to pull it out and pinch it togather tighter and re-install. Then It was all good.

I am in the same boat caveman was in. I soldered the parking brake lead to the main ground. I was getting the parking brake lead is installed incorrectly error message, so I tried the softmod 3 times. I think there is either something wrong with my zip utility or editor, but regardless, I couldn't get it to work and it was messing up the rest of the system. I restored the original data.zip (deleted the softmod), relocated the mute wire and tapped it into the ground with a t-tap. The wire is in there snug, and I am pretty sure the t-tap worked, but still I am getting the error message.

caveman: i'm not quite sure what you mean by "pinching the pin together". The pin is definitely in there and I pushed the white tab back down. I think I'll go double check the t-tap and pull the mute wire out and put it back in again with my fingers crossed. Like you I find it very frustrating that I can't get something that is so simple accomplished.

Also, would a reset or eject+reset help?

I am in the same boat caveman was in. I soldered the parking brake lead to the main ground. I was getting the parking brake lead is installed incorrectly error message, I restored the original data.zip (deleted the softmod), relocated the mute wire and tapped it into the ground with a t-tap. The wire is in there snug, and I am pretty sure the t-tap worked, but still I am getting the error message.

You have a problem with the relocated mute wire, that's exactly what causes your symptoms, and what caveman666 confirms.

Summary, your relocated mute wire is either moved wrong, grounded wrong, or wrong in another way.

Well today I removed the t-tap and the mute wire. The tap had gone through the shielding of both wires so there should have been a connection. I crimped it again and re-inserted the mute wire. I also crimped the harness around the mute wire this time. Went for a drive around the block and confirmed it was working before I screwed the stereo back down and reinstalled the dash.

The hardware bypass is working now.

Well today I removed the t-tap and the mute wire. The tap had gone through the shielding of both wires so there should have been a connection. I crimped it again and re-inserted the mute wire. I also crimped the harness around the mute wire this time. Went for a drive around the block and confirmed it was working before I screwed the stereo back down and reinstalled the dash.

The hardware bypass is working now.

I feel your frustration. Glad you got it working. Just for your or other future people with problems clarification i will explain pinching the pin together tighter. When you pull the mute wire out of the harness you have the exposed pin that is kinda a u shape. I had to pinch mine together to make it closed more. Just dont make it too tight. then I put it back into the harness in its new location and it worked.

I did the hardware bypass. The video and navigation worked. However, there was no audio. I checked the speaker connections, the RCA connection, the Mute on/off, and still no sound. I disconnected the mute wire from the ground, the bypass was still working, but no sound. But, when I disconnected the parking brake ground, the sound came back to life, but the video and navigation didnt work. Where might have i gone wrong? I followed the directions as described in this topic...

• 5 weeks later...
A question I have not read yet I was wondering.

Does the mute wire NEED to be moved? Or can a new wire be put into the location it is supposed to be moved to? Eseentially is the mute wire just a handy premade wire/plug that is being used.

Yes you don't need to use the mute wire, it's just convenient because it isn't a function that most people take advantage of.

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help on this one - I got the yellow and black mute wire relocated and grounded to system ground - but I cant find the light green wire. My unit was from a SCION and I dont see the light green - only left over wires from main harness are green (dark) red/white,orange,purple/white,and blue.

Any ideas?

update - I grounded the red/white and I now seem to have menu contorl and nvaigation input while in motion.