AVIC411.com

AVIC-F Hardwire Bypass for Dummies

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im already at step 1, i pulled out the mute wire already and now I have no idea where to plug it...the 4 position on the bottom side has the pink/black wire labeled video input...not sure if i pull that out or not...also i did not install the park brake wire and wonder if the bypass will still work without that installed...i did the install myself and did not connect that wire and the pink wire for the speed sensor, will i encounter problems with those 2 wires uninstalled? please help..thanks so much

Will this work on a Z2?

Same method, different wire location.

I just finished installing my AVIC-F700BT last night/this morning. It was my first stereo install ever. It took me three hours or so, but I did it. I did the bypass as well, thanks to this thread!

It took me a while to get it and I was getting frustrated, but it was worth it. Honestly, I wouldn't even have known where to put the parking brake wire. I wasn't about to remove all the panels around my parking brake and shifter just to find it.

I ended up literally ripping out the white plastic tab on the Mute Wire with a small blade on a pocket knife. I tried pressing it down but it didn't work. Then, when I went to push it back into its new home it kept bending and wouldn't go in. I had to pull it back out, straighten it up, and then I put it in slowly. I bent the wire into an L shape, and then pushed in on the corner of the L to get the wire to slide into place. Finally it clicked.

Finished bypass. Special thanks to quickslip for posting about the Scion differences. I have a 2009 Scion XB and the head unit has no light green parking brake wire!!! Grounding the red/white wire on power harness (parking brake lead) and the mute wire like everybody else and the bypass works great.

I also put a switch in the ground so I could keep the kids from watching movies on the way to school.

Got a 12Volt switch at Radio Shack and wired both the brake and mute leads to one side of it and then ran a good ground to the other side of the switch. I could have hidden the switch better but it should work until they figure out what the switch does.

Since it's a big red shiney button I doubt they will want to touch it.

I'm new to the site, but the info has been great. Just had my F700 installed but I did the hardware/software mods myself. Works great!! However, the parking brake light stays on all the time. Is this normal ops? Also, I decided not to go with the PAC SWI-PS for OEM steering wheel control. Now I'm second guessing myself. How hard a mod is it and will it restore my factory steering wheel temp controls (on 98 Navigator) I lost with the radio upgrade? Anyone? :?:

i feel retarded with this question but i understand the part of where to move the mute wire to the other slot. but i am confused about the part of where to "ground" the mute wire to the light green handbrake wire. i also do not know what it means to ground a wire can anyone explain this step to me. thanks.

I'm new to the site, but the info has been great. Just had my F700 installed but I did the hardware/software mods myself. Works great!! However, the parking brake light stays on all the time. Is this normal ops? Also, I decided not to go with the PAC SWI-PS for OEM steering wheel control. Now I'm second guessing myself. How hard a mod is it and will it restore my factory steering wheel temp controls (on 98 Navigator) I lost with the radio upgrade? Anyone? :?:

No,

I think you now have grounded your actual handbrake.

You mustn't do that!

i feel retarded with this question but i understand the part of where to move the mute wire to the other slot. but i am confused about the part of where to "ground" the mute wire to the light green handbrake wire. i also do not know what it means to ground a wire can anyone explain this step to me. thanks.

As far as I know, basically all you need to do is "wrap" the gren wire and the yellow wire together onto a grounding wire (black wire, mine had a hook-like thing at the end of it) from a vehicle and seal it with electrical tape.

If you don't have a black grounding wire coming from your vehicle, there's one on the AVIC as well I believe you can use. Otherwise find something metal in the dash you can use, and secure the green and yellow wires to that.

Grounding simply means giving an electrical current a safe base to touch down on. That way you don't have live electricity zapping around inside your dash, which could be rather dangerous.

Fam42, sounds like you may have grounded more than the radio parking brake wire. When you grounded the parking brake wire from the radio it should be disconnected from the car parking brake wire. Installation guide says parking brake wire from the radio is spliced into the parking brake indicator on the car. For the bypass you simply ground the radio wire without splicing it to the parking brake. If you ground it and its still connected to the parking brake indicator for the car you will get a light all the time.

So go back and check you are not connecting your grounded wires to the vehicle parking brake wire.

Hope that helps.

I just did the hardware bypass on my newly installed F90BT, however I am experiencing a small problem. When I am stopped, I can edit settings but when I move I cannot. They grey out and do not let me change them.

Just to confirm, I moved the mute wire to pin 4 as shown. Then I connect the mute (yellow/black) to the parking brake (light green) and ground them to the frame, correct? Am I missing something? I used the quick clamp connects to connect the wires together (blue), perhaps there is a bad connection? But why can I edit the settings while stopped?

I never touched the actual parking brake wire in the car.

Thank you

i wonder if this thread will extend to about 6 pages long like the other one as well.

well here we are 6 pages later...

thanks for doing this writeup. I was going to just do the software mod but saw how easy it was and did this instead. Took all of 10 minutes. Whether it works or not... guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I did this a week ago when I installed the HD module. I kept kicking myself for not doing it the first time. I was frustrated trying to get the mute wire out, and then I just realized I can lightly pry up on the white plastic to release it. The unit is so much more functional now. lol