AVIC411.com

AVIC90DVD Getting Wrong CNDV-40MT off

My daughter bought a new car with built in nav. She had a shop remove her AVIC90DVD - AVHP6400CD system and gave me a grab bag of parts and wires.

I managed to get them hooked upped on the bench and working(almost).
Only problem was that the CXB9118 remote did not seem to work when the nav screen was showing. Could not even get by the opening nav screen message which required pressing the remote OK button. Nothing happened.

Anyway after trying resets and anything else I notice she had sent a box with sealed CNDV-40MT disks. Not reading the box ahead of time and just thinking this was an upgrade for the system I took out the CNDV-20 Disk from the AVIC90DVD and put in disk1 of the CNDV-40MT set. The screen said something like upgrading do not turn off the power and after 5 minutes it said finished. I then removed the 12 volts from the system and reattached it and when it booted up it said something like wrong disk insert the correct disk. Retried a few times same result. Try resettings both units, no good. Reinserted the original CNDV-20 disk hoping it would go back to the old firmware but did not. Again reset all and tried loading the CNDV-20 original disk but no good. Can't get even the opening nav screen and it won't even play a DVD movie disk like it use to before my stupid mistake of loading the CNDV-40MT disk (which I now see is for touchscreen systems only).

So any way I can get the unit back to using the CNDV-20 disk.
Really would appreciate some help here.
TIA
Slowbyte
To downgrade, you will need to enter the Service Menu and force the AVIC to replace the system program with the system program from the old disc. Here's how you do it:

Test Mode System Start-Up Method
1. Press both the RESET and EJECT buttons simultaneously, when +Battery and ACC are both in an ON
condition.
2. Release the RESET button only.
3. When the password entry screen is displayed, release the EJECT button.
4. Enter the password.
5. Once the password has been entered, press the OK button.
6. If the system matches the entered password the test mode menu will be displayed.
* Ordinarily, the ROM version will start up. However, if the system software is being stored on an SDRAM, and if
the ACC is turned ON while the EJECT button only is being pressed, the software on the SDRAM will start up.
[Password]
The password is "2580456".
Enter the password using the ten-key pad, then press the OK button.
All the alphabetical characters displayed are dummy displays.
Seven digits are necessary for the password. Entering eight digits will result in a password error.

This will put you in the Service Mode menu.

Make sure your CNDV20 disc is in the drive, or insert it now.
Select option 5. Program forced write
Choose to force overwrite of System Program (SYS) and Application Program (APL).
Press RESET. Now it should be able to load the CNDV20 disc.
GnatGoSplat

Thanks for the info.

I can get to the password screen however as mentioned the remote is not working correctly and I can not enter any #'s off the keypad or use the OK button.

However I quess it is worth either finding one on ebay or buying a new one.

Only problem is I am not sure whether the remote itself is bad or the IR receiver and decoding circuit in the headunit is the problem.

Well a $75 investment in a remote is worth a shot to have a system and if it's not the remote that's the way it goes.

Just for the heck of it in case anyone has seen this remote problem I have before let me describe it.

Before I screwed up and upgraded with the wrong disk and the original CNDV-20 was still working the remote (CXB9118) would not send even a simple OK to get past the opening nav nag screen. I am positive that the dip switches are set correctly because the remote worked just fine when my daughter had the system in her old car.

The only think that the remote can do to is the following.
When set in audio mode and I have the source on the AVH-P6400CD set to tuner pressing just about ANY button on the remote causes the screen to cycle through all the tuner sources. i.e. AM FM1 FM2 FM3 and back again to AM etc. It is interesting to note the change only takes place AFTER the button is released. That's all it does, again just about any button on the remote will do this. The others do nothing.

When I took out the Nav disk and put in a DvD Movie it started up and played but the remote had no control over the DVD, it just kept on playing. However if I opened the keypad section a small icon appeared at the bottom right of the screen and now if I pressed just about any button on the remote or keypad I would get the circle with slash icon on the bottom left of the screen as the movie continued to play.

Anyway I know it is a far reach, but has anybody ever seen this probem before or does anybody have a feel if it is a remote problem or AVH-P6400CD IR receiver probem ?

For one last shot in the dark I live in Bedminster NJ, if some kind soul lives close by perhaps I could bring the system over wired up and they can try their CXB9118 remote with it. Again just a long shot.

Again, Shawn thanks for your reply and info.
Slowbyte (Ron)
Thanks

Never knew that trick to check remote via a video camera but I'll give that a try.

Pretty sure it is not the connection between HU AVIC because HU has the tuner and cd player in it and the remote is suppose to work with the HU as a standalone piece of equipment (w\o AVIC) and I tried that with the same results.

Slowbyte
Not trying to hijack this thread but I have a similar problem that I was using the directions for a downgrade but ran into a couple of problems. First off let me state that I have an Avic DVD80 not aa Avic DVD90 but I just assumed this method would also work. I get into the screen with the reset and eject buttons and it asks me for a password but I have no way to enter it. What is a 10 keypad and what is the ok button. I dont see it. I just see the dummy alphabet. Is the password the same as the Avic 90???
Thanks in advance. :D
He is referring to the remote control with 10 key

[quote name="Termminaator68"]Not trying to hijack this thread but I have a similar problem that I was using the directions for a downgrade but ran into a couple of problems. First off let me state that I have an Avic DVD80 not aa Avic DVD90 but I just assumed this method would also work. I get into the screen with the reset and eject buttons and it asks me for a password but I have no way to enter it. What is a 10 keypad and what is the ok button. I dont see it. I just see the dummy alphabet. Is the password the same as the Avic 90???
Thanks in advance. :D[/quote]
Odd, I had that same issue when I put in my cndv-40 discs in my AVIC-9. It turns out it was looking for the touch screen connection. I did that same error on my test bench but once I integrated it in the car, it worked (this is a few years back, my memory is blurry). Try that and see if it resolves your problem. Install it using the proper cables (non RCA if I remember) and it should work with the cndv40.

Bzzliteyr
  • 1 year later...
[quote name="GnatGoSplat"]To downgrade, you will need to enter the Service Menu and force the AVIC to replace the system program with the system program from the old disc. Here's how you do it:

Test Mode System Start-Up Method
1. Press both the RESET and EJECT buttons simultaneously, when +Battery and ACC are both in an ON
condition.
2. Release the RESET button only.
3. When the password entry screen is displayed, release the EJECT button.
4. Enter the password.
5. Once the password has been entered, press the OK button.
6. If the system matches the entered password the test mode menu will be displayed.
* Ordinarily, the ROM version will start up. However, if the system software is being stored on an SDRAM, and if
the ACC is turned ON while the EJECT button only is being pressed, the software on the SDRAM will start up.
[Password]
The password is "2580456".
Enter the password using the ten-key pad, then press the OK button.
All the alphabetical characters displayed are dummy displays.
Seven digits are necessary for the password. Entering eight digits will result in a password error.

This will put you in the Service Mode menu.

Make sure your CNDV20 disc is in the drive, or insert it now.
Select option 5. Program forced write
Choose to force overwrite of System Program (SYS) and Application Program (APL).
Press RESET. Now it should be able to load the CNDV20 disc.[/quote]

I tried this, with option 5. It says formatting and a second later it resets. Problem is, it didn't format. Formats don't take a second. Anyone know my problem? If no one replies, I'm gonna have to send it back to Pioneer.