AVIC411.com

Are these really that bad?

Ive been doing alot of reading latly, and it seems theres alot of negitive issues with these units? Or maby it just seems that way because people post up for the help.

I just ordered a 900bt and am almost 2nd guessing it, Im going to install a Remote Start so i dont have to deal with the long boot up times i figured, but i was reading and it seems that alot of people are having problems with the MSN subscription also and other random things.

Someone give me some light and tell me its really not as bad as it seems. Should i just wait untill April i think it is when there is going to be another update (or did i just read that wrong?)

at the moment I have a Alpine IVA-D300, and theres nothing wrong with it, but i just want somting newer

im looking for a good Nav unit, that looks good (the new avic's look sweet) and i want to play the video from my Ipod/Iphone, good sound quality, Sirius etc...simple enough i figure

I, too, was concerned about the mixed reviews on these units. After I researched until my eyes bled, I finally took the plunge. For $410 off amazon for the f700bt, I couldn't resist.

I just installed it a few days ago, and I must say, I love the unit. Since I started right away with version 2.0 of the firmware, I think I have been spared from many of the most annoying bugs. Even with 2.0, I have experienced some quirks (ie, first touch sometimes doesnt get recognized, sometimes I have to disconnect/reconnect ipod, etc), but all in all, I really like the unit.

I looked at all the other comparables (JVC, Alpine, Kenwood) and I really liked the AVIC's interface and more importantly, its potential. With the mods on this site, I have been able to tweak my navigation screen, bypass the parking break, etc.

There are a lot of negative reviews prior to version 2.0 of the firmware. I hope those who posted reviews on the major eseller sites (crutchfield, amazon, etc) would update their posts with their experiences since version 2.0. That would paint a much better picture of the AVIC's performance/potential to perspective customers (like you). :)

If more people but the AVIC, then Pioneer has a little more incentive to keep improving it.

if you ARENT coming from a D3, you'll probably love it. If you ARE coming from a D3, you are going to in for a lot of dissapoinments. Not to say the F's are BAD, just not executed as well as the D3. Amazing how the little things make a big difference. For example..my customized background on the D3 looked a LOT better than the plain black background of the F series. :cry:

I was reading the pre-release thread a little bit and started drooling over the pictures a little. Im coming from a Alpine IVA-D300, its nice and all, the best thing it has is Puls Touch, but i just want somting new...and my Ipod interface, HA...ill select somting on the screen and it will take me to the verry first song in the entire Ipod, i have to disconect it, and then select the song, then plug it in, So the Ipod problems ill be able to live with im sure. The 900bt is allready on the way, i check UPS site about 3 times today because im dumb thinking it will update, Should be here friday, So ill have my old unit out waiting to put the new one in. Here are some pics of my current HU...from looking at this screen for the past 3 years its gonna be amazing looking at the 900

Alpine7.jpg

if you ARENT coming from a D3, you'll probably love it. If you ARE coming from a D3, you are going to in for a lot of dissapoinments. Not to say the F's are BAD, just not executed as well as the D3. Amazing how the little things make a big difference. For example..my customized background on the D3 looked a LOT better than the plain black background of the F series. :cry:

The background .bmp is the first image file in the image.res in the APL directory. You can change it to whatever you like.

actually no they arent bad, yes they are a bit slow for the load up but hey id rather have that than a disk. but it seems to me all the people that are compaining have probably payed full price in a store... yes the price 1100 in stores, but on the interenet they are like 650 to 700 i say thats a steal. and the ipod connectivity is freaking amazing plus the video quality is quite nice too. i got my f900bt for 220$ BRAND NEW, AND WOW I REALLY CANT complain at all except my install was very time consuming, i had to cut my dash and make a dash kit, stupid tsx! but im very happy

I really like mine but most as mentioned there are problems. Still pretty slow boot up but not too bad.

In my opinion the bluetooth sucks. Most phones work fine but there seems to be a lot that don't. My phone has worked with 3 other car systems and about 5 or 6 headsets all flawlessly but I've had a bunch of problems with my F90BT.

Do a search on your phone to see what comes up.

What phone? I agree its quirky but my phone didn't work at first and I read the thread on here about removing symbols (&, @, (, ), etc in both the contact list and 10-digit format for numbers and now it works fine. Is it a flaw? Absolutely! But there aren't many phones I have tried that don't work if you don't work with the quirks

I really like mine but most as mentioned there are problems. Still pretty slow boot up but not too bad.

In my opinion the bluetooth sucks. Most phones work fine but there seems to be a lot that don't. My phone has worked with 3 other car systems and about 5 or 6 headsets all flawlessly but I've had a bunch of problems with my F90BT.

The background .bmp is the first image file in the image.res in the APL directory. You can change it to whatever you like.

Thanks. Have you changed your background? Just curious how it worked out

I just got the Iphone 3g last week and ive seen some mix things about it on here allready.

Sorry but where did you get the information that the new update will be in April?

Thanks.

I read somewhere around here about a XM update for somting or another, and a map update i think.