AVIC411.com

steering wheel control to trigger voice command yet?

I know this has been hashed out before but I haven't seen any references in 2008 or with the Z3.

Has Pioneer finally modified the software to allow a wired remote to initiate a voice command?

I have a SWI-PS interface and my installer said only the 9 listed functions in the module can be programmed.

The Z is installed in a Honda Element.

Not yet. Perhaps you can ask a Pioneer Rep.

That was the primary reason why I opted to use the CD-SR1.jpg.

Its got all the buttons I need -voice command, bluetooth, volume, and even a quick button to pull up the phone book menu.

Plus, I've heard its a bit touchy when it comes to reliability of the PAC units.

I mean it works ok when it does work.

I also heard there is a noticable lag after you push a button.

Reason I am not installing the PAC unit is if the unit decides to go on the fritz, that means I have to tear up the dash, go back to the wiring and thats something I cannot do because its can mean more issues everytime I do that.

Maybe some PAC unit owners can chime in with a better perspective.

I ran by a local shop this weekend, and noticed that PAC had changed their Swi-PS... Instead of the large black box, as seen dangling in this pic...

DSC01225.jpg

it's now half the size and blue... Is this an updated version wih better functionality? Or just a form factor update?

32c3_12.JPG

Would be great if a wired solution with IR learning were possible...

Yes, the PAC wired remote has significant lag compared to my factory system. It's really irritating. Sometimes I think I can hold the button for an extra moment to allow for the lag and I'll get 2 hits on the control. At least I got a 1 button mute out of it, that was a big loss going from the N to the Z.

I have a remote from my N that partially works for the Z but the voice command button doesn't and that's the one I really want. Looks like I'll just be getting the wireless for the Z.

After $2000+ for the unit, accessories and install, what's an extra $30 for something Pioneer should have bothered to include in the box?

I just finished my install a couple days ago and have the new PAC SWI-PS - and yes, it's the new version little blue box...Programming was a PITA, it would stop mid-way and I had to start over...took 6 times to finally get it...

My BIGGEST complaint - the volume control seems to go crazy - it works, but too good. I hit the volume button once (up or down) and the PAC will sometimes adjust the volume by one number and sometimes by 6-9 numbers!!!! - insane, I darn near blew my speakers and ears cause it just went crazy and increased the volume of my Z3 to close to 30 (way too much for stock speakers in my coupe!!!)

Anyone else have this problem?? The other buttons work fine, I programmed the voice button to change AV sources - works great and so does the track up/down - it's the volume that sucks...

Have SWI-X installed with transmitter LED installed in headliner just behind middle of front seats. Works great and programming was a snap. You can program steering wheel buttons for anything you want and don't have to have cd-sr1 mounted in your way on the steering wheel.

On the other hand, talked to PAC and new interface that is supposed to include Phone/voice control features is due out in March. Price????

Not yet. Perhaps you can ask a Pioneer Rep.

That was the primary reason why I opted to use the CD-SR1.jpg.

Its got all the buttons I need -voice command, bluetooth, volume, and even a quick button to pull up the phone book menu.

Plus, I've heard its a bit touchy when it comes to reliability of the PAC units.

Thats the one I use works like a champ

• 2 months later...

When you program your PAC be sure to do it while the engine is running as on some vehicles it uses voltage levels to sense which button is pushed on the steering wheel controls. You will get more accurate and quicker response this way as it will be programmed to use the higher system voltages present when the engine is running.

I'm just making sure I know the reason for this thread..

This discussion is about people whose vehicles are equipped with volume controls and track changing controls on the steering wheel correct?

I was wondering how this could be maintained because I own a yukon and I'd like the ability to use my steering wheel funtions, but it seems like its not possible as smooth and with no delay like with stock units.. Has anyone found a effective and errorless solution?

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this will help or solve anyone's problems but here it goes.

For the last month the volume down button on the steering wheel in my 07 Silverado (non classic) has been working intermittently. The volume up button would sometimes stick, the mute button rarely ever work, and sometimes the source would change even though I didn't hit the source button.

First thing I did was take it to the dealership and had them replace the steering wheel controls.

That didn't fix it.

Then I emailed PAC for help. During our emails I discovered a service bulletin for the wiring harness adapter that I purchased in order to hook up my Z2, I have the OS-3. The problem is with accessories (ie head unit) not turning off when the key is removed and door opened. Or the chime not turning off when the key has been removed from ignition. I had both problems every so often. The bulletin suggested soldering jumper wires across the connector between the OS-3 and the vehicle's harness for the GM-lan, positive, and ground.

Now, what does this have to do with the SWI-PS? Well I used the +12v and ground coming from the OS-3 to power my SWI-PS. I also suggest checking the relay that came with the adapter to see if it has a diode across poles 85 and 86. If not you can potentially back feed power through the +12v accessory wire.

I made the repairs to my vehicle yesterday and so far I have noticed that my steering wheel controls are much more responsive. Not only that, they all work now and the stereo turns off when I open the door. No more open close, open close.