AVIC411.com

I"m in the same boat with the MSN function. I'm just trying to get teh activation code off of my unit, however when I press the status button to connect to get that info off of my headunit, i just get the trying to connect message. I live in a strong MSN coverage area too, so I don't know what's going on! I'd at least try to take advantage of the 3 free months!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I"m in the same boat with the MSN function. I'm just trying to get teh activation code off of my unit, however when I press the status button to connect to get that info off of my headunit, i just get the trying to connect message. I live in a strong MSN coverage area too, so I don't know what's going on! I'd at least try to take advantage of the 3 free months!

Hey Snakeyes i couldn't find your post for a "soft reset" unless it was the one where someone recommended pressing the reset button. Yes pressing the reset button will refresh MSN Direct for a couple of powercycles, but that is not acceptable because i loose all of the EQ, Crossover, and other settings. I have already pressed the reset button on three occasions and the unit has come back "Connecting to MSN Direct" after a couple of stops. Is there another way to reset these units without loosing all of your settings?

Hey Snakeyes i couldn't find your post for a "soft reset" unless it was the one where someone recommended pressing the reset button. Yes pressing the reset button will refresh MSN Direct for a couple of powercycles, but that is not acceptable because i loose all of the EQ, Crossover, and other settings. I have already pressed the reset button on three occasions and the unit has come back "Connecting to MSN Direct" after a couple of stops. Is there another way to reset these units without loosing all of your settings?

That is what I meant by soft reset. I had the same issue where mine locked in the connect screen when I would select status and getting zero info. I reset the unit and MSN connected shortly afterward. No problem since but there is always tomorrow. :roll:

I had to reset everything just like you mention and know of no way around that. Wish I had an answer for that one too. Not that big of deal since I have no amps but a pain no less.

That is what I meant by soft reset. I had the same issue where mine locked in the connect screen when I would select status and getting zero info. I reset the unit and MSN connected shortly afterward. No problem since but there is always tomorrow. :roll:

I had to reset everything just like you mention and know of no way around that. Wish I had an answer for that one too. Not that big of deal since I have no amps but a pain no less.

In my experience, MSN problems usually start after messing around with Test Mode. Without that it usually keeps working. If I do, it gets stuck, but a quick reset fixes it...

well, i did a soft reset again this morning and, Voila, it connected and I was able to get the code i needed to activate the account! Did that online, went back to my truck and it works like a charm! Did notice that the gas prices were not incredibly up to date, but everything works great.

I think you're right Boris. My 90 is bone stock but took it to the Ford dealer for alarm service and they cycled the key a few times in quick succession. That confused the head unit and the boot sequence was interrupted. After that I started getting the connecting screen for MSN. Reset fixed it.

well, i did a soft reset again this morning and, Voila, it connected and I was able to get the code i needed to activate the account! Did that online, went back to my truck and it works like a charm! Did notice that the gas prices were not incredibly up to date, but everything works great.

This depends on when people who collect gas price data look at stations and transmit information. In Chicago most stations seem to have today's prices, but there are always several with 2-days old pricing...

I have MSN on a Garmin 780 portable GPS and it works very well and is about 85% accurate which is pretty good.

So I was expecting the same function and performance on the F90BT with MSN.

The data does load in a fairly timely manner but nothing comes up on the main screen when traffic issues are uploaded to the unit. On my Garmin unit when you have entered a route and then some delays in that route come up it pops up and tells you.

On the F90BT it says in the manual that it computes your original route based on the current traffic at that time. If you have the option configured to automatically re-route if problems are detected it does that but does not give the option to re-route like the Garmin does.

Also on the Garmin it has a battery in it's power adapter to receive MSN data even when the power to the GPS is off so when you turn on your gps it has the current information.

Yes the F90BT MSN could be better, but it does work in my area and has proved useful but it is not as user friendly as the Garmin version is.

I think Pioneer could take a few good pointers from Garmin on how MSN should work.

• 2 weeks later...

My F90BT works fine with traffic in LA and I am willing to go as far as 90% on the traffic. I have my car parked all day in the parking garage and parked in my garage at night and I never had a problem not getting the info from MSN, although I sometime don't have bars I always get the traffic. The biggest issue is the weather... I sometimes get No Local Weather Available but world wide comes in right away. After about 5-10 min weather comes comes in. Gas prices and movies work pretty much all the time. That's saying a lot because in LA there are mountains all over the place and I still receive coverage.

My MSN Direct worked fine for a few. After that it says “Connecting to MSN Direct†and nothing happens. I contacted MSN, they blame Pioneer. The MSN rep actually said that Pioneer Engineers are aware of the situation. I call Pioneer and get put on hold for 20 min and transferred three times for them to blame MSN’s signal strength. No knowledge of the issue and no patch or other solution was offered by Pioneer. All they can suggest is that I return the unit. I live in the Greater Seattle Washington area, MSN’s home. I have never seen more than three bars of signal strength. My FM Reception works fine in comparison. If MSN can’t maintain a signal in their home turf then what is up? IMOP it is a software glitch or a communication/protocol error. Based on the fact that resetting the unit always brings back the MSN service but looses all of my EQ and other settings, and previous experience with Microsoft authentication, it would seem a software or protocol problem indeed. Has anyone else had similar misfortune?

since the beginning i couldnt trying to connect to msn service. i let it leave out for 24 hours straight, but it didnt work. im in the LA area.

same probelm here. i'm in LA where i shouold get a good signal!!!