AVIC411.com

F500BT Install - can't figure out wires..

Hi all,

So I've got F500BT with ND-G500 amp. There are 3 cables going out of the ND-G500. Two are said to be installed into "car stereo" and one "into car".

Does anyone have any idea where "in car" third needs to be pluged in? Also - the cables going from Pioneer amp have more pins that Metra Harnesses (Pioneer have 8 pins, Metra harness has 4 on one end and 6 on the other). So what's going on here?

Anyone in audio install business here? Can someone help out?

Here is a pic of the Pioneer harness that comes with the amp. No Metra harness i've seen will fit this. Plus Metra harness for Toyota has 6 pins, when two of the small plugs on Pioneer have 8 wires (4 speakers on one plug, and 8 different car signals (mute, ilumination, brake, power, etc) on the other plug

harness.jpg

there are 3 plugs in your picture. I refer to them as left, middle, right plug. They are all Pioneer specify harness, chances are you will have to cut the wires off from the plug. In my case, i cut the red, yellow and black wire from the "right" plug, and connect to the red, and black to my factory radio harness. the yellow wire goes to the battery directly. Then you cut the 4 set of speakers pairs from the "middle plug". (total 8 wires). And splice it to your factory radio harness, that goes to each of your speakers. the left plug is for those who wants to keep existing factory radio to work in conjunction which the ND-G500 and F500BT combo. If thats the case, cut those 8 wires from the "left" plug and splice them to the factory radio line-output 8 wires. I left out the "left" plug untouch in my setup as I am using F500BT as the only source of music.

O.K., then how do I get adapters to hook to an American Ford vehicle so I can use this device with my factory stereo? I have done many car audio installs, and can manage, but I like to keep it clean and neat using the original factory harness. I searched thru Metra, but that didn't give any useful results. Can anybody help with these adapters? :)

Those plugs are not Pioneer specific, but they are Euro specific ISO connectors

Would the adaptors from this site work?

http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/find.php

I am thinking of adding a ND-G500 to my 08 Saturn Vue. After finding my harness, I am trying to ensure that this has all the connections needed for the ND-G500. Please let me know if any of you have used this option. I may just order it this weekend and let it known of my experience.

JM,

From what I can tell, those are specifically for Parrot Kits. You need to find out what your vehicle specific connectors are (lets say 'US Conn') and then find an interconnector that is US Conn>ISO compatible. On the ISO connectors (there are two) one is for speakers, one is for power etc.

If those Parrot kits have what I describe above then you're sorted, so check on their site for your vehicle.

Would the adaptors from this site work?

http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/find.php

I am thinking of adding a ND-G500 to my 08 Saturn Vue. After finding my harness, I am trying to ensure that this has all the connections needed for the ND-G500. Please let me know if any of you have used this option. I may just order it this weekend and let it known of my experience.

They look like just what the Dr. ordered. I have ordered for my install and will let you know how it works out. Thanks for the linky. :D

I installed the ND-G500 with the F500BT in a 2008 Armada and...best of all did not cut or splice into a single vehicle wire. Here is what I did:

The ND-G500 connectors are ISO connectors. For the female connectors, I bought a harness - i believe made by metra, but I could be wrong - but I looked it up on the internet and found it as standard ISO female connector. The male connector is actually the same as the VW standard harness.

I also bought a pair of nissan harnesses made by scosche to attach the ISO harnesses I mentioned earlier to them and plug these harnesses into the vehicle and factory radio and avoid cuting or splicing.

I had also heard about them being the same as the parrot connectors, but I don't know about this. Hope this helps,

I finally did my install today on a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis.

The ISO adapter from the NG-D500 to the parrot quick connector had the red and yellow wires crossed. I don't know which one had it wrong for the always hot to the ignition/acc hot.

I cut and spliced the amp harness to the parrot connector for my radio anyway, and so corrected the above mistake. The amp wires to the parrot harness were 10' long, so my process shortened them to about 2'. The factory wiring and radio are intact with using the amp to parrot splicing.

The indicated parking brake wire of violet/white turned out to be brown/black, but otherwise went O.K. I did not hook up the reverse gear detect yet.

So far on a short ride all works well. More testing to come, and a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac install in the future when I get the necessary install parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm pretty stumped about the install of the ND-G500. I find the manual completely lacking, but that may just be because I'm a noob.

I was hoping you guys/girls could help me out with a couple of questions.

As far as I can tell, the ideal way to install (with no splicing), would be to get a connector from the current stock radio harness to ISO, and connect to the amp. Then get another connecter for the 2 "output to radio" connectors, and connect the amp to my car radio (Xterra 08, but this is just a general question about install). But, this leaves me with a lot of questions

1) How are you supposed to connect those 2 ISO outputs from the amp to the car stereo? It seems strange that you have to connect those 2 outputs to your existing radio,which has just one receptor. Do they make a 2-ISO harness that will connect to a stock radio? I haven't been able to find one.

2) from what i have been able to find out about the wires going into my stock radio, it does not have a mute, reverse gear signal, antenna, or speed signal. will this be a problem, or will the amp+F500 combo work fine without those? If not, do I need to dig deeper into the car to find those and connect the amp (instead of trying to connect the stock radio wiring/harness to the amp?

3) is +12 V the "battery backup", "yellow" wire on the G500?

Thanks for any help.

Brandon

As far as I can tell, the ideal way to install (with no splicing), would be to get a connector from the current stock radio harness to ISO, and connect to the amp. Then get another connecter for the 2 "output to radio" connectors, and connect the amp to my car radio (Xterra 08, but this is just a general question about install). But, this leaves me with a lot of questions

One of the connections is from the radio to the AMP, the other goes back to the car wiring harness. There is a double ISO connection for each.

1) How are you supposed to connect those 2 ISO outputs from the amp to the car stereo? It seems strange that you have to connect those 2 outputs to your existing radio,which has just one receptor. Do they make a 2-ISO harness that will connect to a stock radio? I haven't been able to find one.

I was able to find one via the quickconnector link above. Search around for your manufacturer's connector. The connection to your radio splits speakers and other connections to separate ISO connectors. The Always hot, keyed hot, ground, dash lighting etc. are part of the 2nd. Now one pair comes from the car harness to the adapter, the 2nd half goes to the adapter to the back of the radio.

2) from what i have been able to find out about the wires going into my stock radio, it does not have a mute, reverse gear signal, antenna, or speed signal. will this be a problem, or will the amp+F500 combo work fine without those? If not, do I need to dig deeper into the car to find those and connect the amp (instead of trying to connect the stock radio wiring/harness to the amp?

You don't need: mute, car antenna, or speed signal. You don't need reverse gear signal unless you want a rearview camera hooked to the F500. I "think" you don't need the cradle external antenna unless you use the MSN service. The parking brake signal is for safe use of the product that you can't access some features while you are driving that divert attention from driving. It is safer to hook it up, and may prevent loss of insurance claims if you knowingly use it against manufacturer's instructions.

3) is +12 V the "battery backup", "yellow" wire on the G500?

Not sure about this question, but Yellow is to an always hot connection, the red is to an ignition/ACC hot (key in turned to ACC or engine on).

Thanks sgthawker,

Very helpful. If you don't mind one more question....

I found a kit for my car QCnis-2.

It has one female harness to accept the male end of the original car harness. that makes sense.

Then, it has 2 single-ISO harnesses, and one double Iso-harness, as well as a male factory style harness to plug in to my radio.

OK...here's where I was hoping to get your input. Do two single ISO harnesses go into the double-ISO harness on the ND-G500? Do the two single-ISO harnesses on the Pioneer ND-G500 go into the double harness on the parrot kit?

That seems too easy! Are there any other male-female converters necessary?

My main point of concern is that I see that the two factory harnesses have wires connecting them (looks like they are power wires that bypass the "loop" of iso connectors). This isn't called for in the pioneer diagram, since all wiring is supposed to go directly into the double-ISO slot (i realize this is because the QC-nis2 is for a parrot bluetooth setup). Do you know if those wires connecting the two factory harnesses are just duplicates of what is also routed to the two single-iso harnesses? It seems like there shouldn't be any direct connection from the original harness and the factory radio, which would happen with this harness setup (QC-nis2)...did you cut these, or did you just not use one of the ND-G500 single iso harnesses (the one with power wires).

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

You said your radio does not have mute, reverse gear signal, antenna, speed signal, then you don't need to

worry about hooking them up. Your ND500 does not need them to operate properly. the red+12v, yellow+12v, black(ground) you should have identify easily. The difficult part should be to identify which 4 pairs wire go directly to speakers side, which 4 pairs is from factory radio output.

Then, it has 2 single-ISO harnesses, and one double Iso-harness, as well as a male factory style harness to plug in to my radio.

OK...here's where I was hoping to get your input. Do two single ISO harnesses go into the double-ISO harness on the ND-G500? Do the two single-ISO harnesses on the Pioneer ND-G500 go into the double harness on the parrot kit?

That seems too easy! Are there any other male-female converters necessary?

That's it! Very easy. The only problem I felt I could address was the length of the ND-G500's harness. I needed near 2' and it is 10'. The power inversion of the connectors may have been the Quick Connect's harness.

My main point of concern is that I see that the two factory harnesses have wires connecting them (looks like they are power wires that bypass the "loop" of iso connectors). This isn't called for in the pioneer diagram, since all wiring is supposed to go directly into the double-ISO slot (i realize this is because the QC-nis2 is for a parrot bluetooth setup). Do you know if those wires connecting the two factory harnesses are just duplicates of what is also routed to the two single-iso harnesses? It seems like there shouldn't be any direct connection from the original harness and the factory radio, which would happen with this harness setup (QC-nis2)...did you cut these, or did you just not use one of the ND-G500 single iso harnesses (the one with power wires).

You do need some of these bypass wires for the radio. What ever was originally available to the radio is still needed. Some of the wires may have been in your car's harness for a navigation radio that the F-500 does not use or that your "normal" radio does not use. The radio still needs power (hot & keyed), ground, & illumination, at least. I used a wiring diagram for my car to determine what all of the wires in the original harness were.

Good Luck!